Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Big Train - Grimspound

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I have and like The Difference Machine and EE 1 & 2. Just having those EE albums is a lot of music very much in one particular vein.
    I actually AGREE with this, which is why I stopped after Folklore for a while. My BBT moods are kind of rare but when they hit me they hit me, and at that point the EE albums generally do the trick. However, this was a really strong BBT mood that hit me, and two hours wasn't enough, and I wanted new music anyway, so...

I will disagree strongly that Grimspound was more of the same. I think the material is stronger and there's a lot less tendency to draw things out. The not-THAT-worth-repeating finale of "East Coast Racer" kind of goes on and on, for instance. Grimspound seems to be relatively tightened up for BBT and I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I understand since this is such emotion based music, that there is such a difference of opinion depending on how much one feels or relates to the feeling there.
    Yeah, this is also true. I've visited Cornwall twice in the past ten years to court my significant other (we're now married) and the feel of the place, with, yes, the HEDGEROWS and all, does suggest the kind of pastoral nature of BBT's music. All the exultation of "Rose hips! Ladybirds!" charms the heck out of me. If I want down and dirty and fast I'll play Frost* or Dream Theater.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I was a fan from my first hearing of The Underfall Yard, and nothing since has disappointed me. I do think they have entered a very prolific phase, but as the English pastoral saying goes "you have to make hay while the sunshines". The band are back in Real World this week recording the next album (due May 19 I believe), it will be interesting to see how much this progresses from recent developments.

There are of course quite a few writers in the band, but to date it has mostly been Greg and David songs that have comprised the majority of the output, and perhaps there may be more variety with others chipping in.

Although I know the band from their debut album, I just got into them with the Difference Machine (awesome album). Loved everything until including EE1.

EE2 was just so so. With Folklore they started to be a bit boring and stayed so
    sadly (they somehow lost their uuumph).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    I was a fan from my first hearing of The Underfall Yard, and nothing since has disappointed me. I do think they have entered a very prolific phase, but as the English pastoral saying goes "you have to make hay while the sunshines". The band are back in Real World this week recording the next album (due May 19 I believe), it will be interesting to see how much this progresses from recent developments.

There are of course quite a few writers in the band, but to date it has mostly been Greg and David songs that have comprised the majority of the output, and perhaps there may be more variety with others chipping in.
    Although Greg's songs are consistently my favorites, David and Rikard are also excellent writers and Rachel has a fine instrumental on their latest as well. All were contributing on the 2nd Brightest Star, so... it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Listened to the first disc of Full Power last night, and sometimes it's easy to forget just how good something is. The first two songs are certainly good, but then the album picks up with 'Uncle Jack', and then the real heart of the album sets in with 'Swan Hunter', and the glorious 'Seen Better Days'. There is just so much emotion in these tracks and I'd match Seen Better Days with anything they've ever done, but I understand since this is such emotion based music, that there is such a difference of opinion depending on how much one feels or relates to the feeling there.
    "Uncle Jack" is my favorite song from Big Big Train. It packs a heck of a lot into its not-quite-4 minutes. "Swan Hunter" is also good, as are "Summoned by Bells," "Upton Heath," and "A Boy in Darkness."

Quote Originally Posted by SongForAmerica View Post
    "Uncle Jack" is my favorite song from Big Big Train. It packs a heck of a lot into its not-quite-4 minutes. "Swan Hunter" is also good, as are "Summoned by Bells," "Upton Heath," and "A Boy in Darkness."
    My favorite BBT song continues to be "Judas Unrepentant". Great story, great composition. "A Boy in Darkness" is also a very impactful and emotional tune.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I was impressed by EE after liking TUY very much. I felt the band really gelled and reached new heights with EE, which was eclectic and cohesive at the same time.
    With the following album cycle (Folklore-Grimspound-TSBS), there wasn't the same kind of surprise, so the albums, although very good, didn't make the same impact on me. It's still an impressive string of albums (and EPs) since TUY at least.

I hope they will find a way to expand their horizons and keep their wonderful pastoral englishness.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    The early albums are pretty good but when Dave Longdon started contributing, they became a completely different beast.

The last five albums are just superb.
    The early albums are GREAT! Goodbye to the Age of Steam (remixed), English Boy Wonders (original version), Bard, Gathering Speed, The Difference Machine - every one a blinder. Things did change with The Underfall Yard, which is good too. I bought EE1 but tired of it quickly. EE2 I sold. I've heard the later ones but they leave me unmoved, although I acknowledge that many find them their best. For me, too pastoral, too folky, too acoustic, but each to their own.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    The early albums are GREAT! Goodbye to the Age of Steam (remixed), English Boy Wonders (original version), Bard, Gathering Speed, The Difference Machine - every one a blinder. Things did change with The Underfall Yard, which is good too. I bought EE1 but tired of it quickly. EE2 I sold. I've heard the later ones but they leave me unmoved, although I acknowledge that many find them their best. For me, too pastoral, too folky, too acoustic, but each to their own.
    Would you characterize the pre-Longdon albums as more neo-prog? I have Gathering Speed but never gave it much time (not for any good reason).

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Interestingly, completely opposite from what I would say. I can't listen to BBT's early stuff but "English Electric part one" became a breakthrough album, and I very much like most of what the band's doing ever since...

Quote Originally Posted by SongForAmerica View Post
    Uncle Jack is fabulous. Probably my favorite Longdon tune, with 'Leopards' a solid 2nd. 'A Boy In Darkness' is the only one I'm just not feeling. The rest of EE Full Power is excellent, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Would you characterize the pre-Longdon albums as more neo-prog? I have Gathering Speed but never gave it much time (not for any good reason).
    I'd say neo-prog is a fair assessment of the early BBT.

