Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast

Thread: JON ANDERSON: 1000 Hands

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Based on the clips I’ve seen of Anderson’s band I think he could most benefit from recruiting a hot shot guitar slinger. The guitarist he has seems a bit out of his depth to me.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Anybody notice how he put one of the main melodies from "Revealing Science" into "To The Runner" ?? pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    Anybody notice how he put one of the main melodies from "Revealing Science" into "To The Runner" ?? pretty cool!
    in case you're scratching your head, it can be heard just before the lyric "and through the rhythm of moving slowly" @ 15:44 to 15:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGTWZBEGFo0&

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Based on the clips I’ve seen of Anderson’s band I think he could most benefit from recruiting a hot shot guitar slinger. The guitarist he has seems a bit out of his depth to me.
    This is true. The guitarist's (Tommy Calton) playing wasn't out of his depth, he was pretty competent on hitting the actual Howe notes, but he doesn't go any further with his playing or stage presence. However, he's also the studio guitarist on the 1,000 Hands album, part of Michael Franklin's core band, so I don't know if he'll be swapped out. It was not a guitar-dominated show AT ALL, but honestly I was good with that for this tour. Happy to have other instruments come to the fore instead, for a change.

Ember
    I disagree about the need for a different guitarist (or bassist). To me, the de-emphasis on soloing and on distinctive instrumental voices -- in other words, making this band as little like Yes as possible -- is its primary strength. It has its own charms, but at no point does it resemble a cover band in any way.

Frankly, comparisons with Chris Squire or Steve Howe would be tedious and irrelevant, and attempts by this band to emulate Yes would accomplish nothing but to invite more such silliness. The purpose of the band is to support Jon and to provide audiences with an entertaining new experience. ARW gave us enough "who played it better" debates to last longer than I expect to live.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I disagree about the need for a different guitarist (or bassist). To me, the de-emphasis on soloing and on distinctive instrumental voices -- in other words, making this band as little like Yes as possible -- is its primary strength. It has its own charms, but at no point does it resemble a cover band in any way.

Frankly, comparisons with Chris Squire or Steve Howe would be tedious and irrelevant, and attempts by this band to emulate Yes would accomplish nothing but to invite more such silliness. The purpose of the band is to support Jon and to provide audiences with an entertaining new experience. ARW gave us enough "who played it better" debates to last longer than I expect to live.
    +1
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    The band has it's own sound as a whole, and the de-emphasis on guitar brings out other instrumentation that make the whole show "work" in a brilliant way. The show was classy, well arranged, and put Jon in the spotlight as he should be. I didn't feel anything was lacking at all. The balance was spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    The band has it's own sound as a whole, and the de-emphasis on guitar brings out other instrumentation that make the whole show "work" in a brilliant way. The show was classy, well arranged, and put Jon in the spotlight as he should be. I didn't feel anything was lacking at all. The balance was spot on.
    Exactly how I felt about it.

I didn't feel anything was lacking at all. The balance was spot on.
    The balance was off because the show lacks a virtuoso like Trevor Rabin.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    The balance was off because the show lacks a virtuoso like Trevor Rabin.
    You're expecting a different show than what Jon has decided to present. So, only in your head, it's lacking.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Looks like 1000 Hands is getting a somewhat wider distribution - Anderson signed with Blue Elan Records and the CD, Vinyl and digital form are being re-released through them.

https://www.blueelan.com/news/genera...ins-blue-elan/

Jon Anderson, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and YES Founding Member, joins the Blue Élan family with new double-single, “Now”/”Ramalama”!

For music fans everywhere, a new album by legendary Yes singer Jon Anderson is cause for celebration. But Anderson’s grand and glorious new solo album, 1000 Hands, is quite unlike any other record – it’s an event, one which the singer’s loyal legion of fans across the globe have been wildly anticipating for three decades.

1000 Hands will be Anderson’s first release via his new partnership with Blue Élan Records. The album will be available digitally as well as on CD and a deluxe 180-gram double vinyl package on July 31. Listen to the first double-single, “Now”/”Ramalama”, right here: http://lnk.blueelanrecords.com/jonanderson-nowramalama

Cool. 1000 Hands is easily better than anything YES has recorded since he's been out.

Cool. 1000 Hands is easily better than anything YES has recorded since he's been out.
    Seriously, I mean seriously???!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Looks like 1000 Hands is getting a somewhat wider distribution - Anderson signed with Blue Elan Records and the CD, Vinyl and digital form are being re-released through them.

https://www.blueelan.com/news/genera...ins-blue-elan/

Jon Anderson, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and YES Founding Member, joins the Blue Élan family with new double-single, “Now”/”Ramalama”!

