Thread: My Book of Genesis - Richard Macphail

My Book of Genesis - Richard Macphail

Just a quick heads up ...

I had been meaning to buy this book for a while now, but finally bought it from the man himself in the foyer at a recent "The Musical Box" gig (I assume he has an arrangement with the band to sell his own merch at their shows).

IMHO it's brilliant - really well-written, by both Richard Macphail & and music journalist Chris Charlesworth, so I assume it has been heavily edited / honed.

As expected, it is filled with gems of background information about the band through their early albums / tours, along with subsequent tours managed by Richard including Peter Gabriel solo, Brand X, Peter Hammill etc - but it also has Richard's own story threaded through, so that it becomes a real page-turner & keeps you hooked.

It's a joy to read & he comes across as a genuinely nice bloke. Also, he doesn't have a bad word to say about anyone (well, apart from Robin Lumley - but even then he says it in a "nice" way) ...
    Last edited by zzorchering; 10-10-2018 at 10:12 AM.

I agree completely, I really enjoyed this book and it was great to finally hear a lot of the same kind of stories, but from a different yet close perspective. I'll definitely be reading it again at some point (as I've done with Phil & Mike's books.)

I only bought the Kindle version because at the time this was released, the physical format was too expensive to ship from the UK to Canada.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

sourdough advocate
    I enjoyed this as well but with a few caveats. Like most self-published books, this in in dire need of an editor. There are quite a few glaring errors. He calls Fripp's first solo disc "Indiscipline" for one. Additionally, he lifts a fair amount of material from Rutherford's memoir, which he does cite. Despite these, I really enjoyed the stories and learned a few things as well. Mike's and Phil's memoirs are required reading for any Genesis fanboy like me.
    When in doubt....

I'll add to the chorus. It's an easy read, very enjoyable, and a window into those early times for the band, as well as Richard's tour manager gig then and later on. Highly recommended.

We'll have an interview with Richard about his Genesis experiences and his book on the Tabletop Genesis podcast later this year. He's a really lovely guy, and obviously still has a passion for the music of his friends.

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'll add to the chorus. It's an easy read, very enjoyable, and a window into those early times for the band, as well as Richard's tour manager gig then and later on. Highly recommended.
    Yes, it was a very enjoyable read. His perspective added to my knowledge of the world of Genesis.
    He really does a great job capturing the unique nature of the music biz, especially, the touring component. The biz is quite different in many ways nowadays and his memories of the early days was...charming.

(I agree on the slightly over-use of (cited) Rutherford quotes from his book. But if you've not read Mike's book it is absolutely not an issue.)

I did not know there was a kindle edition out, but I just ordered it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I did not know there was a kindle edition out, but I just ordered it.
    For some reason the Kindle edition is incompatible with my Kindle (a Kindle Paperwhite, not sure what generation). Never seen this before - it's compatible with my iOS Kindle app, and Kindle for PC and some others. Maybe has to do with the book having photos?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    For some reason the Kindle edition is incompatible with my Kindle (a Kindle Paperwhite, not sure what generation). Never seen this before - it's compatible with my iOS Kindle app, and Kindle for PC and some others. Maybe has to do with the book having photos?
    I have no clue. When this book first came out I could not find a Kindle edition and did not think there was one until I saw this thread. I was able to download it from Amazon without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    (I agree on the slightly over-use of (cited) Rutherford quotes from his book. But if you've not read Mike's book it is absolutely not an issue.)
    Maybe it stimulates me to buy Mike's book as well (together with the recommendation from the "What are you currently reading"-section).
    Started reading Macphail's book this week; nice to read the beginning of Genesis from another viewpoint!

Mike's book is very much worth the effort.
    Then you can chime in with how odd it is that he dislikes some of the most popular Genesis material. LOL

But it really is a great read.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I dunno, I thought it was OK. I liked Richard's personality but I still read many of the facts over and over. I did like Mike Rutherford's book.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I liked Richard's personality but I still read many of the facts over and over.
    What do you mean? He repeated many of the same facts over and over?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What do you mean? He repeated many of the same facts over and over?
    Jed, I meant the Genesis story has bee told so many times so Richard's book retreads these stories, imho.

Wow. I've read numerous Genesis biographies (tho' admittedly, not many recent ones,) and I thought MacPhail's book was like opening a window into the early days as it was taking place. Oh well.

I found this and Mike's books really enjoyable to read.

Thoroughly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Wow. I've read numerous Genesis biographies (tho' admittedly, not many recent ones,) and I thought MacPhail's book was like opening a window into the early days as it was taking place. Oh well.
    I've only just bought Collins book and I'm at the point where he's just done his audition and the band says they're taking a two week holiday.. looking forward to seeing things thru his eyes.. When you've seen so many videos / Youtube clips where band members tell their story you wonder what's left in the vault to tell.. Richard's book is on my list to purchase.. waiting for a price drop..