Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: STEVE HACKETT: At The Edge Of Light - January 25 2019

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Production has been a big obstacle for me as well when it comes to Hackett. It just sound flat, cold and way too wet for albums these days. There really have been some great songs over the last several years. I'd definitely be interested in a comp. of the last 25 years.
    The last one I've heard which didn't have that reverb-swamped sound was To Watch The Storms. I don't know that he's made an album as good as that since...possibly coincidence, possibly not!

Wild Orchids was the first album which had that sound. But it's transitional, in that I think there's a bit more of a quirkiness about that album. That means I've played it more over the years. I remember really not liking 'Down Street' at first but it became perhaps my favourite track on it. He hasn't done anything like it since that I've heard.

I'm not in the loop anymore with Hackett, so I don't know whether he has released a best-of from the 2000s/2010s. I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just noticing the second sentence of Paulrus's post above: Are you me?
    LOL, no. It's just that every other person at the show was a drummer!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    He's very good. I was talking to my buddy who went with me last night to the Fox Oakland show and he's also a drummer. We were talking about the tightrope CB had to walk most of the night. I thought it must be both a dream to play all those drum parts, but also kind of a nightmare due both to the technical challenges but also knowing every prog-dude in the audience knows those parts by heart and any deviation will NOT BE TOLERATED! I thought Craig did a good job straddling that fence -- delivering what the songs required and what was expected from the fans, while also making it satisfying and personal for him as a player. Alas, he can't sing like Gary O'Toole (he seemed miked very low when he came out for "The Virgin and the Gypsy"), but he makes up for it in the drum chops department.
    This drummer boy agrees with you. I saw the show last week. Big fun. Craig did a fine job. Nice kit (you can see it described by Craig on YT)!
    Steve is such a pro. Great band, great show, as always.

Shows like this make life worth living!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post

Ain't that the truth? Best show of the year for me & well worth the trip up to Chicago.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    This drummer boy agrees with you. I saw the show last week. Big fun. Craig did a fine job. Nice kit (you can see it described by Craig on YT)!

Agree 100%. We work our asses off at high stress jobs so we can take a couple of weeks off to do just what my wife and I did in late September...four shows in three cities in three weeks (Crimson, Hackett, Byrne, Flying Colors). That's what we live for.