Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: STEVE HACKETT: At The Edge Of Light - January 25 2019

STEVE HACKETT: At The Edge Of Light - January 25 2019

cd9.jpg

25th October 2018 London: Following the tremendous success of 2017’s The Night Siren” (charted at #22 in Germany, #28 in the UK), legendary former Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett announces the release of his new studio album At The Edge Of Light on the 25th January 2019. The album which features ten songs, sees Steve unite a vast amount of styles ranging from guitar driven rock to epic orchestration, from world music to the reflective and atmospheric all brought together in Steve Hackett’s unique style.

Steve says: “In these dangerous times, deep shadows feel even sharper than usual and we find ourselves standing at the edge of light... The contrast between dark and light weaves its way throughout the album in many ways, from the sense of good fighting evil through to the interplay of dark and light opposites magically combining in cultures, including the heartbeat of India and primal tribal rhythms. Ultimately, this album embraces the need for all musical forms and cultures to connect and celebrate the wonder of unity in this divided world.”

At The Edge Of Light is released in a number of formats including a Mediabook CD plus extra DVD with 5.1 surround sound mix & behind the scenes documentary, double vinyl LP + CD, Jewel case CD and digital album.

Steve Hackett has established himself as one of Rock music’s finest and recognisable guitarists through his time with the legendary Genesis who he joined in 1971 and a solo career following his departure from Genesis in 1977 and is a hugely influential guitarist particularly in the Progressive Rock genre. At The Edge Of Light will be Hackett’s 26th studio album in a solo career that began in 1975 with the release of his debut solo album Voyage Of The Acolyte.

At The Edge Of Light was mainly recorded in Steve's own studio but also around the world. The album features international artists, including Durga and Loreley of Pink Floyd vocal fame with drummers Nick D'Virgilio and Simon Phillips from USA, Sheema on sitar from India, Icelandic drummer/percussionist Gulli Briem, tar player Malik Mansurov and Swedish bass player Jonas Reingold... This album also features Paul Stillwell on didgeridoo, Rob Townsend on sax, bass clarinet and duduk, Amanda Lehmann on vocals, John Hackett on flute, drummer Gary O’Toole, Roger King and Ben Fenner on keyboards, Dick Driver on double bass, violinist and viola player Christine Townsend... All magically honed and engineered by Roger King.

Tracklist:

1. Fallen Walls And Pedestals
    2. Beasts In Our Time
    3. Under The Eye Of The Sun
    4. Underground Railroad
    5. Those Golden Wings
    6. Shadow And Flame
    7. Hungry Years
    8. Descent
    9. Conflict
    10. Peace

The album is released shortly before Steve performs as special guest on the Cruise To The Edge in February 2019 and the On The Blue cruise featuring Justin Hayward, also in February

Hackett recently played a series of Genesis Revisited shows with Orchestra and will perform two UK dates with acoustic sets in early December before touring Europe in April/May 2019 and has just announced a UK tour in November 2019 with a much anticipated ‘Selling England By The Pound & Spectral Mornings & Album Highlights’ set.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Was just about to post about this. Thank you for saving me the trouble.

Doesn't seem like anything ground-breaking or new, but will probably continue what he's been doing on his last few.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Doesn't seem like anything ground-breaking or new, but will probably continue what he's been doing on his last few.
    It probably will follow that formula he has employed over the last ten or so years - but at this stage of his career, I can accept that. I always like at least some of the tracks and enjoy hearing what he comes up with (my one gripe is the frequent use of Amanda Lehmann whose voice does not appeal to me personally.) And while he gets criticism here for the Genesis tours, it's worth noting that he does at least put out new music on a consistent basis. I look forward to it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I found THe Night Siren to be one of the better things he has released since Wild Orchids so I'm pretty interested to hear this.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'm always thrilled to know that Steve Hackett is still releasing new music, and quite regularly at that. Granted, with Roger King firmly ensconced in the producer's chair, we pretty much know by now exactly what the formula is going to be, but as Progatron said, I can live with that. There are always some good new tunes in there, and just hearing him play guitar on new songs every couple of years is a treat. He's happy at where he is now, and he's constantly touring, so good on him!

That Jonas/NDV rhythm section...

(And Simon ain't half bad either!)

I'm in.

But what's with Steve's love for bad album artwork?
    The Prog Corner

Well this cover art beats Wolflight imo. My least favorite Hackett album cover! It's too bad their breakup wasn't more amicable. If he and Kim were still friends there might be more Kim Poor album covers. I always appreciated her artwork anyway.

