Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ballad of Jethro Tull

The Ballad of Jethro Tull

Ian has announced the first official Jethro Tull book to come out.
    http://jethrotull.com/the-ballad-of-...icial-jt-book/
    Thoughts?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    Ian has announced the first official Jethro Tull book to come out.
    http://jethrotull.com/the-ballad-of-...icial-jt-book/
    Thoughts?
    I wonder if Martin Barre is involved in this? I'm certainly interested.

Given the publisher, it won't be cheap!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm sure he'll be mentioned once or twice. I doubt the impetus for this book came from Martin, I'm sure its all IA.

I'm 100% in.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

question is will it be longer or shorter than the combined length of the excellent books included in the steven Wilson remix sets?

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    question is will it be longer or shorter than the combined length of the excellent books included in the steven Wilson remix sets?
    Actually, that's a good point! Reading each of those back to back in chronological order would be a tremendous history of Tull. They are absolutely fantastic books!

I'm curious as to how much input the other guys are going to have. I'd like to hear a lot more from Barlow, Evans, Palmer, etc.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The official statement makes it fairly clear that this is an IA-commissioned work. Given Martin's treatment by Ian these last 6 years or so, it would seem unlikely that he will be much of a participant in this, though he will obviously be mentioned. And it's not as if there aren't already any interviews out there by him that could be used as sources for commentary.

Given IA's tendency to brazenly revise history as he sees fit, this book will likely be the white-washed version of the band's history that one would expect, under such circumstances. To some extent, "autobiographies" are always slanted. What makes them worth reading are the insights that only the subject him or herself can provide, and extent to which the subject's narrative voice is compelling. For example, there are better biographies of Frank Zappa and Miles Davis than their autobiographies, but the autobiographies are nonetheless still essential reading, due to the personal insights and the fact that they were both interesting people and this comes out in the text. The Tull book looks like it's not being authored by Ian Anderson, but instead is a project that he is overseeing.

IMO it's already an unpleasant situation where the book is being offered in a regular and "deluxe" edition - IA just can't seem to not squeeze every penny possible from his biggest fans. I've never even heard of deluxe editions of books.

Maybe in 10 years there will be a 10-year anniversary edition of the book? With a forward by Steve Wilson?

:P.
    Last edited by Facelift; 10-16-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Will the chapters covering the last ~35 or so years be printed in an increasingly unpleasant to read font?

I seem to remember there was a dvd about the history of Jethro Tull from a few years back that featured interviews with most of the still-alive band members, and that didn't hold back on describing just how dysfunctional the band was by 1979, especially the sheer unpleasantness of the period after Glascock had passed. Also, great account by Dave Pegg concerning manager Terry Ellis's initial reaction to hearing Under Wraps, which sparked a somewhat, erm, 'unconventional' response from Pegg himself (allegedly)! Might be worth trying to find as a counterweight if this book does indeed prove to be a somewhat sanitized account of the band's history.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I seem to remember there was a dvd about the history of Jethro Tull from a few years back that featured interviews with most of the still-alive band members, and that didn't hold back on describing just how dysfunctional the band was by 1979, especially the sheer unpleasantness of the period after Glascock had passed. Also, great account by Dave Pegg concerning manager Terry Ellis's initial reaction to hearing Under Wraps, which sparked a somewhat, erm, 'unconventional' response from Pegg himself (allegedly)! Might be worth trying to find as a counterweight if this book does indeed prove to be a somewhat sanitized account of the band's history.
    There is also a brand new memoir from Dave Pegg himself which is said to contain many stories from his musical adventures, with a good amount of Fairport and Tull:

https://www.davepegg.co.uk/

Just Ordered! Pegg's book, that is.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    You're talking about the Classic Artists DVD, and yes it is excellent. Very honest and very in depth, although like many other band documentaries it glosses over a few albums. There were at least four titles in that series, with Yes, Cream and The Moody Blues among them.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sounds like it would be a very interesting read. I think I’ll wait for the Steven Wilson remixed version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    IMO it's already an unpleasant situation where the book is being offered in a regular and "deluxe" edition - IA just can't seem to not squeeze every penny possible from his biggest fans. I've never even heard of deluxe editions of books.
    Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I read or heard anything about there being a regular and "deluxe" edition of the book. It just sounds like people will be able to preorder the book and their name will be printed in the book. Which is admittedly kind of a dumb thing for a book. Maybe we should all preorder under the name Martin Lancelot Barre (using our real names for the billing of course)?

