Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Ballad of Jethro Tull

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    still, it's only likely to interest me for the first decade of the band.
    Then you're in luck, because I'd say 75% of the documentary is from the beginning to about "A". Everything after that is sped up and glossed over somewhat. They don't even mention every album after that point.

I just revisited the Tull 25th anny VHS last week (before getting rid of it), and if everyone is all smiles, it's obviously a big façade.
    Is that the one where they're gathered in a pub, many of them meeting for the first time in years? If so, yes, it all seems incredibly awkward, with guys like Barlow and Hammond quietly hanging out at the bar, etc. I also liked when Cornick arrives and asks Martin Barre where Clive Bunker is, because he wants to see him. You can hear him say "I saw Mick Abrahams." with a bit of disdain LOL!
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Then you're in luck, because I'd say 75% of the documentary is from the beginning to about "A". Everything after that is sped up and glossed over somewhat. They don't even mention every album after that point.

Is that the one where they're gathered in a pub, many of them meeting for the first time in years? If so, yes, it all seems incredibly awkward, with guys like Barlow and Hammond quietly hanging out at the bar, etc. I also liked when Cornick arrives and asks Martin Barre where Clive Bunker is, because he wants to see him. You can hear him say "I saw Mick Abrahams." with a bit of disdain LOL!
    That's the one!! Weird stuff really (though I suspect that they'd be joking in front of a camera about finding Bunker in a small venue)

I'll look if my library system's got the DVD... All I'd be interested in hearing post-A & TB&TB would be Crest and Roots, really. but I wouldn't be upset if they didn't.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The quality of the Rocket 88 books is about as good as it can get. I have the Barrett book and it's wonderful. Ordered the "regular" version, $52 incl shipping.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    The quality of the Rocket 88 books is about as good as it can get. I have the Barrett book and it's wonderful. Ordered the "regular" version, $52 incl shipping.

I have their Dinosaur Jr production and it is excellent as well. the content, design layout and production. trusted vendor!
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    The quality of the Rocket 88 books is about as good as it can get. I have the Barrett book and it's wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    I have their Dinosaur Jr production and it is excellent as well. the content, design layout and production. trusted vendor!
    And I have their Fairport Convention book, which is really lovely: beautifully bound in a rough-textured cloth cover, it has the feel of an antique book, which suits the world of Fairport.

Though I can imagine having someone like IA in the band (and calling all of the shots) be an aggravating factor
    Perhaps, but without IA writing all the songs, where would they be?
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Perhaps, but without IA writing all the songs, where would they be?
    Totally agree. Sorry but Ian proved that no Barre, Tull is still Tull (with all respect to Mr Barre) , but ,no IA, no Tull
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yes that's the disappointing thing with the Tull one (the shortest of the four). The Yes one went over pretty much every album. The Cream one has Ginger Baker on truly astonishing form.

One of the most startling anecdotes was from Dave Pegg. He said that when he joined Anderson took him aside and suggested what the other members would say about him. Bit by bit they all proved that Anderson was correct in his assumptions!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes that's the disappointing thing with the Tull one (the shortest of the four). The Yes one went over pretty much every album. The Cream one has Ginger Baker on truly astonishing form.

One of the most startling anecdotes was from Dave Pegg. He said that when he joined Anderson took him aside and suggested what the other members would say about him. Bit by bit they all proved that Anderson was correct in his assumptions!
    I was disappointed in that as well, as I would have liked hearing about some of the later albums in depth, as I like every Tull album - I'm even a big Rock Island fan! But they certainly did a good job of going through every year from '68-'80 IMO, and like you say, some startling revelations from band members (I love Peggy interviews, I could listen to him go on all day).

I wish there were more of these. Have you seen the Moody Blues one? It's the only one fully available on YT, which was good for me since the DVD is long sold out (I bought the Tull and Yes ones).

^The anecdote about their 'parting gift' to a bad-tempered Terry Ellis after hearing Under Wraps is also quite something.

I've seen all four; there were budget (widely available for £1) versions sold in the UK for a while. There's no book but the Tull one is actually the same as the normal one in terms of disc content, it's a two-sided disc with the old 1969 footage on the other side. The others were one disc versions.

The Moody Blues one again has some pretty frank content; some members are not the 'peace and love' types you'd expect from their music/image. Graeme Edge charmingly calling Patrick Moraz 'the mad Swiss git' springs to mind. Beyond some old roadie dismissing his contribution Moraz is barely mentioned at all otherwise.

The Cream one had all new interviews with all three members. People like B.B. King and Chris Squire (Yes were on the bill at Cream's famous Farewell Concert at the Royal Albert Hall) also had brief interviews in it. They really got A-list interviews on these DVDs.

My review of this book is now up, for anyone interested...

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/the-...cket-88-books/

My review of this book is now up, for anyone interested...

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/the-...cket-88-books/
    Thanks. Looks like the book is worth checking into.

I stopped by the website and the delux version ($350.00+) is Sold Out!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Received an e-mail today that the books have left the factory in the Far East and have shipped. Delivery in November.....at least there are no delays on books like their having on recorded media....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

^Sweet - thanks! Can't wait to get this thing.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Just got this totally unexpectedly in the mail today. It's beautifully done & a great read so far!!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Bumpin' this up again....Mine is passing through Laramie Wyoming today and will be at my porch Wednesday afternoon! (12/4)

Lotsa stuff heading my way...The Tull box / GG Box / IQ Vinyl......Merry Christmas to ME!

Mine arrived several days ago. Beautiful looking book. Now I just have to find the time to sit down and read it.

Mine arrived, but my wife quickly scuttled it away for Xmas...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Looks like I got #37/500. Read so far up to Passion Play. So far, not much I didn't already know. Stopped reading so I can enjoy more later.....when Geddy Lee's Book showed up I went through it in one sitting!....8 Hours Flew By!