Uncle Jack is fabulous. Probably my favorite Longdon tune...
    That is probably the one song that immediately leaped out and grabbed me.

Early BBT was a little scatter-shot for me. They truly arrived with The Underfall Yard and every album since has been terrific (especially Folklore, but that's just me...)
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Early BBT was a little scatter-shot for me. They truly arrived with The Underfall Yard and every album since has been terrific (especially Folklore, but that's just me...)
    Funny thing about Folklore, for me. Whereas 'Underfall Yard' and 'English Electric' are pretty much consistently amazing, there isn't quite the consistency for me on Folklore. But specifically 'London Plane', 'Along the Ridgeway' (possible favorite), Salisbury Giant', 'Transit of Venus...' and 'Brooklands' are stunning-extremely emotive songs! The rest I find significantly less so-not bad, just not to the level of the previous few albums. All in my imperfect opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Gathering Speed is arguably their best album in my opinion. But I think they've been lackluster since EE II (as in that was their last really solid effort). They haven't been bad, but I've felt that a lot of their songs have become like a caricature of themselves and the tracks have been mostly forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    Gathering Speed is arguably their best album in my opinion. But I think they've been lackluster since EE II (as in that was their last really solid effort). They haven't been bad, but I've felt that a lot of their songs have become like a caricature of themselves and the tracks have been mostly forgettable.
    The Difference Machine didn't make a lasting impression on me, so I thought I wouldn't explore the earlier material, but I did (thanks to online recommendations) and liked Gathering Speed very much.

Regarding the current band, I don't think they've become a caricature of themselves yet, but they're not far from it and I do hope they succeed in refreshing their identity.

I think of BBT as two different bands now. The original band that started in 1994 with Goodbye to the Age of Steam changed after 2007's The Difference Machine. David Longdon assuming lead vocals marked a big change in the music and, what I refer to as BBT 2.0 has moved forward with their newer, more pastoral and very "English" sound. I like both versions of the band, having discovered them in 2008 here on PE, but I give a bit of an edge to the older songs. YMMV. Cheers! 🎸🎤🎹

This was good cd ,I preferred Folklore alot more.
    This cd is grower ,It has some amazing tunes that stick with you.
    Compared to Folklore ,Folklore had music and catchy choruses.
    This cd music is better,and instrumentation.

I went along to the premiere screening of the new in concert Blu-Ray at The Everyman Cinema in London last night. It was a fun event, all of the band were there and indulged in an audience Q&A for an hour, plus drinks in the bar pre and post screening. All were really approachable and engaging to talk with. They had been working on promo videos in London for the new material too, and this will be released next May. From what was said it will be a departure, songs with an international theme, but they are really pleased with everything and feel it may be their strongest material yet.

The Cadogan Place music came across brilliantly with the powerful movie surround sound, it is a great presentation all round.

I went along to the premiere screening of the new in concert Blu-Ray at The Everyman Cinema in London last night. It was a fun event, all of the band were there and indulged in an audience Q&A for an hour, plus drinks in the bar pre and post screening. All were really approachable and engaging to talk with. They had been working on promo videos in London for the new material too, and this will be released next May. From what was said it will be a departure, songs with an international theme, but they are really pleased with everything and feel it may be their strongest material yet.

The Cadogan Place music came across brilliantly with the powerful movie surround sound, it is a great presentation all round.
    The concert they're releasing is from Cadogan Hall? I'm surprised they've decided to tackle another Blu-Ray release, they had so many problems with the last one. For the last one they decided to only do a PAL release, is that what they're doing this time?

I'm not au fait with all the tech issues.

Yes it is a film from the three performances at Cadogan Hall last year, taking the best performances of each song played. I have no idea if it is PAL only, but I expect an announcement will be made soon re release date. I bought the last one, but have not ever played it as I am yet to get a surround sound Blu-Ray system. I have quite a pile of magic discs building up that one day I hope to enjoy!

I'm not au fait with all the tech issues.

Yes it is a film from the three performances at Cadogan Hall last year, taking the best performances of each song played. I have no idea if it is PAL only, but I expect an announcement will be made soon re release date. I bought the last one, but have not ever played it as I am yet to get a surround sound Blu-Ray system. I have quite a pile of magic discs building up that one day I hope to enjoy!
    You don't need surround sound to enjoy the previous Blu-Ray! Although you do need a Blu-Ray player. The extras on the BD are worth watching.

The last BluRay I'm aware of was Stone & Steel from 2016. I purchased the disk off Amazon and it plays back with no problem on my 7 year old Panasonic (with firmware upgrade). The issue with Stone & Steel was frame-rate, not PAL vs. NTSC. US players usually prefer 30 fps, whereas European players use 25 fps. It has to do with the frequency of the mains power supply: 60 Hz vs. 50 Hz. My player can apparently work with both. I also have the recent IQ BluRay and it plays beautifully as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    The last BluRay I'm aware of was Stone & Steel from 2016. I purchased the disk off Amazon and it plays back with no problem on my 7 year old Panasonic (with firmware upgrade). The issue with Stone & Steel was frame-rate, not PAL vs. NTSC. US players usually prefer 30 fps, whereas European players use 25 fps. It has to do with the frequency of the mains power supply: 60 Hz vs. 50 Hz. My player can apparently work with both. I also have the recent IQ BluRay and it plays beautifully as well.
    But as I recall, they decided to cancel the NTSC release, and only released the PAL version - maybe I'm mistaken. I didn't have trouble on my Oppo either.