Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: D.F.A. - 4th

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Even with Leone instead of Piras singing at NEARfest, it was so cool to hear those songs done live.
    Truly a live music experience I'll never forget! I still remember them opening with Escher and having the palpable experience of feeling my ass getting kicked!

Speaking of that show, anybody know why they did not include Leone's track on the live CD? Were they not happy with it? I remember Leone arrived on stage at literally the very second he was supposed to start singing, and sort of turned it into a IBdB advertisement at the end, but felt the performance was pretty good overall. Not sure why that song didn't make the cut.

Bill

So, I gave both DFA and 4th a listen last night, first time in many moons. DFA is as good as I remember it, wonderfully atmospheric smart prog tunes.

4th came together a bit more for me (especially the last track really won me over for the first time, and is a beautiful conclusion), definitely some parts are jumping together more. It also feels less "different" than before; I remember thinking at the time that the album was a real departure but it now feels more similar than not. I won't pretend it all clicked outright but it definitely connects more than before. I also want to go back and hit the first album again.

So yeah...fun to dive back into these albums and discover new pleasures
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Very good band with a real tragedy of an ending.
    Yes.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Although I would listen more to their live album, 4th is clearly their most elegant and mature album.
    The Start, Middle and End tracks are pure bliss!

^^^ Yes, "elegant" is the perfect descriptor for DFA 4th. It just oozes elegance. Intelligence, grace also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Truly a live music experience I'll never forget! I still remember them opening with Escher and having the palpable experience of feeling my ass getting kicked!

Speaking of that show, anybody know why they did not include Leone's track on the live CD? Were they not happy with it? I remember Leone arrived on stage at literally the very second he was supposed to start singing, and sort of turned it into a IBdB advertisement at the end, but felt the performance was pretty good overall. Not sure why that song didn't make the cut.

Bill
    Didn't know about Leone singing on one track. I have that live cd and find it very meaningful. The band seem so appreciative of the reception they were receiving. Big fan of these guys and the live one always brings Florida to mind because I took that one with quite a few other live cds for the vacation. I think 4th is my favourite of the studio albums but love them all.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    anybody know why they did not include Leone's track on the live CD? Were they not happy with it? I remember Leone arrived on stage at literally the very second he was supposed to start singing, and sort of turned it into a IBdB advertisement at the end, […] Not sure why that song didn't make the cut.
    Granted I wasn't present, I can still clearly recall how many attendees reported on the highly obvious reaction of antipathy on the part of the D.F.A. members. Presumably they were generally unhappy at how that whole deal (i.e. Leone's involvement) had turned out. I'd certainly say that no matter how much I might dig IBdB or even a couple of tracks on the Leo Nero album, his voice doesn't exactly fit the surroundings of "Esperanto" as song.

But yeah, that live recording is great all the same.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Granted I wasn't present, I can still clearly recall how many attendees reported on the highly obvious reaction of antipathy on the part of the D.F.A. members. Presumably they were generally unhappy at how that whole deal (i.e. Leone's involvement) had turned out. I'd certainly say that no matter how much I might dig IBdB or even a couple of tracks on the Leo Nero album, his voice doesn't exactly fit the surroundings of "Esperanto" as song.
    Wow, I thought he did a great job with it. Yeah, he's not Piras, but he surely cut the parts. Maybe it sounded a bit under-rehearsed (not sure when they'd have had a chance to rehearse much), but Leone's voice was not bad for this tune. I'd be surprised if that was the issue, but I do think DFA was not pleased at how he took over at the end of their performance.

But, who knows. If they weren't happy with Leone's voice, in some sense they have no one to blame but themselves as they could easily have done another instrumental.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    it sounds more like a modern jazz album than a rock record - which doesn't do justice to its content. That's my only complaint, but it's a big one, it doesn't allow me to fully connect.
    I'd urge you to take in this album once again w. some ouzo and some time alone; just listened myself (over something else) and I have to say that 4th actually comes across as less of a 'fake-fusion' album than their debut. But it needs to be loud and be allowed to linger on for full duration. Quite possibly their best release, as far as I'm concerned. In a sense I'm starting to think that it's an ideal finishing statement, their stakes of producing something less rewarding getting higher by this. Of course, who knows what Alberto Bonomi might have realized later on...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ I'll do as you say, except from the ouzo part, it will have to be raki or tsipouro which is just as strong, but more friendly to the stomach.

Just for the record, I never said that this isn't a very good album. Baltasaurus in particular is killer.

