Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New music and tour from Joe Jackson

New music and tour from Joe Jackson

Rockin new tune from Joe!

And the presser:

When asked to reflect on the recording Jackson had this to offer:

“When it looked like I'd be recording in late July and mixing around my birthday, in August, it struck me that the only other occasion that had happened was while making my first album. It still took a while for it to sink in: this would be 40 years on… The road to this album is littered with the wrecks of songs and half-songs that didn't make the grade. There are eight survivors, which I think is enough. How significant the resurgence of vinyl is, I'm not sure, but I did think of this as an album, with two complementary sides of about 20 minutes each…

I never have an overall theme in mind when I start trying to write songs for an album, but sometimes one will develop. In this case it's Comedy and Tragedy, and the way they're intertwined in all our lives. The songs are about fear and anger and alienation and loss, but also about the things that still make life worth living: friendship, laughter, and music, or art, itself. I couldn't have done this in 1979. I just hadn't lived enough.”

The album was co-produced by Jackson and producer Pat Dillett (David Byrne, Sufjan Stevens, Glen Hansard, etc.) The band in question was the same group that Jackson has played live with ever since the release of “Fast Forward”: Teddy Kumpel on guitar, Doug Yowell on drums, and long-time collaborator Graham Maby on bass (Maby was on that first recording session 40 years ago as well). The Fast Forward Tour took on a life of its own and enjoyed several encores over the last 3 years – with the band ultimately playing 103 shows together during that time span.

Starting February 2019, Jackson and the band will embark on a new world tour, playing shows throughout the US and Europe.

In his own words: “So, here comes a big tour. We want to celebrate the fact that this is happening after 40 years – anything else, would be like sulking in a room by yourself on your own birthday party. Looking for some way to organize a show out of 40 years' worth of material, I decided to draw on five albums, each representing a decade: “Look Sharp (1979)”, “Night And Day (1982)”, “Laughter And Lust (1991)”, “Rain (2008)” and “Fool (2019)”. We'll also throw in a couple of songs from other albums and some new covers. I can't wait. Let's party.”

“Fool” is going to be released as CD Digipak, 1LP+download and Digital on January 18th, 2019 on earMUSIC

Fool will be available on CD, LP, and Digitally on Jan 18th.

TRACK LIST
    1. Big Black Cloud
    2. Fabulously Absoute
    3. Dave
    4. Strange Land
    5. Friend Better
    6. Fool
    7. 32 Kisses
    8. Alchemy

Hurray, something to look forward to.

Now if only his old stuff would all be available again and not just some collections, I really would be happy, though it would cost me.

Saw Joe in June, great show.

Joe Jackson is not a guilty pleasure.
    Joe Jackson is awesome.
    Always liked his music!
    The Prog Corner

Just got a ticket for the London show.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Joe Jackson is not a guilty pleasure.
    Joe Jackson is awesome.
    Always liked his music!
    I don't think anyone is considering Joe Jackson a guilty pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I don't think anyone is considering Joe Jackson a guilty pleasure.

Not me anyway. It's a full on unbridled love festival.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Got tix for Boston. Never miss a Joe show.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Got tix for Boston. Never miss a Joe show.
    That's awesome. Like Kings X, I've never been able to make one. Still hoping to change that.

I was too slow off the mark for London tickets, but will be watching the resale sites for a reasonably priced opportunity. I’ve kept apace with most of his releases over the years, but have seen him play all too infrequently, and really do not want to miss him again.

Another new song from this release - this is classic Joe, like this one a lot!

And another - this is sounding great!

And a nice article/interview with Joe about the new album and tour:
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...l-40-year-tour
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 01-09-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The new music sounds really decent. I'd enjoy seeing Joe live.

Love this guy! So glad he's still making new music and going out to perform. One of those really idiosyncratic artists who has put out a rather diverse catalog, but one of incredibly high quality as well. Not a whole lot of people have.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Love this guy! So glad he's still making new music and going out to perform. One of those really idiosyncratic artists who has put out a rather diverse catalog, but one of incredibly high quality as well. Not a whole lot of people have.
    I wish his whole catalog would be available again, because I still miss several albums, probably half of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I wish his whole catalog would be available again, because I still miss several albums, probably half of it.
    Same here. Hopefully they may get a reissue treatment someday, or if not, maybe some affordable copies will show up on discogs or elsewhere.

What's your favorite by Joe Jackson, out of the ones you've heard?
    Last edited by aith01; 01-10-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Simply wonderful. I can't wait to get it.

Thanks for the heads up. I always love Joe's work
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Same here. Hopefully they may get a reissue treatment someday, or if not, maybe some affordable copies will show up on discogs or elsewhere.

What's your favorite by Joe Jackson, out of the ones you've heard?
    That's a really tough choice.
    I love Night and day II and Fast forward, but actually I like all his albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I was too slow off the mark for London tickets, but will be watching the resale sites for a reasonably priced opportunity. I’ve kept apace with most of his releases over the years, but have seen him play all too infrequently, and really do not want to miss him again.
    I have a single ticket that I cannot now use.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Jumpin Jive is great.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Lucky enough to have all of his albums except for the new one and Mike's Murder (although some of that is on the Night and Day Deluxe Edition I think.)

I'd really like to catch a show this time. I love all of his live albums even with the various lineups. He always puts together an awesome band.

These are the Joe Jackson albums I own:
    Look sharp!
    I'm the man
    Joe Jackson's jumpin' jive
    Night and day
    Body and soul
    Big world
    Night music
    Heaven & Hell
    Night and day II
    Volume 4
    Afterlive - Live
    At the BBC
    Rain
    Live music Europe 2010
    The Duke
    Fast forward
    The ultimate collection (this one contains Mike's murder as a bonus disc)

I miss:
    Beat crazy
    Will power
    Live 1980/86
    Tucker
    Blaze of glory
    Laughter and lust
    Symphony 1
    Summer in the city live in New York
    and his latest one

^ Excellent list but Blaze Of Glory is one of my all time favourites and Laughter And Lust is not far behind. Essential additions to your JJ collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    ^ Excellent list but Blaze Of Glory is one of my all time favourites and Laughter And Lust is not far behind. Essential additions to your JJ collection.
    I want them all, but they are not available, except of course his last one, which will be added sometime.

Good to hear that Joe Jackson is active and creative.

My favourites are Body And Soul, Blaze Of Glory, Night Music, Symphony 1 And Night and Day II. I'm less inclined toward the full-on rockers, but he does them fine too.

This thread makes me realize I've lost track of his releases some years ago. Rain and Fool slipped under the radar. (Well, Fool isn't out yet apparently.)

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Good to hear that Joe Jackson is active and creative.

My favourites are Body And Soul, Blaze Of Glory, Night Music, Symphony 1 And Night and Day II. I'm less inclined toward the full-on rockers, but he does them fine too.

This thread makes me realize I've lost track of his releases some years ago. Rain and Fool slipped under the radar. (Well, Fool isn't out yet apparently.)
    I'm missing more of his older stuff. His more recent output I all have.