Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: JON ANDERSON: 1000 Hands

Ugh... couldn't get through the whole thing.

'Makes Me Happy' is fine of its type. Similar to the sort of confection McCartney comes up with on his albums from time to time. I wouldn't want a collection of songs in the same vein though.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrankie Valli View Post
    'Makes Me Happy' is fine of its type. Similar to the sort of confection McCartney comes up with on his albums from time to time. I wouldn't want a collection of songs in the same vein though.
    Both the songs we've had videos for are new compositions whereas the majority of the album is material from the 1990s Uzlot sessions and written with Brian Chatton.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

So....when is the release date....still within the next few weeks?
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    So....when is the release date....still within the next few weeks?
    Hard to tell. The Digital Download is available now: https://www.jonanderson1000hands.com/order-now.html

The CD and Vinyl still say to "allow 8 weeks for delivery". There has been some reaction from fans who are outside of the USA that had pre-ordered the physical product - apparently no one in Jon's camp (I think his producer is running the processing/fulfillment end of things) factored non-US shipping costs into those orders and those fans have all been refunded without explanation. And now to re-order them, the international shipping is considerable - I read $40 to ship the $60 vinyl to Canada? I know the international shipping rates have all gone up recently, but that seems too much to make any sales.

Those international rates are a touch obscene. I order the occasional cd from far away places fulfilled by obscure bands operating out of their kitchens and have never paid more than 18 US. The most recent was only a couple of months back. Finland to WI, USA.

As to the samples up on Jon's site, only Twice in a Lifetime made me cringe a little with that accordian? beginning? Instrumentation improves after. Sounds like a Jon album to me and hey, better than The More You Know! At least to my ears. Not that I'm like to buy this but I'm happy the man is making music that makes him happy in his 75th year and is still out there performing.

Edit: so this is the setlist from the Epcot gig earlier in the month:
    01:18 Owner of A Lonely Heart
    06:25 Sweet Dreams
    10:24 WDMCF (Where Does Music Come From)
    15:55 Yours Is No Disgrace
    24:46 Roundabout

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=3nDoMFpYfbg

The band seems fine and Jon voice is strong, but ffs, why not play the new album in its entirety?? He's just done several "Yes" tours with the ARW band. These are Jon shows in small venues, play Jon solo music and the new record! People have heard these Yes tunes a gazillion times already, especially RoundaRoundaRoundabout neverending.

edit edit: If Jon just wants to play Yes music, then I'd hope even more for one more go with Howe and the band Yes as his voice sounds great. Better than the current Jon stand in Mr. Jon Davison.
    Last edited by abhorsen; 03-28-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    why not play the new album in its entirety?? He's just done several "Yes" tours with the ARW band. These are Jon shows in small venues, play Jon solo music and the new record! People have heard these Yes tunes a gazillion times already, especially RoundaRoundaRoundabout neverending.
    The Epcot shows were a little different from the rest of the tour - from what I have read, the Epcot shows are 30-35 minutes in length and Epcot wants (demands?) mostly hits.

Well that is encouraging then. Perhaps more of the new album will get played in small theaters. I can imagine the material will sound nice live with that band. Otherwise it is just the Yes Songs Played 1000 Times by 1000 Different Hands tour.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The download includes options for FLAC and wav. I think it’s a good record. Anderson sounds fantastic throughout. The production is nice with plenty of ear candy on the headphones. The singles are representative of the feel of the album, but I don’t think they are nearly the strongest material it has to offer. I wish I had track by track musician credits, but some of the contributions are very easy to spot such as Ian Anderson’s flute on “Activate” which also sounds like it includes Squire and White. And “Now And Again” with Steve Howe kinda makes me misty.

I’d rather have gotten a YesFeaturingARW record, but it seems like Rabin and Wakeman were unwilling to fully commit to their end so Anderson moved on to this project. Give the dude credit. He is determined to put himself out there and make music and he keeps on doing it...Anderson Ponty Band, Anderson/Stolt and now this all have their strengths and weaknesses, but they are all records I’d certainly rather have than not have. All of it is better listening than the new Peter Gabriel record, the new King Crimson record and the new Yes record too.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 03-29-2019 at 05:49 AM.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I’d rather have gotten a YesFeaturingARW record, but it seems like Rabin and Wakeman were unwilling to fully commit to their end so Anderson moved on to this project. Give the dude credit. He is determined to put himself out there and make music and he keeps on doing it...Anderson Ponty Band, Anderson/Stolt and now this all have their strengths and weaknesses, but they are all records I’d certainly rather have than not have.
    Indeed. He's been pretty prolific these last few years.

All of it is better listening than the new Peter Gabriel record, the new King Crimson record and the new Yes record too.
    If you stick together all the new bits of Crimson music, you get about an album's worth of (fairly mediocre) music.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    looks like a couple hundred seats sold for tonight's show at Lynn Auditorium

I’d rather have gotten a YesFeaturingARW record, but it seems like Rabin and Wakeman were unwilling to fully commit to their end so Anderson moved on to this project.
    We don't know the state of that record - or EP as Wakeman said it was going to be. Rabin said after 1000 Hands was finished that ARW had "a lot of songs in the pipeline" after "Fragile" and in Anderson's most recent interview when asked about touring again and new music was that he planned to be with them again in maybe 2020. This is the third time Anderson has said 2020 (or 2021).