Sorry for the shameless plug but.....I love this band.

Reviewed by MJBrady on 22 Aug 2008

I am an unbashed fan of this band, so, it was with great enthusiasm that I welcomed the news of this cd release early this year (2008). I wondered that since 1999's Duty Free Area was the last studio release from the band if they were to fall the way of most the Italian progressive rock bands that preceeded them. Leaving but a small legacy of recordings behind them. So nearly ten years later, we get a new DFA, and you know what, this happens to be the very best of them yet.

Granted, I may be using some hyperbole in my remarks here, but this band is so well rounded, and they captivate the listener not only with their solid musicianship, but they manage to embrace the most sincere and genuine forms of progressive rock by setting their standards for composition very high. DFA has a sound all of their own, it's all instrumental, yet constructed with careful textures and execution. Whenever I hear a DFA cd, I never get the impression that the musicians are trying to be a fusion band, in fact, other than some solo spots, there are no obvious fusion elements, at least what conniseurs would consider fusion. No this is simply fantastic instrumental progressive rock. Yes the musicians are capable, maybe not the best virtuoso players, but what they do as a unit speaks for what most artists should be trying to do when collaborating, compose first, and enhance later.

So this cd simply and aptly called 4th, welcomes back, one of the best of the modern Italian progressive bands, and they deliver a solid cd, that for those who have been folowing them, should come as no surprise, as for those that may be new to them, hopefully, you will be willing to check them out an hear the magic of this ensemble. It seems that this time DFA has taken some subtle Canterbury influences into their repetoire, these interludes are as close to jazz/rock as the band gets. In typical DFA fashion, they have 6 lengthy songs, three of which are over 10 minutes, one nearly 20, no filler, each song is an adventure, as they have a tendency to provide dynamic changes in progressions and meters in every song.

I always find myself marvelling at the density of the bands' writing, each passing allows me to adjust my aural perceptors to discover the complex and subtle nuances that are going on between guitars and keyboards, if you like to hear keyboards that are both nostalgic and sophisticated Alberto Bonami does not disappoint, he is armed with the Hammond /Leslie setup , Rhodes, Steinway, as well as the necessary array of modern and futuristic synths, he also adds some flavor with the flute on certain songs. Silvio Minella's guitar playing always seems to incite some conversations around certain message boards, his style is not typical of fusion or shred, nor does he really sound like anyone I have heard. But he really does have a major influence in this band, what he really does well is compliment Bonami's keyboards, while also providing a melodic voice to some of the songs.

Alberto De Grandis, is the bands drummer, and again, a perfect player for this band, you will not mistake him for the guys getting the endorsements and features in Modern Drummer, but underrated would most definitely fit his profile, as he does have major chops, and is the glue that makes DFA stick. Luca Baldassari is perhaps, like many bassists, the most unnoticable musician in this band, with so much focus on compositions, his place in the band is to not only provide rhythmic punch for De Grandis' drumming, but to complement all the chord changes that occur with this band, yet, as you become familiar with the aforementioned density of DFA, you can hear the beauty of his technique, especially during the more acoustic or quieter moments.

I'd say that this cd becomes an instant classic for me for the Instrumental Progressive Rock genre, very few records from this genre are able to keep my attention lit up for the duration, I think of Bruford, National Health, Gilgamesh as a few bands that have this same quality, perhaps early Area and maybe even some of Nathan Mahl's more instrumental material are good references. One of the best for 2008 for me thus far, might be hard to surpass for sure.

Thanks to this thread causing me to revisit 4th, I just bought their 2-disc collection Kaleidoscope -- it arrived in the mail yesterday actually. Looking forward to hearing what came before 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Thanks to this thread causing me to revisit 4th, I just bought their 2-disc collection Kaleidoscope -- it arrived in the mail yesterday actually. Looking forward to hearing what came before 4th.
    Also, thanks to this thread for exposing me to this amazing band, buying 4th from Bandcamp: https://dutyfreearea.bandcamp.com/album/4th
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Also, thanks to this thread for exposing me to this amazing band, buying 4th from Bandcamp: https://dutyfreearea.bandcamp.com/album/4th
    It's a great one! Glad you like it.

Hmm never totally connected this one. Will have to give it another listen at some point. Thought DFA s/t was a masterpiece. Was great to see them at Nearfest.

Just got done spinning this on my fiio m9
    This album has aged well ,now I'm wanting to listen to Sensations fix
    and Arti e mestri.