Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson VIP Raven Live CD..(Really??)

Steven Wilson VIP Raven Live CD..(Really??)

So, Mr. Popular[emoji12] is added an unreleased Live Raven disc(60min) with Chad Wakeman on drums for patrons who upgrade for the VIP on the 2nd leg of the tour. (Only some select shows)Really??? This is something most or all fans who cant make the shows would go nuts for. Why oh why would he do this. He"s really starting to have a ego the size of this website. End of rant!!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Is it true that you only get to keep the DVD if you don't sit?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is upgrading even possible? Not that I'd do it. He's basically shouting out "Torrent this!"

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    So, Mr. Popular[emoji12] is added an unreleased Live Raven disc(60min) with Chad Wakeman on drums for patrons who upgrade for the VIP on the 2nd leg of the tour. (Only some select shows)Really??? This is something most or all fans who cant make the shows would go nuts for. Why oh why would he do this. He"s really starting to have a ego the size of this website. End of rant!!!!

I don't really think it has anything to do with ego.

I’ve been looking for a live Raven show for a long time
    . Montreal or Boston would be the closest for me but I do not see a VIP ticket option for either venue

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post

King Crimson did something slightly similar, giving free a 4-cd box set for those who bought the Royal Package...

Jethro Tull gave a free live CD to everyone who attended most of their US shows in Oct/Nov 2005. Pure class! A live performance of Aqualung. Saw them at Carnegie Hall. (I've got two copies because I dragged my wife along but of course she didn't want hers.)

Chad is #1, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Jethro Tull gave a free live CD to everyone who attended most of their US shows in Oct/Nov 2005. Pure class! A live performance of Aqualung. Saw them at Carnegie Hall. (I've got two copies because I dragged my wife along but of course she didn't want hers.)
    Seeing Lindsey Buckingham in a few weeks and along with your ticket you get a CD of his new compilation album. Nightwish also did this when I saw them back in March. They handed the CD's out at the door as you walked in which was cool.

He's basically shouting out "Torrent this!"
    Bingo.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Chad is #1, btw.
    Thanks! Oh....
    Chad

This guy can product-ize just about anything!

I do not see what is wrong with what Steven Wilson is doing. He is providing a product at the price he feels is worth his time and effort. If you, the consumer, feels it is out of range financially, or you oppose the price, you have the right to refuse to purchase the product. It would be unfortunate if this CD audio was made available via torrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I do not see what is wrong with what Steven Wilson is doing. He is providing a product at the price he feels is worth his time and effort. If you, the consumer, feels it is out of range financially, or you oppose the price, you have the right to refuse to purchase the product. It would be unfortunate if this CD audio was made available via torrent.
    +1

I don't think anyone's saying it's "wrong," just that it's not very fan-friendly to only make it available to people who live in certain geographical areas, or are willing to go to the trouble or expense of travelling to one of those areas. And then there's the price to get it - I actually don't know what that is because I'd never pay to meet Steven Wilson, even though I enjoy some of his music and performances. Maybe the price is reasonable. I'm sure this wasn't all his own decision, or at all his own decision.

I don't think anyone's saying it's "wrong," just that it's not very fan-friendly to only make it available to people who live in certain geographical areas, or are willing to go to the trouble or expense of travelling to one of those areas. And then there's the price to get it - I actually don't know what that is because I'd never pay to meet Steven Wilson, even though I enjoy some of his music and performances. Maybe the price is reasonable. I'm sure this wasn't all his own decision, or at all his own decision.
    Yep. Fans are getting hosed

It sounds like 2018 to me: Everybody wants everything, but nobody wants to pay for it.

I think he thinks he's throwing a nice prize to his hardcore fans.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It sounds like 2018 to me: Everybody wants everything, but nobody wants to pay for it.

I want to pay for it. Duh

SELLING a nice prize... Which is fine, although some will have no way to buy it even if they want to.

Precisely. For this, each price could be different. If I had to travel to one of the shows to then pay for the VIP package to obtain this cd, then all my expenses would equal the amount I'd be willing to buy that cd. For some, it will cost a lot more than for others. But, that's up to the individual.

SELLING a nice prize... Which is fine, although some will have no way to buy it even if they want to.
    This is the problem.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

You're obviously overlooking the Super Duper Deluxe Remix with Blu-Ray and a bag of chips that will be coming out in 6 months time.

I'd kill for that recording so yeah, it's a little infuriating. I'm out in the sticks and I have zero chance of catching a Wilson show. If his management is going to dangle a bone like this I hope they have the decency to put it up for sale on Burning Shed some time after the tour.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Precisely. For this, each price could be different. If I had to travel to one of the shows to then pay for the VIP package to obtain this cd, then all my expenses would equal the amount I'd be willing to buy that cd. For some, it will cost a lot more than for others. But, that's up to the individual.
    I'll bet not many of his fans in Hawaii will be willing to buy it.

And there ya have it. It's no different than a deluxe cd package that offers more content when you buy that top tiered item. If you do not buy the item that contains those songs, you don't get those songs. Simple as that. Buy it,then ya got it!

For the last year, Gene Simmons has been making stops around the U.S. and other parts of the world hawking his massive 10 CD set "The Vault". I know... gasp when you see it's Gene from KISS... but, stay with me here... [read only the bolded parts if too long]

Gene Simmons here. You might think you know all about me, but believe it or not there’s more… After years of being in the spotlight with KISS, I’ve decided it’s time to share another side with you, a deeply personal one. With The Vault, I’ve created a 50-year time capsule (1966 to 2016) that serves as a soundtrack to my life, filled with songs I’ve written, but have never been released. Until now.

The Vault includes 150 recordings featuring notable rock and roll artists and of course, my bandmates from KISS.

As an obsessive music fan and collector myself, I’ve packed The Vault with exclusive mementos created just for The Vault - a new Gene action figure, an “In Gene We Trust” oversized commemorative coin, a deluxe book containing over 50,000 words and 160-pages of unseen photos from my personal collection. As well as a track-by-track commentary on every song. And I’ve hand selected a personal gift from me to you direct from my very own archive.

The best part? I will hand deliver your Vault at an exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime, event near you.

This is my personal invitation. Welcome to The Vault.
    - You and a guest will spend one-on-one time with Gene in your area
    - “Songs & Stories” Playback Session and Q&A: You and a guest will attend an intimate Vault preview
    - Gene photo/video/autograph session
    - Gene hand delivers your limited-edition personalized Vault
    - Vault Welcome Kit: Signed Golden Ticket, T-Shirt, Download Card (with “Are You Ready”), And laminate

price tag: $2,000

Here's photos of the events: http://fanphotos.genesimmonsvault.com/

If you want those 150+ tracks, you have to spend $2,000 to get those tracks. There's some fans who have flown half way around the world to attend one of these events because Gene wasn't scheduled to come closer. What's interesting is that none of these tracks have made it to torrent sites. Everyone who has purchased The Vault seems to have listened to Gene when he stressed that he would like those who have purchased this to not give out the tracks.

I don't begrudge Simmons for making this business model. He has done it to circumvent pirating. "You want these songs -- come see me and get them!" His price tag is set and people decide with their wallets. In this case, it was a huge success. Sure, there will be tons of fans who do not get to even hear these tracks -- that's their problem, no one else's.