Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Far Corner "Risk" - available now

Quote Originally Posted by Kretz View Post
    I’m confused why nobody is discussing them.
    Probably due to the details you just disclosed concerning your own situation in life. I know I can speak on behalf of many of us in here who are aware of your own works in the art of music that we still love what you accomplished during all those years along with the 'other' Steve, whose sudden and untimely passing was definitely one of the most shocking pieces of live information I ever experienced online. I may not listen to half as much music as I did a mere decade back, but yours I spin on a regular basis even today.

All the best to you and your wife.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Woah, thanks, I said these things out of guilt for not having purchased from wayside in recent times. Years really. I’ll ask a mod if my posts in this thread can be deleted.

Listened to it for the first time yesterday. My jaw doesn't drop much anymore, but I swear if Bill Kopecky made a solo album with just his instrument I would buy it instantly, and I don't buy like I used to either.

This is not to infer at all that Dan, Claudia, Craig & their guest violinist don't also hit it out of the park, but Bill......

I'm just grateful that since I live in WI I saw the K brothers twice before Paul passed, and was at his memorial gig in Racine.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I’ll ask a mod if my posts in this thread can be deleted.
    I don't think that's necessary, man. People in here are grownups and can take it, if only as a remedy for superfluous self-pity. I certainly know it set me straight after whining about my recent pneumonia.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Kretz -

I don't know you but I can remember in my own life when I had to sell plasma to eat and was couch surfing for 8 months before things got better, so don't underestimate the empathy here from most people on this site.

When my partner Kay died in 2014 (she was known by many here), I leaned on my PE friends for solace as much as I leaned on my own family & friends here in Wisconsin.

I wish the best for you and quick healing for your wife.
    Last edited by progeezer; 10-19-2018 at 05:45 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I’ll ask a mod if my posts in this thread can be deleted.
    To echo what Richard said, I don't think that's necessary either. And please don't feel guilty.

Wishing the best for you and your wife. Hang in there.

Real quick, thanks to all regarding me, it’s appreciated! Now, back to discussing far corner. I haven’t felt this giddy about an album since the third UZ! And, there’s about eight songs I’ve yet to hear. The bass blows my mind especially, and I haven’t heard keyboards so wonderfully rendered in decades! The cd cover, too, is gorgeous! Anyway, just a few thoughts...

Real quick, thanks to all regarding me, it’s appreciated! Now, back to discussing far corner. I haven’t felt this giddy about an album since the third UZ! And, there’s about eight songs I’ve yet to hear. The bass blows my mind especially, and I haven’t heard keyboards so wonderfully rendered in decades! The cd cover, too, is gorgeous! Anyway, just a few thoughts...
    I think I'm gonna put it on my next order from Wayside.

I got it, thanks to my bro! As if 12 amazing tunes wasn’t enough, song 13, “Alea Ludere” is the most complex rock music I’ve heard! This record should be on everybody’s immediate buy list, get it now!!

I’ll try to contain myself after this post. Not sure this usurps “uncle meat” as my personal favorite in this lifetime, but it’s easily a top 5 as well as a contender for 1st place! So, so happy to own this disc, all I need to hear is here. Remember to buy “risk”! There, that was easy.

I’ll try to contain myself after this post. Not sure this usurps “uncle meat” as my personal favorite in this lifetime, but it’s easily a top 5 as well as a contender for 1st place! So, so happy to own this disc, all I need to hear is here. Remember to buy “risk”! There, that was easy.
    I''ll take Your Word for it, Steve. I never heard the second Far Corner, but I really like the debut.

Having Scotch and listening to Happy Accidents and We're God and The Foul Tempered Clavier tonight. Thanks for your music, man - and hang in there!

I can only dream of being able to compose and perform like these folks! After hearing “risk” , I’m so inclined to just give it up, (laughing not too loud). But, I’ll continue to work slowly. And, please, if anybody wants to help with the next rr’s record, get in touch with me here or at skkretzm@aol.com.

I can only dream of being able to compose and perform like these folks! After hearing “risk” , I’m so inclined to just give it up, (laughing not too loud). But, I’ll continue to work slowly. And, please, if anybody wants to help with the next rr’s record, get in touch with me here or at skkretzm@aol.com.
    Don't give it up, man. Don't do it! The world needs more new good music, so consider it a challenge.

Ordered. Kretz convinced me to go for it. Seriously.

I'll wait to listen to the whole thing...

Well Kretz, I've ordered the new Far Corner CD as well, so it had better live up to the hype!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to hearing this one.

Love these guys! Their first two albums are fantastic. Their ProgDay performance is one of my favorite ProgDay shows ever (and I've been to them all). So happy to see that they've done something new! Just ordered the download version.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh boy this album is superb, it's probably their strongest release, still got all the highly composed 20th century classical references but clearly a rock album. It bounces along like a beast. May well end up as my album of the year, haven't been kicked in the ass this hard in a while.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I got the whole thing this morning.

I am 3 minutes in and I am loving it already! It has mellotrons!

Lordy, is that sample cut great. Must get the whole thing. Saw Far Corner at my first ProgDay in 2005. They were superb.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The album is sublime. Will moove straight into my top 5 of the year.

How do you guys rate this new release with Far Corner’s previous efforts?

If better or worse, how so?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post

So far I'd say it's their best release, it just grabs me more, it's less dry, it's complex but driving.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have not heared the first two but this album reminds me a bit of the chamber intensity of Rational Diet!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I have not heared the first two but this album reminds me a bit of the chamber intensity of Rational Diet!
    Good call.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post

I think it is about as good as previous ones. It is kind of rockier than the last one and not so "avant".
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/