Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: King's X in 2019: New Album + Book

Just put the book on my Amazon Want List.

And yeah, I love Ear Candy. The only KX record that I don't listen to everything on is BLS.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, is it Doug Pinnick, or dUg Pinnick as the press release has it?
    His name is Doug. He's odd and artistic and expressive, so he started spelling his name dUg.

Can anyone recommend a few live videos on YouTube? I've listened to a bit of the band, but never seen them in action. I like their sound, but never explored their music fully.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnuyU7G8PEY

Can anyone recommend a few live videos on YouTube? I've listened to a bit of the band, but never seen them in action. I like their sound, but never explored their music fully.

I actually just finished reading the authorized biography of Pinnick (good book btw). His legal name is still Doug, but he started using dUg as a stage name a while back. The book does not really go into why, just that he decided to do it for some reason.

Probably their best known song:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Probably their best known song:

I believe that was shot during the LA riots. They were booked on a show (Leno? Conan?), and due to the riots there was no audience. They shot the performance anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the vid looks familiar to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I believe that was shot during the LA riots. They were booked on a show (Leno? Conan?), and due to the riots there was no audience. They shot the performance anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the vid looks familiar to me.
    I believe that is correct, but not totally sure on it.

that video is on a FOX Affiliate, so I doubt it was Conan or Leno.

here's maybe their most well-known TV appearance on the short-lived Jon Stewart show in 1994.

Dennis Miller

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Miller

Guests included Mountain (with Leslie West and Corky Laing), Toad the Wet Sprocket (who made their national television debut on the show), Henry Rollins (who appeared repeatedly to chat with Miller and perform spoken word), Primus (who while performing "Tommy the Cat", had to deal with a member of the audience who jumped onstage—whom Miller playfully tried to "tackle"), King's X (who performed two songs, "Black Flag" and "It's Love" to empty seats in the studio due to the 1992 Los Angeles riots), and comedian Bill Hicks.
    also it's worth mentioning Ty add's a nod to Norwegian Wood at the end of It's Love (4:39).

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Dennis Miller

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Miller

also it's worth mentioning Ty add's a nod to Norwegian Wood at the end of It's Love (4:39).
    Ah, thank you, sir!

that video is on a FOX Affiliate, so I doubt it was Conan or Leno.

here's maybe their most well-known TV appearance on the short-lived Jon Stewart show in 1994.

Ooh, thanks for that! dUg is one of the best screamers in rawk.

Lol, it looks like he messes up around 3:15 and starts to sing, "give me..." and then half smiles. Seconds later, he puts a "gun" to his head.

And Jerry. That guy must go through drum heads like I go through beer!
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 12-09-2018 at 02:56 PM.

The first 4 albums seem to get the most love and while there are some great songs on there, there are also some that leave me flat. Hard to pin down why this band didn't click better with me, but when I see live videos I like them a lot better. I don't hear much mention of Tape Head from 1988 but I'm listening to it for the first time and this might be my favorite KX! Maybe I should investigate more of the stuff from Dogman onward, is that when they were considered to have become more heavy/down-tuned? Maybe that's the sound I like better for them...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was just going to mention that - very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    The first 4 albums seem to get the most love and while there are some great songs on there, there are also some that leave me flat. Hard to pin down why this band didn't click better with me, but when I see live videos I like them a lot better. I don't hear much mention of Tape Head from 1988 but I'm listening to it for the first time and this might be my favorite KX! Maybe I should investigate more of the stuff from Dogman onward, is that when they were considered to have become more heavy/down-tuned? Maybe that's the sound I like better for them...
    I have always thought that they had something live, that was not really captured on their studio albums. I don't think there is any studio album that I love all the way through, although they all have good material.

Always loved Prisoner from their 1992 s/t album.

