Thread: Diagonal about to release new album next year

Diagonal about to release new album next year

Third album by Diagonal coming in spring.

Didn't see this one coming

https://www.facebook.com/diagonalban...=3&__tn__=HH-R

I thought they were gone a long time already.

First album was great, authentic 'retro' stuff - but their second one displayed their more 'current' abilities and was pretty distinct at that. So I'm anticipating.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Very good news. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I thought they were gone a long time already.

First album was great, authentic 'retro' stuff - but their second one displayed their more 'current' abilities and was pretty distinct at that. So I'm anticipating.
    Yes the second one was really really good so I am looking forward to next one.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Great news! Thanks for the heads up.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I really liked the 2nd album so I'm looking forward to this
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks for the heads up! Most likely auto-buy.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

It would be a welcomed release.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^ It's been a few years now since the last one, so I suppose some development might be in order. After all, there was some of that between the first two. I wonder if this one too will have a release on Rise Above? I somehow got the impression that the (rather short) "prog" tenure of this label had somewhat dabbed off in recent.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ I wonder if this one too will have a release on Rise Above? I somehow got the impression that the (rather short) "prog" tenure of this label had somewhat dabbed off in recent.
    Well, some bands on their roster disbanded (i.e. Purson, perhaps Astra) some went to other labels (Circulus) and perhaps it's not easy tracking down new candidates. Lately, label owner Lee Dorian has a renewed interest in his punk years (see the album he did with Septic Tank) so I guess they'll switch on harder more crusty bands for future releases.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

New album is up on Bandcamp. Preorder and support them is again the objective.

Wow, I was not expecting a new one from them so soon! I'm in for this.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Well, some bands on their roster disbanded (i.e. Purson, perhaps Astra) some went to other labels (Circulus)
    Purson were alright, but I found Astra dire and Circulus, well... They're up and down by standard.

Both Diagonal records are worth owning and spending some time with. They're not attempting to be musical revolutionaries but they showcase very clear ideas about how to enrich the stylistical and temporal environment they're seeking. -VERY- little of their output has anything later than "1971" all over it, and with the second one especially I keep thinking of old W. German combos like Ikarus and Eulenspygel; bands so much engulfed in their own age and norm that external opinion somehow evaporated.

Just like a couple of other excessively conscious "retro Vertigo/Dawn/Deram" projects of the 2010s, their objective seems to be that "[...] If -I- donned a recording contract with this label and had five days paid of studio time, I'd be releasing THIS and not that". Thus effectively thinking that they can embroid their very own from within - which is of course precisely what every artist should be concerned with. So, in other words, if "1970/71 Vertigo/Deram/Dawn [etc.]" was its own genre of sorts, Diagonal would arguably score rather highly.

A lot of it comes down to an experience of spirit, I'd say - as in authentic gusto. And although it's most definitely a question of mimesis staging, even THAT is an artistic expression which takes skill and senior craft.

^ Richard, what did you think of Diagonal's third album, Arc? I found it to be a bit different, although it has been a while since I've heard their first two records.

^ I only ever got to hear one track off of it, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    what did you think of Diagonal's third album, Arc? I found it to be a bit different, although it has been a while since I've heard their first two records.
    Definitely very different. I listened once to the whole thing on my phone one time my wife and I were in a hotel room somewhere. Neither of us were impressed. I took a pass on that album, after having really liked the first two. But, tastes will vary.

I just listened to the sample track for the new one. It is more in line with their sound on the first two albums, but I can't say the track really blew me away. I'd like to hear more before I commit. I still think Diagonal's second album is awesome, being largely instrumental, which I think is their real forte.

Bill

Live set from 2012 is up on Bandcamp.

This description should net a few downloads:

"A very different beast to the current band line-up, this Diagonal shared territory with the likes of Magma and 'Red' era King Crimson. Hot from the release of their second album 'The Second Mechanism' Diagonal were in top muscular form, sonically blasting West Yorkshire with unique, pulsating heavy prog."

https://diagonal.bandcamp.com/album/live-in-leeds-2012