Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Correlation between love to prog and intelligence?

My IQ is so high the atmospheric pressure crushed it and sent me crashing down on my couch, forcing me to read this drivel and drink whisky.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I used to be above average but I have lost it as I age......

I dont think there is any correlation between IQ and musical taste.
    I haven't noticed it with the people I know, some likes prog some doesn't.
    The logic would thus be that people who likes Yugen or Thinking Plague are more smart than people who likes Pink Floyd and Santana.
    A few in my age continues to find new music, many are stuck with their teenage prog bands.

Sense of rythm is established when you are 2-4 years old, and musical taste is mostly established when you are 12-15 years old and because of the people you are with.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    My IQ is so high the atmospheric pressure crushed it and sent me crashing down on my couch, forcing me to read this drivel and drink whisky.
    Ha, Ha! Thanks for the laughs, Frank. If I had a really high IQ I'd be creating the music, but I'm on my couch!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The logic would thus be that people who likes Yugen or Thinking Plague are more smart than people who like
    A-a... A-are Jugend and Think Ink true prog. than? They sound so weirdo when I try listen YouTub on internet-computer!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    You mean this https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...0.1002/bdm.730 ?

Is the evidence around liking classical music robust? Not really. Posh, rich people do better on IQ tests. Posh, rich people like classical music. There's an obvious confound here. That doesn't prove a casual link.

Henry
    Note the title of the thread says "correlation" not causation. Rich people also have higher I.Q.s than poor people. Anyway, this is one of the studies I saw a while ago, but I put prog as a type of "contemporary rock", a category above, which it is.

I love prog and completely flunked school , technically I'm in the stupid percentile!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    and because of the people you are with.
    And studies have shown people that people tend to associate with those in the same I.Q. range. No surprise there.

This theory/correlation makes no sense unless you define "intelligent."

There are big differences between smart, educated, experienced, and enlightened.

- Matt

I think a correlation between love of prog and close mindedness would be easier to prove.

I want you to notice
    When I'm not around
    You're so fuckin' special
    I wish I was special...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I think a correlation between love of prog and close mindedness would be easier to prove.
    Are you suggesting there is music other than prog? Say it isn't so!!

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Are you suggesting there is music other than prog? Say it isn't so!!
    As long as it has proggy characteristics, you can listen to it!

After attending many many YES concerts over the years, and observing their correlating behavior, the answer to your question is... NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post

There are big differences between smart, educated, experienced, and enlightened.

- Matt
    An enlightened answer! But first we need to define what Prog is.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Note the title of the thread says "correlation" not causation. Rich people also have higher I.Q.s than poor people. Anyway, this is one of the studies I saw a while ago, but I put prog as a type of "contemporary rock", a category above, which it is.
    There is a correlation between socio-economic status and how people score on IQ tests. That doesn't necessarily mean they have higher IQs. IQ tests are imperfect measures, and even whether it is meaningful to talk of IQ as a thing is contested.

The study you quoted does not support anything about prog. It doesn't really support anything about anything given its methodological limitations. But it poses some questions that further study could elucidate. It is, at least, something more than anecdote.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I no I are smart and me like prog.

Seriously though, there was a recent study which shows IQ tests themselves have an intrinsic bias toward a particular race and class. Inner city kids don't do well on IQ tests, not because they aren't intelligent, the tests are simply irrelevant to their personal experiences.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    I really don't understand why you idiotic prog fans can't own up the fact that we're better than everyone else.

It's all blurred by an absence of good definitions of both intelligence and music styles. In addition, the musical taste is something that is formed not just by smartness of human brain by also by family, friends, school, country traditions and many other factors. Anything that have a positive emotional connotations will be liked. Say, I, hardcore prog lover, like some cheesy disco compositions just because they reminds me my of first encounters with girls etc. Also I have a long story with classical music, of course there are pieces I really adore. I was attracted to prog by it's new, experimental sound (at that time) and by it's tendency to mix styles.
    I'd say that prog liked by people, who like new things, like experiments and moving out of ordinary. It is hard to tell if it is correlated with intelligence, looks like more or less correlated.

There is a correlation between socio-economic status and how people score on IQ tests. That doesn't necessarily mean they have higher IQs. IQ tests are imperfect measures, and even whether it is meaningful to talk of IQ as a thing is contested.

The study you quoted does not support anything about prog. It doesn't really support anything about anything given its methodological limitations. But it poses some questions that further study could elucidate. It is, at least, something more than anecdote.

Henry
    First, almost no psychologist takes issue with I.Q. as a good indicator of general intelligence. Second, it is more than socio-economic status but income that is correlated with I.Q. - with a correlation coefficient of around 0.4 and 0.5 - not trivial. Third, as I wrote, I likely substituted either a band name for close to prog or a category like "fusion." My point was that I didn't remember an I.Q. difference among that and jazz where classical was notably higher.

How does the study you linked to not say anything? It is simply a correlation between the types of music those at different I.Q. levels like. One theory is that those with higher I.Q. are attracted to more complex music while Satoshi thought then it was evolutionary and related to a vocal/non vocal divide. I don't know.

One study correlated I.Q. with bands and types of music people liked:

AC/DC 115

Ben Folds 125

Classical 135

Rush 165

makes sense

Banned
    ^^^

You forgot to mention the study also found that Hammill/VDGG fans has an average IQ of 180, whereas the scientists where unable to get Kenny G. fans from consuming their own feces long enough to take the IQ test.

On a more serious note, IQ tests are very controversial and culturally biased. There are many forms/definitions of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    First, almost no psychologist takes issue with I.Q. as a good indicator of general intelligence. Second, it is more than socio-economic status but income that is correlated with I.Q. - with a correlation coefficient of around 0.4 and 0.5 - not trivial.
    First, your assessment about psychologists not taking issue with I.Q. as a "good indicator of general intelligence" is actually dead wrong. What's true is that there's a whole spectrum of partly differing I.Q.-factors to be evaluated, discerned and estimated. Second, both in the humanities as well as in economic science, income makes the primary variable of socioeconomic status - so there's no "but".

Third, when you whine out in a thread about a band like Snarky Puppy being "[…] some boring jazz and nothing prog here! Why isn't this OT?!" while lauding swollen 80s mullet AOR in other threads on the main forum, this is historically, etymologically, stylistically and musically a symptom of complete default, seeing as related ideas have been explored in progressive rock since ca. 1968.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    ^^^

I agree with you, therefore you are obviously fucking brilliant.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post

- Matt
    If you are all 4 is there a priority? I have a hard time determining my mix.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Henry
    Finally, I am in the unpleasant position to totally agree with you Henry!