Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allan Holdsworth "IOU Live In Japan 1984" limited CD/DVD set (Manifesto) - 12/7/2018

Allan Holdsworth "IOU Live In Japan 1984" limited CD/DVD set (Manifesto) - 12/7/2018

Manifesto has partnered with the Holdsworth Family Estate to release a series of archival live recordings from the various eras of Allan's long and esteemed career and ALLAN HOLDSWORTH, I.O.U. - LIVE IN JAPAN 1984 will be the first of the recordings from this series. LIVE IN JAPAN 1984 is the final live set by Allan Holdsworth's I.O.U band, featuring live versions of material from his first three solo albums; I.O.U., the Grammy nominated Road Games and Metal Fatigue. The first 1,000 copies of this release will come with a bonus DVD of this historic concert. This is an obvious "must have" for Allan Holdsworth fans all over the world!

Tracklist
    1. Tokyo Dream
    2. Road Games
    3. White Line
    4. Panic Station
    5. Letters Of Marque
    6. Home
    7. Devil Take The Hindmost
    8. Material Real
    9. Metal Fatigue
    10. Where Is One
    11. The Thing You See (When You Haven't Got Your Gun)
    12. Was There?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HSLVBJW/?tag=imwan-20

Excellent! Saw this tour in Boston
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I heard about this a while back. I've been watching this on YouTube for years.

Is this different from the one with Paul Williams on vocals?

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I don't think so, but it seems odd that there is no info on the Manifesto site concerning this release.

Per the original poster's comments about this being a series, I hope they launch a whole series of live recordings like Zappa, The Dead and others have been doing. I would welcome that and happily live on bologna and mac-n-cheese to pay for them all.

If this is what I think it is, I've had this live show on a gorgeous Japanese LD for decades and made my own DVD years ago via DVD recorder.

I hope we can order this somewhere else

Good News. Wayside will carry this. Buy from **Steve**

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Good News. Wayside will carry this. Buy from **Steve**
    Will he have copies including the DVD?

How do you keep track of which orders were the first 1000 if multiple places are selling it, lmao? This kind of stuff is silly. Just put the DVD with all of them, or offer buyers a choice on the sets.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Will he have copies including the DVD?
    Looks like it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    How do you keep track of which orders were the first 1000 if multiple places are selling it, lmao? This kind of stuff is silly. Just put the DVD with all of them, or offer buyers a choice on the sets.
    Simple: they press only 1,000 copies with the DVD. They may give some to other vendors, like Wayside, to sell, but limiting the number ain't difficult at all. They could also take the approach and only sell CD/DVD version on their site.

Why do it? Well, in a time when selling 1,000 units of something like this, which is very much a niche in a niche (as great as it is - I'll be reviewing it for sure), labels look for ways to encourage early sales in order to recoup their investment in the project.

There are other artists I've bought over the years (Richard Thompson, Los Lobos, to name two) who released two versions of an album on initial release, one a two-disc version with extra tracks, the other the main album on a single disc only. In these times of tough sales, I think anything a label or artist can do to, at the very least, help them recoup costs is just the way it is, and I'm fine with it, largely because, when I buy stuff, I usually preorder almost from the get-go. I appreciate not everyone can do that, and it's definitely unfortunate. But it's a reflection of the industry as it is today, in particular with hard media.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

This is great news. Listening to an IOU boot as I type (Keystone Berkeley '82). I've had a Japan '84 boot DVD for years. It will be nice to be able to buy an official copy.

Banned
    I'll be in on this for sure. I'm still going through the box set I got a while back and enjoying it immensely.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Excellent! Saw this tour in Boston
    The show I saw that year was in Cambridge and had Gary Husband on drums and Gary Willis on bass. The next time I saw him was the following year and he was opening from DiMeola and had Jimmy Johnson on bass and borrowed Danny Gottlieb from DiMeola's band.

It's interesting that this is sanctioned by the Estate because AH disavowed the release when it was put out by Williams in a truncated form as "I.O.U. Live".

