Thread: 'Crank it up'

'Crank it up'

And on a rainy Thursday ~

This morning I pulled out the movie soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar (I've mentioned here before that I really, really like the music to this 'production'... All else aside) The first piece 'Overture' is just simply awesome. So awesome, this morning, that I immediately got up from breakfast and turned the volume up quite a few notches.

Cool thing about this overall music we do so enjoy! Let this post serve for some of the volume favorites of yours...

Carry On

Chris Buckley

Had a blast playing bass in my church production of Godspell back in college. Those tunes were so much fun to play. The band was other guys I'd been in bands with at one time or another so rehearsals would sometimes get out of hand when someone would play a riff and then we'd be off playing some Chicago song. Or I would nod at the drummer (who even looked like Bruford a little bit) and we'd break into "Five Percent for Nothing". Good times...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing a couple of days ago, but with the original soundtrack.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Two instances when someone actually said ‘turn it up’... “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35” and “Classical Gas.”

Also the intro to "Sweet Home Alabama."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I was actually thinking of doing the same thing a couple of days ago, but with the original soundtrack.
    I also think the original musical score of JCS is better than the movie soundtrack. On the latter the vocals are too much in front of the mix, the instruments aren't really well balanced. Which I understand for a movie, but for home-entertainment it didn't work for me.

There is a couple of tunes I like to play VERY loud, especially through the head-phones, like Starless from KC, Until I Hold Her by Interview or Summer Lightning by Camel (especially that wonderful guitar-solo at the end):

when it comes to cranking up a musical, I'll take Hair over JCS anytime (it still gives me goosebumps some 40 years later

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

As much as I think he's an asshole today, I have to confess that my high school cranking music was Ted Nugent "Double Live Gonzo.

Iron Maiden "Killers" was always a reliable choice to play at full volume.

"Electric Ladyland"

Black Sabbath "Master of Reality"

Side 3 of The White Album
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Crank It Up - I checked this thread out cuz I thought it was about the Dregs song from Industry Standard. Which I love. In fact, that's my favorite Dregs album and the vocal tunes on it are just additional colors in the compositional rainbow that is Steve Morse's ability. I recall thinking that the vocal approach reminded me of Steve Walsh and then I heard Morse's playing on Wait Until Tomorrow from the Schemer Dreamer album and thought Crank It Up was probably inspired by that song.

As for what songs I LIKE to blast loud, I'll say Take It Off The Top (slower version) by The Dregs, The Introduction and Book Of Dreams by the Steve Morse Band and Every Day by Steve Hackett.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    ... and Every Day by Steve Hackett.
    (Although I always hated the quick fade-out of the original version (the alternate mix on the 2005-re-issue is slighty better).

I originally bought JCS because I wanted to hear Ian Gillan before he joined Deep Purple. The actually brilliance of the work turned out to be serendipitous.

A few months ago, Turner Classic Movies aired Tommy, which I watched for the first time. That too is amazing, giving me a new found respect for Pete Townshend and The Who.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

"can we have everything louder than everything else"

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A few months ago, Turner Classic Movies aired Tommy, which I watched for the first time. That too is amazing, giving me a new found respect for Pete Townshend and The Who.
    If you want to lose that respect, check out the London Symphony Orchestra's version...

Seriously, though, I don't think of the Tommy film as being meaningfully a Who project. It was Pete and Ken Russell, with the Who as players. The big exceptions are "Sparks" (which is played the way they were playing it live at roughly that time), and "Sally Simpson."

I also call to your attention Elton John's version of "Pinball Wizard." While the extra verses are, to say the least, extraneous, there's a place where two power chords ring out about two seconds apart. The first one is Davey Johnstone; the second is Pete Townshend. The difference is palpable.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

"Heart Of The Sunrise" at full blast.
    That's my religion.
    The Prog Corner