I'm not a "no Martin, no Tull" person, but that would still be pretty funny.

It is available for pre-order now in a regular and signed version. I have order mine (regular one).

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The official statement makes it fairly clear that this is an IA-commissioned work. Given Martin's treatment by Ian these last 6 years or so, it would seem unlikely that he will be much of a participant in this, though he will obviously be mentioned. And it's not as if there aren't already any interviews out there by him that could be used as sources for commentary.

Given IA's tendency to brazenly revise history as he sees fit, this book will likely be the white-washed version of the band's history that one would expect, under such circumstances. To some extent, "autobiographies" are always slanted. What makes them worth reading are the insights that only the subject him or herself can provide, and extent to which the subject's narrative voice is compelling. For example, there are better biographies of Frank Zappa and Miles Davis than their autobiographies, but the autobiographies are nonetheless still essential reading, due to the personal insights and the fact that they were both interesting people and this comes out in the text. The Tull book looks like it's not being authored by Ian Anderson, but instead is a project that he is overseeing.
    I'm not one to side up with Barre against the Mad Flauter, but I'll probably pass up on this book, because I don't think the story will be told objectively by the main suspect and his interchangeable acolytes. As someone said, this is going to be a highly revisionist storytelling, though most likely, there will be very interesting photos and I'm sure that Ian will instil a good dose of humour in the text. Not that I'd be interested to read how IA defends his post-79 works anyways.
    In other words, you won't read much dirt, like Emo had written in his book.

I'll wait until it gets in the stores to see if I want to splurge.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'd like to see a warts-and-all book on Tull, with no revisionist history.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I just ordered a few hours ago, after receiving an email

pre-roder is $50 AND I got a 15% discount for signing up for the news updates a few months. $51 with shipping
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'd like to see a warts-and-all book on Tull, with no revisionist history.
    As someone noted above, the Classic Artists DVD tells the story in a pretty thorough and very even-handed way.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    As someone noted above, the Classic Artists DVD tells the story in a pretty thorough and very even-handed way.
    But only when band members not named Ian Anderson are talking!

I kid, but the interviews with guys like Cornick, Barlow, Palmer, Evans, etc. are much more direct. Great DVD.

Yes, that Classic Artists DVD was a real eye-opener for me in terms of just how hellish the atmosphere was in the band in the late 70s. Total breakdown of relationships within that band. Quite sad because Anderson, Evan and Barlow went a long way back.

It appears that the Classic Artists DVD is OOP.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

With his previous sales, constant touring, the SW re-mixes, etc the starving actor promo doesn't sit quite well with me, the man has a 13,000 acre estate and more $ than God, perhaps he's intent upon purchasing GB? I'll be contributing once again to the Ian Fund (glutton for punishment) with the "cheap" version, you rattle your jewelry types can make room for the deluxe package on the package shelf of your Mercedes.

Having purchased records, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, remasters and remixes, I don't think a Jethro Tull book is in order. Or on order, for that matter.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    But only when band members not named Ian Anderson are talking!

I kid, but the interviews with guys like Cornick, Barlow, Palmer, Evans, etc. are much more direct. Great DVD.
    still, it's only likely to interest me for the first decade of the band.

I just revisited the Tull 25th anny VHS last week (before getting rid of it), and if everyone is all smiles, it's obviously a big façade.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes, that Classic Artists DVD was a real eye-opener for me in terms of just how hellish the atmosphere was in the band in the late 70s. Total breakdown of relationships within that band. Quite sad because Anderson, Evan and Barlow went a long way back.
    Just as it got bad in all of the groups (whether Zep, Who, Yes, Floyd, etc...)
    Though I can imagine having someone like IA in the band (and calling all of the shots) be an aggravating factor
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.