Thread: RIP Tony Joe White 1943-2018

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

RIP Tony Joe White 1943-2018

Swamp rock king Tony Joe White died 24 October 2018 in Nashville at age 75. The Louisiana native penned his own radio hit "Polk Salad Annie" and Brook Benton's hit "Rainy Night In Georgia," among other great songs. I always loved his swamp guitar sound. Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Rory Gallagher's nod to Tony Joe White...

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Huge loss. Loved his swamp, bluesy soulful sound!

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^^^
    He probably should've used brass sections more often, because I often found him soporific .... Even here, it's under-used.

RIP TJW
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Elvis did three of his songs. 'Polk Salad Annie' was never recorded by Elvis in the studio but must have been in every show he did from when it was introduced in 1970 for a good 4 years or so.

The other two are slightly less well known but of equal quality, 'I've Got A Thing About You Baby' and 'For Ol' Times Sake'. However, they were by far the best products from what was a very lethargic batch of sessions (his first sessions at Stax) for Elvis.

A very talented songwriter.