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    That one is missing Tokyo Dream, Home and Devil Take The Hindmost but would seem to be from the same tour, or maybe the same show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It's interesting that this is sanctioned by the Estate because AH disavowed the release when it was put out by Williams in a truncated form as "I.O.U. Live".

First, you probably know how picky and self-critical Allan could be. I'm sure his estate has a more accurate view of his awesome talents than he did. Which is sad, but there it is...

Second, I don't believe it is the same show. Same tour, yes, but I had heard that the DVD is a different night from IOU live.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Second, I don't believe it is the same show. Same tour, yes, but I had heard that the DVD is a different night from IOU live.
    I'd heard that the IOU Live album was a partial release of the audio from the laserdisc, and I'm guessing the Manifesto is going to be the laserdisc contents.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Simple: they press only 1,000 copies with the DVD. They may give some to other vendors, like Wayside, to sell, but limiting the number ain't difficult at all. They could also take the approach and only sell CD/DVD version on their site.

Why do it? Well, in a time when selling 1,000 units of something like this, which is very much a niche in a niche (as great as it is - I'll be reviewing it for sure), labels look for ways to encourage early sales in order to recoup their investment in the project.

There are other artists I've bought over the years (Richard Thompson, Los Lobos, to name two) who released two versions of an album on initial release, one a two-disc version with extra tracks, the other the main album on a single disc only. In these times of tough sales, I think anything a label or artist can do to, at the very least, help them recoup costs is just the way it is, and I'm fine with it, largely because, when I buy stuff, I usually preorder almost from the get-go. I appreciate not everyone can do that, and it's definitely unfortunate. But it's a reflection of the industry as it is today, in particular with hard media.
    Niche or not, they will sell more than 1000...lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The show I saw that year was in Cambridge and had Gary Husband on drums and Gary Willis on bass. The next time I saw him was the following year and he was opening from DiMeola and had Jimmy Johnson on bass and borrowed Danny Gottlieb from DiMeola's band.

The show I saw was at THE Club with Jeff Berlin and Wackerman.

I'm pretty sure it was 84.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    You have no idea how hard it is to sell 1,000 copies of a physical item these days.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Niche or not, they will sell more than 1000...lol
    If you're not joking, then all I can say is: I'd not be so sure. I'd like to think they would...but you would be surprised. A very VERY big jazz name released an album in 2003 that sold only around 3,000 copies. And that was 2003...

...so we always hope...but the reality is sometimes far less satisfying. See Steve F's post for the truth, coming directly from a label cat instead of one of us "fake news" media guys
    Last edited by jkelman; 10-17-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You have no idea how hard it is to sell 1,000 copies of a physical item these days.....
    Yup (see my post). I remember one label (not yours) telling me, a few years back, that they sometimes (more often than they'd like) send out more promos than they actually sell.

Which is, of course, why so many labels have been driven to digital promos. Personally, I'm totally fine with that, as long as they're full CD quality (or better) - no MP3/AAC, only, at most, lossless compression like FLAC/ALAC - and, if there's a CD booklet, a PDF of it.

I prefer downloadable files as I don't have a data plan that supports streaming outside of the house; instead I use a good DAP to put everything I need on, so I don't necessarily need to be connected. And since I do a fair bit of listening outside the house, this is important for me. Thankfully Cuneiform does it exactly as I prefer!!

It's really a shame, that said, that some writers refuse to review digital promos, as they clearly have no idea how much it costs for labels to send out promos (especially when you factor in mailing out of country, which has become outrageously expensive in recent years).

And yes, how they may be expected to send out more promo copies than they actually end up selling...which is outrageous!
    John Kelman

The laserdisc, btw, which is called Tokyo Dream--Allan Holdsworth in Japan, has the same setlist listed in the OP and the band is AH, Williams, Wackerman and JJohnson. The LD, which is in uncompressed digital pcm stereo , runs 82 minutes and it says it was recorded on May 14, 1984. So I'm guessing the DVD is the same recording as the LD, and maybe even a transfer from the LD.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-17-2018 at 09:01 PM.