Someone on Facebook posted this pic of the setlist:

JA setlist.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    looks like a couple hundred seats sold for tonight's show at Lynn Auditorium
    One of those few folks took some video:

Thanks for the video, Jon sounds like he's singing in a different key from the band? Good to hear a bit of Solid Space.

I wonder how Jon can afford to take a band on tour with him, maybe they don't know they're not getting paid yet

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Thanks for the video, Jon sounds like he's singing in a different key from the band? Good to hear a bit of Solid Space.

I wonder how Jon can afford to take a band on tour with him, maybe they don't know they're not getting paid yet
    That's an odd lineup. Violin and bari sax?

Re: affordability, the band are all probably on some kind of contract that guarantees a minimum with maybe a percentage of the door. But yeah, if they don't sell a minimum number of tix per show Jon stands to lose money on the tour.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

FB review-

I saw Jon's tour opener last night in Lynn MA. Quick summary: if you’re a Yes and/or Jon Anderson fan, you definitely owe it to yourself to catch this tour. Having seen every one of his tours since the mid-90s, this is the best show he’s put on since the Yes Symphonic days. More than one person around me said that it was the best show he's done since the Animation tour.
    The full 9-piece band is fantastic: two brilliant drummers, keys, guitar, bass (acoustic and electric), violin, and two multi-instrumentalists that switched between sax, alto sax, trombone, flute, and other things during the show.
    The show was about 1/3 new stuff (which really shone with the full band), 1/3 classic Yes, and 1/3 solo Jon. They often put a fun twist on classic tunes, like an acoustic Sweet Dreams or a slightly-reggae I’ve Seen All Good People. The show was definitely geared towards longtime fans, with lots of Olias tunes sprinkled in, often in unexpected places.
    The band was clearly having a blast, Jon was in great voice, the visuals were vibrant and a huge step up from the ARW stage set, and overall, a tour not to be missed.

^^
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

FB review of the album-

Got my download, Played it in my car, LOVE IT, Jon has done it again
    I burst into spontaneous tears today listening to the song ACTIVATE. Now I'll admit I fall for Jon's songs all the time but this one took me by complete surprise. I was listening, enjoying it quite a bit, and the tears came out of nowhere, beyond my control, they were just suddenly there -- and I was grinning ear to ear all at the same time. The whole album is wonderful.

Granted thats the review of uber-Jon freak Van Epperson, but there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    01:18 Owner of A Lonely Heart
    Actually, the violin and the guitar doubling Trevor Rabin's guitar solo was quite cool.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    But I'm not a fan of any of his solo projects. In addition to the videos I checked the setlist and there are only three songs, of course all Yes, I'd care to see. So it's not worth it for me to go. If I was a fan of solo Anderson I'd think of going
    I completely get this. I won't buy 1000 Hands but I'd say his solo career has produced some great songs and some very good songs. Maybe 15 total.

I've no interest in seeing Jon live anymore. If he came to my town I wouldn't go. Rick played about 5 miles from my home a few months ago and I didn't go, same with ARW when they came about 13 miles from my home. I've no interest in hearing Yes tunes being mangled.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    FB review-

I saw Jon's tour opener last night in Lynn MA. Quick summary: if you’re a Yes and/or Jon Anderson fan, you definitely owe it to yourself to catch this tour. Having seen every one of his tours since the mid-90s, this is the best show he’s put on since the Yes Symphonic days. More than one person around me said that it was the best show he's done since the Animation tour.
    The full 9-piece band is fantastic: two brilliant drummers, keys, guitar, bass (acoustic and electric), violin, and two multi-instrumentalists that switched between sax, alto sax, trombone, flute, and other things during the show.
    The show was about 1/3 new stuff (which really shone with the full band), 1/3 classic Yes, and 1/3 solo Jon. They often put a fun twist on classic tunes, like an acoustic Sweet Dreams or a slightly-reggae I’ve Seen All Good People. The show was definitely geared towards longtime fans, with lots of Olias tunes sprinkled in, often in unexpected places.
    The band was clearly having a blast, Jon was in great voice, the visuals were vibrant and a huge step up from the ARW stage set, and overall, a tour not to be missed.
    Thanks Sean, we have tickets to see him in Clearwater FL on May 8th and it's good to hear some positive news regarding this tour instead of the constant negative Jon bashing that exists on this forum.

That being said, I doubt I will be picking up this album and as far as Jon's solo work, the only one I've ever owned is Olias of Sunhillow which I really like.
    Some positive posts here about Invention of Knowledge which I think I may reconsider purchasing since I passed on it originally.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I've no interest in seeing Jon live anymore. If he came to my town I wouldn't go. Rick played about 5 miles from my home a few months ago and I didn't go, same with ARW when they came about 13 miles from my home. I've no interest in hearing Yes tunes being mangled.
    I was on the fence with ARW primarily based on the behavior of all three of them during the lead up / beginning of tour / adding Yes moniker to the brand etc. and of course the HOF antics of Rick sealed the deal... like many I held out forever to see any of the clips of the live dvd that was released again based on all of the negative reviews etc. with that said I found a copy of it real cheap on Amazon and would happily put their version of HOTS against any performance I've ever seen or heard Yes play with or without Jon singing.