For music fans everywhere, a new album by legendary Yes singer Jon Anderson is cause for celebration. But Anderson’s grand and glorious new solo album, 1000 Hands, is quite unlike any other record – it’s an event, one which the singer’s loyal legion of fans across the globe have been wildly anticipating for three decades.

1000 Hands will be Anderson’s first release via his new partnership with Blue Élan Records. The album will be available digitally as well as on CD and a deluxe 180-gram double vinyl package on July 31. Listen to the first double-single, “Now”/”Ramalama”, right here: http://lnk.blueelanrecords.com/jonanderson-nowramalama
    Great!!! Finally I can own a copy of this great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post

Given Yes has only released two albums since they booted Jon, I can see the point given 1000 Hands is surprisingly pretty great and though I would say Fly From Here (the Benoit version from 2011, not the Horn bastardization from whenthefuckever) is stronger, it is mostly made up of older songs the band reworked, so maybe this statement is correct depending on how you look at it. 1000 Hands is certainly stronger than Heaven and Earth and I like that album for what it is.

Is there any information about ordering the album and what the price will be?
    I searched everywhere on the site and Jon isn't even listed yet under the Artist's category, nor is the album.

Did I miss something?
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Is there any information about ordering the album and what the price will be?
    I searched everywhere on the site and Jon isn't even listed yet under the Artist's category, nor is the album.

Did I miss something?
    I don't think we've had any details for the album release beyond the 31 Jul date. The single is available through multiple online digital music retailers.

I would like to add my voice to those praising the album. I think it's Jon's best solo album since 1994's Change We Must. It has a mix of tracks. It does have some lighter fare, of which "Makes Me Happy" is at the extreme, but it also has richly arranged, complex pieces. It's an album that makes me happy, both the Uzlot material written by Brian Chatton and the recent lighter material ("WDMCF" is a favourite of mine). My main criticism of the album would not be any of the music, but the way Chatton has been somewhat written out of the story.

(I don't personally agree with Man In The Mountain: I think Fly from Here is the better album. I'd only put 1000 Hands as my third favourite Yes-related release of 2019 actually, after Trevor Horn's Reimagines the Eighties and the Steve Howe Trio's New Frontier.)

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Given Yes has only released two albums since they booted Jon, I can see the point given 1000 Hands is surprisingly pretty great and though I would say Fly From Here (the Benoit version from 2011, not the Horn bastardization from whenthefuckever) is stronger, it is mostly made up of older songs the band reworked, so maybe this statement is correct depending on how you look at it.
    1000 Hands is just as much made up of older songs reworked as Fly from Here! Half the tracks were written c. 1990.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    You seriously need to hear the album is you think "Makes Me Happy" sums up the entire album. I mean seriously. Seriously. It's like pulling out "Bumpy Ride" to say Fly From Here is horrible.

I remember when I saw Jon live and he did "Makes Me Happy." I was expecting Oompa Loompas to come out and start bobbing up and down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    1000 Hands is just as much made up of older songs reworked as Fly from Here! Half the tracks were written c. 1990.

Henry
    Thank you. Saved me the trouble.

You seriously need to hear the album is you think "Makes Me Happy" sums up the entire album. I mean seriously. Seriously. It's like pulling out "Bumpy Ride" to say Fly From Here is horrible.
    If Bumpy Ride had been released as the lead single from FFH complete with video, that would indeed be a reasonable conclusion... But... based on the consensus here 1000 Hands does sound like it is worth seeking out and with the upcoming reissue I will have the opportunity to do so. I look forward to hearing the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I remember when I saw Jon live and he did "Makes Me Happy." I was expecting Oompa Loompas to come out and start bobbing up and down to it.
    I'm sure if Jon could have afforded it they would have been there!

I saw Jon back in the winter, before COVID shut down the world. I wanted to buy this CD prior to the concert, but you could not find it anywhere, not even on Jon’s website. They were selling it at the merch table though, so I picked up a copy. I honestly think this might be my favorite solo album Jon has done. Maybe hearing some of the tracks live, all of them very good, skewed my opinion, but I really enjoy this album a lot.

I like Bumpy Ride. Even the worst songs on H&E sound like CTTE compared to Jon ' s drivel. It's like something my grandma would have liked. I listened to all of 1000 Hands online and thought it was very poor, much like everything he has done for the last 25 years.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

1000 Hands = suprisingly good. I like it!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/