Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: King's X in 2019: New Album + Book

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    'Tape Head' is fantastic...easily their best album of the Metal Blade era.
    Agreed. 'Little Bit of Soul' is one of my favourite King's X songs of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I saw the Woodstock 94 show and thought, "Awesome, now everyone can see plain as day how great these guys are and maybe they will break through! Finally!"

Then the short-haired, sleeveless shirted, feminist singer songwriter thing happened. The failing record companies were killing off grunge to push this new marketing segment. IMO, that was the beginning of the end of the music business. The final death blow was the explosion of home internet usage and mp3 sharing as the nineties came to a close. Poof.

King's X missed their chance at success by about 5 years. They could have surfed the grunge wave side by side with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and that godawful band, Nivana. It didn't help that ATLANTIC RECORDS TOTALLY F-CKED THEM WITH ZERO SUPPORT, TOO. Atlantic could have pushed them on the heels of that Woodstock performance but they didn't. Instead, Atlantic wanted to push the manhaters club. The companies were aliening a very large segment of their customer base. That was stupid.

I know the King's X is not that fond of the record "Ear Candy" BUT it has some of the best songs the band ever wrote. Check it out if you haven't already. The original version of "Freedom" included on "Ear Candy" (might only be on the Japanese release?) smokes the redux from a few years ago.
    So we're blaming the Lilith Fair for King's X's failure to break through?

I came to know Ty's work through Jelly Jam and Platypus and after raving about it, someone here (I forget who, sorry it was so long ago) burned me the first 4 KX albums. I couldn't put my finger on why they didn't blow me away; I certainly liked all the parts that had the trademark Ty guitar/vocals. And they were exciting to watch live. So after seeing this thread I'm binge-listening to the rest of their catalog on YT and I think I'm liking some of the later albums better (although it's been a very long time since I listened to the first four). Dogman, Tape Head and Ear Candy all sounded pretty good to me. Ogre Tones, not bad. "XV" ain't grabbin' me, I hear some awkward topical lyrics, kinda like Rush on Test for Echo or Snakes & Arrows. Still gotta hear "Bulbous" and what else have I missed?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Manic Moonlight

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I came to know Ty's work through Jelly Jam and Platypus and after raving about it, someone here (I forget who, sorry it was so long ago) burned me the first 4 KX albums. I couldn't put my finger on why they didn't blow me away; I certainly liked all the parts that had the trademark Ty guitar/vocals. And they were exciting to watch live. So after seeing this thread I'm binge-listening to the rest of their catalog on YT and I think I'm liking some of the later albums better (although it's been a very long time since I listened to the first four). Dogman, Tape Head and Ear Candy all sounded pretty good to me. Ogre Tones, not bad. "XV" ain't grabbin' me, I hear some awkward topical lyrics, kinda like Rush on Test for Echo or Snakes & Arrows. Still gotta hear "Bulbous" and what else have I missed?
    "Bulbous" is actually one of my favorites from them, although it gets mixed reviews from many fans. "Manic Moonlight" I don't like as much, but it has it's moments.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Bulbous" is actually one of my favorites from them, although it gets mixed reviews from many fans. "Manic Moonlight" I don't like as much, but it has it's moments.
    I love this band. Seen them live countless times. I will say though, that after Dogman, all of their albums have had their moments, but are not great albums on the whole. Just my .02.

neil

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ki...hcoming-album/

17 songs recorded for new double album

late 2019 release

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post

King's X missed their chance at success by about 5 years. They could have surfed the grunge wave side by side with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and that godawful band, Nivana. It didn't help that ATLANTIC RECORDS TOTALLY F-CKED THEM WITH ZERO SUPPORT, TOO. Atlantic could have pushed them on the heels of that Woodstock performance but they didn't. Instead, Atlantic wanted to push the manhaters club. The companies were aliening a very large segment of their customer base. That was stupid.

I know the King's X is not that fond of the record "Ear Candy" BUT it has some of the best songs the band ever wrote. Check it out if you haven't already. The original version of "Freedom" included on "Ear Candy" (might only be on the Japanese release?) smokes the redux from a few years ago.
    King's X and Grunge? I don't see it. Waaay to musical for that. Totally agree with you about Ear Candy, though! Great album.

I always thought of King's X as the metal Beatles.

What I got from the book was methinks Sam Taylor is a slick crook.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    King's X and Grunge? I don't see it. Waaay to musical for that. Totally agree with you about Ear Candy, though! Great album.

I always thought of King's X as the metal Beatles.
    King's X using that D-tuning and distorted bass sound in the late 80s is largely credited by musicians like Jeff Ament, Jerry Cantrell and Layne Stayley (RIP) as a huge influence on what came out of Seattle in the 90s. King's X never really (IMO) had a "metal" side, ala Priest or Maiden. They were however heavily influenced by "heavy" bands like old Sabbath and Purple. A heavy Beatles for sure...with Jimi Hendrix/Sly Stone on lead vocals.

They don't hate Ear Candy...they were just perplexed as they wrote what they thought Atlantic asked for, a bunch of singles, then the album wasn't promoted and failed.