Great outro guitar solo from Ty

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

bump.

https://twitter.com/kingsx/status/11...74392802185222

We might just have an album.. #kingsx #newalbum #kingsoftheroad @ Pasadena, California
    https://www.instagram.com/p/ByFjLwMn...d=9l3w83uwnfw5

Seeing this thread again. I finished the book a couple of weeks ago. It is very good. The sad thing about it is that these guys are not able to make a living off of Kings X. Kind of sad.....

It is wonderful that they are still close friends (and coworkers). I agree with the rest here that it is a crime King's X are unable to support themselves with the band. Strange how most musicians revere them with high praise yet most of the public would rather listen to Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry. It is an upside down world.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    It is wonderful that they are still close friends (and coworkers). I agree with the rest here that it is a crime King's X are unable to support themselves with the band. Strange how most musicians revere them with high praise yet most of the public would rather listen to Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry. It is an upside down world.
    There was a discussion in another thread about Thin Lizzy and UFO. Two bands that seemed right on the cusp of making it big in the U.S., but it never really happened for either of them. Although Kings X is a very different band, their story is not so different. The book discusses Kings X universally praised performance at Woodstock 94 that was broadcast by MTV all over the world. They were at the top of their game and seemed poised for big breakout success, yet it never happened for some reason. I get that their music is not for everyone, and maybe they were a little bit ahead of their time, but it is amazing how many musicians cite them as influences, yet they never were able to “make it” to a point where they could live comfortable lives.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    There was a discussion in another thread about Thin Lizzy and UFO. Two bands that seemed right on the cusp of making it big in the U.S., but it never really happened for either of them. Although Kings X is a very different band, their story is not so different. The book discusses Kings X universally praised performance at Woodstock 94 that was broadcast by MTV all over the world. They were at the top of their game and seemed poised for big breakout success, yet it never happened for some reason. I get that their music is not for everyone, and maybe they were a little bit ahead of their time, but it is amazing how many musicians cite them as influences, yet they never were able to “make it” to a point where they could live comfortable lives.
    Though as a contributor to that thread, I think I need to point out that King's X never seemed to have the same quality of self-sabotage that accounts for a great deal of the reason why UFO and Lizzy never made it big. For King's X, it just appears to be sheer rotten luck. For me, they're much closer in terms of status to an artist like Richard Thompson: always a darling of the critics and musicians that sadly translates into zero commercial crossover.

Btw, I picked up the book when I was in Canada in March, and finished it quite recently: fascinating read, well worth picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Btw, I picked up the book when I was in Canada in March, and finished it quite recently: fascinating read, well worth picking up.
    I didn't realize the book was out yet. I definitely want to pick it up. I'm curious did you buy from a brick and mortar store in Canada, or Amazon?

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    'Tape Head' is fantastic...easily their best album of the Metal Blade era.

I saw the Woodstock 94 show and thought, "Awesome, now everyone can see plain as day how great these guys are and maybe they will break through! Finally!"

Then the short-haired, sleeveless shirted, feminist singer songwriter thing happened. The failing record companies were killing off grunge to push this new marketing segment. IMO, that was the beginning of the end of the music business. The final death blow was the explosion of home internet usage and mp3 sharing as the nineties came to a close. Poof.

King's X missed their chance at success by about 5 years. They could have surfed the grunge wave side by side with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and that godawful band, Nivana. It didn't help that ATLANTIC RECORDS TOTALLY F-CKED THEM WITH ZERO SUPPORT, TOO. Atlantic could have pushed them on the heels of that Woodstock performance but they didn't. Instead, Atlantic wanted to push the manhaters club. The companies were aliening a very large segment of their customer base. That was stupid.

I know the King's X is not that fond of the record "Ear Candy" BUT it has some of the best songs the band ever wrote. Check it out if you haven't already. The original version of "Freedom" included on "Ear Candy" (might only be on the Japanese release?) smokes the redux from a few years ago.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I didn't realize the book was out yet. I definitely want to pick it up. I'm curious did you buy from a brick and mortar store in Canada, or Amazon?

neil
    It was in a brick and mortar store in one of the big shopping malls in central Toronto.