It's inspiring to see how much creative fire he still has. By far the most prolific songwriter to come out of the Genesis camp.

Count me in as interested. I went through a bit of SH binge a few weeks back, just playing his studio CDs & in reverse order of release. His last 3-4 CDs seemed cut from the same cloth &, to these ears, lacked imagination & experimentation. But, I've been a fan of his from way back. I used to order signed CDs directly from his old website. I'm in my more reflective years now so I'll let my ears tell me if this is something I wish to purchase.

Rock on!
    Last edited by Casey; 10-26-2018 at 09:09 PM.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

In an age when classic acts just rely on their heyday it’s great to see guys like steve still writing and producing new music! Hats off to steve. May he rock on for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    In an age when classic acts just rely on their heyday it’s great to see guys like steve still writing and producing new music! Hats off to steve. May he rock on for a long time.
    Indeed! I love that he's so active and prolific! Respect. Steve is awesome!

Long time drummer Gary O'Toole leaving as per a FB post this morning, that's a drag.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Long time drummer Gary O'Toole leaving as per a FB post this morning, that's a drag.
    Quote Originally Posted by facebook
    Steve Hackett announcement

It is with immense sadness I must announce my departure from The Steve Hackett band.
    It has been my privilege and pleasure for nearly 20 years to hold this chair.
    After a conversation with Steve it became clear we had come to a parting of the ways.
    It will I feel be for the good and benefit of all concerned.
    On this occasion I will stand and wave the guys off and hope they do well, I know they will.
    They have been my road family for so long I shall miss them but things need attending at home.
    Some of you are aware of the horrid year I have had personally.
    I shall devote more time to my school in developing the new environment and also my online school. While also finding a new studio and finally getting to grips with writing my own material.
    Thank you for all your support to the fans who have always treated me with respect.

Love and Hope

Gary
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Marco Minnemann is the replacement for the cruise gigs next year!

Marco is a great drummer but I sure do get sick and tired of seeing the same old gig hounds showing up for rent money. IMO the performances always sound like an artist showing up for Tuesday Night Open Mic Jam Night. It is the artist's tunes with <insert_hired_gun_here> playing their 'schtick' over top of it.

That UK DVD with Jobson, Wetton, Marco, and the Holdsworth clone guy immediately comes to mind. It is cool for a few songs. Then it falls apart when the side men start wandering away from the core essence of the songs and doing their schtick. Bummer.
    Last edited by timmy; 10-28-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

What has been going on with Gary? Is he okay?

Love and Hope, indeed!

Fair winds and following seas. It's been a pleasure listening to & watching you behind the kit.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Craig Blundell has announced he is touring with Steve Hackett in 2019 via Facebook.

Craig was a beast when I saw him with Steven Wilson- at least the kit is in good hands...

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Craig Blundell has announced he is touring with Steve Hackett in 2019 via Facebook.
    Really? So I assume Nad will be assuming all vocal duties then?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

So now both Craig and Nick can swap between Hackett and Steven Wilson.

I've been living with a review copy of this for a couple of weeks now and it's quite good. I will say (and this comes as no surprise) it is not a huge leap in style and sound from The Night Siren or Wolflight. However it is a lot more instrumental overall than those two albums and it has some pretty fantastic moments. The centerpiece of the album is surely Those Golden Wings, an 11-minute piece with loads of twists and turns: orchestral, acoustic, choral, theatrical... and the closing trio of tracks (the first two of which are instrumental) form a pretty decent mini-suite. It's got a lot of dark moments, and if it's that bendy, crying Hackett guitar stuff you crave, it's here in spades! The guy fires off killer solos like he's signing his name.

Pretty solid, overall. Doesn't break a lot of new ground, but doesn't have to, either.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I haven't even listened to The Night Siren yet. He's too prolific, bless his soul...

I was not big fan of night siren ,Although record is good .
    I hope this one ,Is more like Wolf Light.
    Wolf light is best thing ,I ever heard him done imho besides debut solo of course.

First song released. Jonas on bass!

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    First song released. Jonas on bass!
    Thanks for sharing. Pretty good Hackett-prog IMO.

It also sounds to me like it was either intended for Squackett 2, or was written in the spirit of that album. If Squire rubbed off on Hackett at all from doing that project together it was a good thing IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.