Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Allan Holdsworth "IOU Live In Japan 1984" limited CD/DVD set (Manifesto) - 12/7/2018

It had been awhile since I watched the interview segments in the video. Holdsworth really looks uncomfortable answering the generic and superficial questions from the Japanese interviewer and trying to explain his music.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Did Holsdworth approve of any release...lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    It obviously sold more than 1000. Someone on fb said they just got the cd!!!

Just my luck. I probably waited too long. I ordered one from Amazon a few days ago hoping I'd still be able to snag one with the DVD. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. If it doesn't have the DVD I'll probably return it and try to grab one off ebay before prices get too zany.

I bought this today, $16. I blame you guys!

I was at the Last Record Store in Santa Rosa, and bought almost $100 worth of CDs. I saw this disc, and noted it had the 'First 1,000 comes with DVD' copies sticker on it. I was tempted, but couldn't pull the trigger (I'm unemployed and $$ is scarce). Went and had a beer next door, read the reviews here, and went back and bought it. You fukkers!

Hell of a show, tho. Chad Wackerman slays, and Jimmy Johnson on bass is incredible. Music gets kind of samey after a while, and the only thing Paul Williams is good for is breaking the monotony. I'm very ok with the sound quality, and the video is like watching on a VHS, but that didn't bother me.

If anyone wants to borrow it to watch, let me know. I don't have a problem with loaning it out, as long as someone here can vouch for you.

Golly, Holdsworth was a force, wasn't he? His dexterity on the frets is just astounding.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 12-16-2018 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Too much swearage

If it actually already sold 1000 copies a mere 2-3 weeks after being released, that kind of calls into question some of the dire outlooks stated earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    The setlist appears to be an expanded version of the 1997 IOU Live CD that Paul Williams released against AH's wishes.
    As stated earlier in the thread, it's the entire video that was previously released on the Holdsworth Live in Japan laserdisc.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    If it actually already sold 1000 copies a mere 2-3 weeks after being released, that kind of calls into question some of the dire outlooks stated earlier in the thread.
    Wonder if that was to drum up sales

Breathing a sigh of relief. Got the DVD today from Amazon, so there's still copies left.

I wonder if this is true: https://nl-nl.facebook.com/groups/361803263942657/ mentions there will be a new DVD/CD-set from Manifesto Records, this time with a show from 1998 recorded in Warsaw.
    Couldn't find any other information.

Yes, itís true! Very exciting!
    The family appears to have won the estate battle & will be releasing live music & merchandise. Sad he is gone, so these releases will help carry on his genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got the new live CD/DVD Warsaw Summer Jazz Days '98.
    The soundquality on the CD is quite good; haven't had the chance to watch the DVD yet, which contains more stuff than the CD has.
    See https://www.facebook.com/ManifestoRecords and http://manifesto.com/allan-holdsworth/

Presto Classical carries this new title as well as the individual remastered CDs from the Manifesto box.
    https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/sea...lan+holdsworth

I've ordered from them several times and shp from the UK is very reasonable.

Some comments on the DVD from the Warsaw-set: The cover indicates 8 tracks + 6 Bonus Features. There are though just 7 regular tracks on the DVD; Proto-Cosmos, the 8th track on the cover is missing. The Bonus Footage (which has a quite bad quality of images) does have Proto-Cosmos however. The other bonus-tracks as sometimes complete, sometimes just short cuts.
    Too bad these sloppy things, especially because the cover itself, with some words by the only living musician of this trio, Gary Novak, looks very fine.
    One more curious thing on the DVD: the original endtitles for the Polish television-show mention that the compositions were written by ALLANA HOLDSWORTHA

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    One more curious thing on the DVD: the original endtitles for the Polish television-show mention that the compositions were written by ALLANA HOLDSWORTHA
    I have to maybe disappoint you here, but in most (if not all) Slavic languages personal names are also inflected with suffixes. I think in this case this might be a correct genitive, as in 'of/by Allan Holdsworth', 'Allan Holdsworth's' etc.
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    I have to maybe disappoint you here, but in most (if not all) Slavic languages personal names are also inflected with suffixes. I think in this case this might be a correct genitive, as in 'of/by Allan Holdsworth', 'Allan Holdsworth's' etc.
    Thanks for the correction/clarification, but it still looks funny; so manny "A"'s.....