Thread: Hymn from BJH

Hymn from BJH

This is the title track from Sarah Brightman's new album, which will sell zillions. It's far from being BJH's best song but many people love it. And the reason for its popularity is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I enjoyed that. Nicely dramatic!

I agree with Iris that Hymn is not among BJH's best material but it's a nice song nonetheless and if this version encourages people to check out the band, then that's great.

as a big bjh fan, i also hope that it might shine the spotlight on the band, a little...for some new people.
    that said, this is one of the very few bjh songs that i always skip (schwartz...go figure)

I've seen BJH twice this year, both concerts were concluded with a rousing version of 'Hymn', and I have always enjoyed that song.
    John Lees did mention that SB's version was soon to be released, so I hope the royalties just pile up.

don't expect anyone to ever namecheck BJH in the process. they'll talk about another “emotional masterpiece” and a “deeply spiritual journey for the festive season” instead.

The best-known songs of most bands are amongst their best songs - Supper's Ready, Heart Of The Sunrise etc. Hymn is an oddity. Their best-known song but far from their best song. Puzzling.

^I'd say 'Mockingbird' is a close contender for their best known song. 'Life Is For Living' occasionally pops up on UK radio as well. (And I'm not sure either of those are Yes/Genesis' best known songs...)

I like 'Hymn'- the arrangement is really well done in the way it slowly builds.

Hymn has always been my favourite BJH track. It still features on my regular playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    This is the title track from Sarah Brightman's new album, which will sell zillions. It's far from being BJH's best song but many people love it. And the reason for its popularity is?
    It's catchy? It was one of their hits.

We went to see JL's BLH in Preston a fortnight or so ago and Hymn still retains its regular place as the encore.
    What was news to me was that JL mentioned that the song was around at the time of their debut album but the band vetoed it being recorded for inclusion.
    It didn't get recorded until album No. 8 and promptly becomes their best-known song!!!!
    What if...

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    don't expect anyone to ever namecheck BJH in the process. they'll talk about another “emotional masterpiece” and a “deeply spiritual journey for the festive season” instead.
    Very nice BJH namecheck in this article from The Daily Telegraph:

After a five-year absence, Sarah Brightman, the world’s best-selling soprano, returns with Hymn, the title track from her new album. Brightman was initially given the song on a mixtape in the Eighties and she played it in her car and loved it but didn’t think it was right at that time in her life. Now, she has revisited the song originally recorded by British prog-rock band Barclay James Harvest, given it an orchestral and ethereal feel, before making it the essence of the album. While Brightman's previous album was based on space and science, this one is spiritual, not religious but a sense of something bigger and hope in an uncertain world.

Brightman shares, “Many years ago, I was driving up the highway in Carmel and I put a cassette in the tape player, and the first song that came on was ‘Hymn.’ "I remembered the song from the Seventies, and it’s a beautiful song. I’m really looking forward to letting it go and having its wings for everyone to hear."

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    I enjoyed that. Nicely dramatic!

I agree with Iris that Hymn is not among BJH's best material but it's a nice song nonetheless and if this version encourages people to check out the band, then that's great.
    I'm sorry, but I really prefer the original version. In some way Sarah Brightman's voice annoys me in this song.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I'd say 'Mockingbird' is a close contender for their best known song. 'Life Is For Living' occasionally pops up on UK radio as well.
    I highly depends on in which country you are living. In the UK BJH's most well known song might be Mockingbird or maybe Galadriel, here in the Netherlands it is Titles and in the German speaking countries it is either Hymn or Life Is For Living. They were really huge in that area in the late 70s and well into the 80s.

I understand that “Berlin” is also well-known in Germany (for obvious reasons).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    “It’s written by the ‘Cats’ guy.”

I love the song...

I've always loved this, thanks.