Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: JON ANDERSON: 1000 Hands

I'll go to the LA show. But I'll buy tickets at the venue on show night. I'm not giving Ticketmaster $32 in extra fees!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I wonder how Jon can afford to take a band on tour with him, maybe they don't know they're not getting paid yet
    This might be helping pay them....Packages start at $1,200/person:

https://levonhelm.com/shows/2019/7/2...e-voice-of-yes

Levon Helm Studios presents the Ultimate Fan Experience with Jon Anderson (The Voice of YES) on July 22-24, 2019.

Spend 3 days in historic Woodstock, NY at the legendary Levon Helm Studios with Jon Anderson (The Voice of YES) as he prepares for his upcoming '1000 Hands / World Tour'!

Package includes:

Two full days at Levon Helm Studios watching Jon and his band rehearse new and classic songs!
    An intimate Q&A with Jon
    Catered lunch on 7/22 and 7/23 with Jon and his band
    Premium Reserved Seating ticket for Jon's show at Levon Helm Studios on 7/24
    Local hotel options available for single and double rooms at The Hotel Dylan just minutes from the Studios.
    Meet & Greet and photo opportunity with Jon

^ It's the commodification of every part of the musician's life. Blame capitalism and/or the difficulties making any money from recorded music.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    ^ It's the commodification of every part of the musician's life. Blame capitalism and/or the difficulties making any money from recorded music.

Henry
    I hardly think its capitalism, its the internet which has destroyed traditional music sales.

I know it's heresy to suggest it, but perhaps the music just isn't that good?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I know it's heresy to suggest it, but perhaps the music just isn't that good?
    In this case, that's very true too!

let's add mismanagement and lifestyle spending problems too!
    2trevorsforlife

^ It's the commodification of every part of the musician's life.
    Excepting, hopefully, visits to the commode...

I saw the show in LA last Friday night. It was actually much better than expected. The band was on fire and very tasteful. Most of the Yessongs were arranged differently which was nice, since we've all heard them a million times. Jon played about 100 minutes excluding intermission. The highlights were an amazing rendition of "State of Independence," an acoustic set of Olias songs, and the near-finale of "Starship Trooper" which along with the rear video effects was breathtaking (and included a little Olias surprise within).

I paid $100 total for two tickets at the window the night of the show. If I had pre-bought, the service would have charged me $172 instead! Then we got upgraded to seats that cost twice as much as that according to the guy sitting next to us.

Henry
    How convenient..

Henry
    The music industry in the 70s and 80s didn't seem too Marxist to me. The funny thing is now millions are sharing music, which is sorta Marxist, right?

so...um, I assume physical copies have started to arrive?

Henry
    I remember reading years ago one could pay for the pleasure of going inside Conway Twitty's home and ( wait for it) watch him eat breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I remember reading years ago one could pay for the pleasure of going inside Conway Twitty's home and ( wait for it) watch him eat breakfast.
    I would have just waited for the DVD.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by rojon View Post
    so...um, I assume physical copies have started to arrive?
    Mine arrived today. I've listened to the digital version so much that I sort of forgot to expect the CD.

Any short reviews? I can tell by the clips that some songs seem good but wonder why Jon Davison sings on two of them. He does a good job, though, and sounds very similar to Anderson.

A live performance of Olias is kind of like The Moon Landing! It hasn't been repeated and some believe it never happened!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    A live performance of Olias is kind of like The Moon Landing! It hasn't been repeated and some believe it never happened!
    It's not Jon, but...

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I don't know how many people here are still curious about the new 1,000 Hands album who haven't heard it yet. This thorough review will shed a little more insight. Of any of Jon's previous albums, this one probably has the most nods to "Song of Seven".

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...on-1000-hands/

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    I don't know how many people here are still curious about the new 1,000 Hands album who haven't heard it yet. This thorough review will shed a little more insight. Of any of Jon's previous albums, this one probably has the most nods to "Song of Seven".

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...on-1000-hands/
    Before I say this, I admit it's a little bit nitpicky and I think it's really great that you enjoyed the album. But here you used the phrase, has the most nods to "Song of Seven," and in the article it says, Song of Seven references come in the next two songs. A nod usually contains a musical phrase or a lyric lifted directly from a song. There is a difference between a nod (reference) and that one song puts you in the mind of another.

Quote Originally Posted by rojon View Post
    Before I say this, I admit it's a little bit nitpicky and I think it's really great that you enjoyed the album. But here you used the phrase, has the most nods to "Song of Seven," and in the article it says, Song of Seven references come in the next two songs. A nod usually contains a musical phrase or a lyric lifted directly from a song. There is a difference between a nod (reference) and that one song puts you in the mind of another.
    Thanks. I'm open to learning more about fine-tuning this distinction. In reflecting now, it looks like I should not have used the word "references" in the article, because there aren't exact specific musical references that are duplicated in the new album from the SoS songs. However, I do think the phrase "nod to" would apply...I would think a "nod to" something would mean: acknowledging an influence. But you seem to be saying that a "nod to" also means a direct musical phrase or lyric that is repeated? I'm not sure that's the case.

Gave this another good listen over the weekend. I'm a huge Anderson skeptic, but this is very, very good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Gave this another good listen over the weekend. I'm a huge Anderson skeptic, but this is very, very good.
    Oh, I bet I'm an even bigger Anderson skeptic than you are but this morning I watched "Ramalala" and grinned thinking I shouldn't like it, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Thanks. I'm open to learning more about fine-tuning this distinction. In reflecting now, it looks like I should not have used the word "references" in the article, because there aren't exact specific musical references that are duplicated in the new album from the SoS songs. However, I do think the phrase "nod to" would apply...I would think a "nod to" something would mean: acknowledging an influence. But you seem to be saying that a "nod to" also means a direct musical phrase or lyric that is repeated? I'm not sure that's the case.
    Eloquently stated. And Yes, I think you are actually correct that a nod can have a wider definition. It seems the use of "nod" is a little loosey goosey. Usually when I hear the term is when a solo includes a line lifted from another song, the piano solo in Donald Fagan's Ruby starts by lifting the melody from the Kink's "You Really Got Me".

But an example of your point, I think its fair to say that the Beatles' "Back in the USSR" and Pink Floyd's "The Show Must Go On" are both nods to the Beach Boys style but with no direct quotes.

I suppose there is a YMMV element to this? I never drew the connection of “First Born Leaders” to “Don’t Forget (Nostalgia)”, or “Makes Me Happy” to “Everybody Loves You", so the use of nod took me by surprise.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Okay, I bought it.