Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters - New Speak TO Me / Breathe / Free Four

Roger Waters - New Speak TO Me / Breathe / Free Four

Whilst in total disagreement with the basic concept of remaking Darkside,
    I have to admit that parts of this are spine-tinglingly effective:

Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

You may not like the result, but Roger's got the balls in not making a karaoke of himself.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Whilst in total disagreement with the basic concept of remaking Darkside,
    I have to admit that parts of this are spine-tinglingly effective:
    Free Four is another excellent track from the underrated Obscured By Clouds album. Back in my younger days, I used FF as a major part of a poetry paper in college. Got a B+!. Anyway, I wanted live albums to sound like the studio version but as the years went by, there is no need to have half a dozen or so closely related versions on live, or on all compilations. Now I enjoy when an artist tries something new with established works. Peter Gabriel's New Blood album is a good example. No, this version of Dark Side of the Moon will never replace the original, but so far it is an interesting take. If Waters just stated that he decided to have another go at it from the prospective of being 50 years down the road, it might have been received better.
    Last edited by Tangram; 09-21-2023 at 03:51 PM.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I think the linking of the lyrics of “Free Four” to the beginning of Dark Side… is an interesting choice. That song, more than any other early Waters track, has the seeds of the major themes that would inform his later work from DSOTM all the way through to Is This The Life…. I really wish he would play that one live.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I liked this one. The "Free Four" lyrics work quite well here, and I like the soundscape, including the slightly psychedelic-sounding organ.

Yeah, this one worked best so far.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Still don't like it.

^Awful, IMO.

She copies a bunch of Liszt's surface features -- mannerisms, you could call them -- and completely misses the point of what made Liszt Liszt.

She's a hell of a pianist though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    She copies a bunch of Liszt's surface features -- mannerisms, you could call them -- and completely misses the point of what made Liszt Liszt.

She's a hell of a pianist though.
    But why is she hammering that piano…? Maybe Liszt did that?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

That first review nails how I feel about the later Pink Floyd albums and confirms my intent to avoid the Redux like the plague.

I listened to it once. The arrangements are interesting. Very sparse, but tasteful. The idea, I think, is to "reduce" (Redux) the songs to their essence. The problem, to me, is that I don't need and I don't want to hear the spoken word parts (which are many) ever again. Can you recommend me a free PC software to edit it and make my own version without the spoken word parts? I used to do that many, many years ago with Nero, but I don't know if it still exists or if there is a friendlier or better software than that. Thanks in advance.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I do wish I liked it more, but this is just not a good album from Waters. Long sections, particularly those dominated by the spoken word stuff, are completely unlistenable to me.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Banned
    This sounds like a PG creation, boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    A Dung Beetle in One's Cornflakes should be the title of Waters's next concept album.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Damn, he really really doesn't like it does he?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

That "Us & Them" was ... soothing.

While I do appreciate the thought, it utterly misses the point of his own song.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    Can you recommend me a free PC software to edit it and make my own version without the spoken word parts? I used to do that many, many years ago with Nero, but I don't know if it still exists or if there is a friendlier or better software than that. Thanks in advance.
    Audacity.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think today Waters might be speechless.

Just listened to "side one" from this album and to my ears it's brilliant... Obviously it won't appeal to everyone...

Here’s a question would this album be interesting if the original album never existed? Would it be loved as much as the original?

Quote Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
    Here’s a question would this album be interesting if the original album never existed? Would it be loved as much as the original?
    No.

Obviously I don’t speak for anyone else, but the only thing that made any of the ones I heard tolerable is the original in the back of my head. Taking out so much of what made the music interesting while upping the faux Leonard Cohen aspect creates something I can’t imagine being found interesting without the history of the real music.

This, of course, is just my opinion. Reading other thoughts has definitely been a lesson in everyone having different tastes. I don’t get this at all, but clearly others do. Fair enough.

I just came back from the RW Palladium show, or at least half of it...
    I went to see an intimate RW show knowing I would have to suffer the Dsotm redux- what I did not know was that the first half of the show will include only 2 songs (The Bar and Mother).
    The rest of the first half were the ramblings of a man in his old age and a very long story from his upcoming memoir about a duck (I kid you not).
    Turns out there were 2 more stories that were left out because they were too long (thank god for that).
    I left before the dsotm bit to try and salvage the evening, managed to see about 55 minutes of King Krule which was about 10000 times better.
    Regarding the performance itself, if I disregard all the self centered ramblings- his singing was very good, no playback, and once he even forgot to take the microphone when it was his turn to sing again, so he just shouted one verse. Also, when the first song (out of the two!) was finished, he seemed a bit baffled and asked the band what should he do now, almost left after just one song! I am afraid dementia is creeping in.

P.S. - there were no encores in both shows, talking with someone who stayed the entire show- he said the audience just got up and left after eclipse. I guess I was not the only one underwhelmed.
    Last edited by flytomars; 10-09-2023 at 09:43 PM.