Thread: Accordo Dei Contrari at Orion on Saturday, 10/13

Accordo Dei Contrari at Orion on Saturday, 10/13

8:00pm, Saturday, October 13th

The Orion LiveMusic Showcases
    at Orion Studios, 2903 Whittington Ave., Baltimore

present:

From Italy comes the next band sure to lift the roof here at Orion! They just played last weekend's ProgStock music festival in Rahway, NJ. By the sounds of things they really tore it up, too!
    Accordo dei Contrari was formed in 2001 in Bologna, Italy, conceived as a vehicle for making original instrumental music. For three years, they worked as a trio with Cristian Franchi on drums, Giovanni Parmeggiani on keyboards and Alessandro Pedrini on guitar. In 2003, Daniele Piccinini joined the band on bass, but soon Alessandro Pedrini departed. They became a quintet in January 2004 with Cristian Franchi on drums, Giovanni Parmeggiani on keyboards, Daniele Piccinini on bass, Marco Marzo on guitar and Vladimiro Cantaluppi on violin. In 2006 Vladimiro Cantaluppi left the band – just one month before recording. Thus Accordo dei Contrari recorded their very first work as a quartet (Cristian Franchi on drums, Giovanni Parmeggiani on keyboards, Daniele Piccinini on bass, Marco Marzo on guitar), and the album Kinesis was the result. With two days of live-recording in studio in June 2006, with short overdubs of violin and sax in October-November 2006, Kinesis (AltrOck 2007) was critically acclaimed and won the Prog Award for the best Italian album of progressive rock in 2007.

Since 2007, they have focused their attention on improvisation, polyrhythms, and playing together and interacting musically on stage: they wanted to grow as a living rock group. They started playing some gigs during the period 2008-2009 in Europe (AltrOck festival in Milan, Italy; Progrésiste in Verviers, Belgium; Cheese Prog festival in Strasbourg, France; Gong festival in Parma, Italy; Freakshow Artrock festival in Würzburg, Germany) and worked on new compositions, both acoustic and electric. They were engaged in 2010 for the prestigious NEARfest 2011 in Bethlehem, PA, USA, before it was unfortunately cancelled. In the meanwhile, they started collaboration with Richard Sinclair (ex Caravan, Hatfield and the North, Camel) for live-acts.

They recorded their second album, Kublai, in July 2010 at Mauro Pagani’s Officine Meccaniche, in Milan, and published it as a self-production in April 2011. One of the recorded songs, L’ombra di un sogno, features Richard Sinclair on vocals. In September 2012, they played at the prestigious ProgDay (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA), their very first venture overseas.

In the year 2013, they worked on new material, and after a two-day and a one-day period of recording (on January 17-18 and February 15, 2014) at Loris Ceroni’s Le Dune, in Riolo Terme, they published their third, (again) totally instrumental album, AdC (AltrOck 2014). Here the formula of the electric quartet is occasionally enriched by violin, viola and cello. In August 2014, they played at the prestigious Crescendo Festival (Saint Palais sur Mer, France). As a trio without bass, they also played at Berchidda Festival, organized by the famous trumpet player Paolo Fresu. In the meanwhile, bass player Daniele Piccinini left the band (August/September 2014).

Accordo dei Contrari started working on their fourth album, Violato Intatto, as a trio without electric bass. Then Stefano Radaelli, on alto & baritone sax, joined the band (January 2016). Violato Intatto, which was recorded from 16 to 23 July, 2016, is a double album, and was released in May of 2017. It is testimony to the inspiration, efficiency and variety of forms of the new quartet (Cristian Franchi on drums, Giovanni Parmeggiani on keyboards, Stefano Radaelli on alto & baritone sax, Marco Marzo on guitar).

Accordo dei Contrari’s influences range from progressive rock and rock-jazz of seventies, to contemporary jazz and classical music of 20th century (Stravinsky, Messiaen).

Da Rulz:
    All ages show
    BYOB - coolers cool
    Band donation: $15
    Help spread the word - bring a friend!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Make The Effort.....Go See These Guys! It’s simple and who knows if they will return to the USA? I found it a breath of fresh air from the kids their age acting as Dream Theater Clones.....

I'd so like to see one of these shows, AdC is one of my favorite current bands. Unfortunately it's not looking like schedules will permit. I hope those who do get the chance will take advantage and have a great time!

Bill

Not only a great band….great venue. Not exactly a venue...more like a concert at your home. Even my wife liked it(Soft Machine)

They were really a great change of pace from the vocal dominated bands that played at Progstock. You can hear the Soft Machine type influences as well as a bit of Van der Graaf Generator Banton/Jackson playing ("dirty organ" sound).

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I would love to be there for this, but I'll be a way for the weekend. I hope they have a full house!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I would love to be there for this, but I'll be a way for the weekend. I hope they have a full house!
    Seeing the "excitement" the announcement generated here, I highly doubt it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Looked pretty full from the photo's.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Looked pretty full from the photo's.
    It was very well attended and very well received.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It was very well attended and very well received.
    Also very well envied. Ridiculous you get to see them, and we poor neighbors can't (but I wouldn't bet on a larger than 50 people attendance in my 5 millions hometown )

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Also very well envied. Ridiculous you get to see them, and we poor neighbors can't (but I wouldn't bet on a larger than 50 people attendance in my 5 millions hometown )
    Well attended at Orion means 40-45 people.

This music has no significant audience to speak of, so it's the same everywhere in the world.

Not so much difference.....although we DID see them; Orion is a very special thing and a very special place.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Well attended at Orion means 40-45 people.

This music has no significant audience to speak of, so it's the same everywhere in the world.

Not so much difference.....although we DID see them; Orion is a very special thing and a very special place.
    Doesn't it make you wish there were more intelligent people correlated to prog? Still it's sick you got to see them, and even more of a privilege. This is a truly quality band.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Doesn't it make you wish there were more intelligent people correlated to prog? Still it's sick you got to see them, and even more of a privilege. This is a truly quality band.
    I just wish there were more THOUGHTFUL people. Overall and in general.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I just wish there were more THOUGHTFUL people. Overall and in general.
    I think I'll have to put some Snickers bars in the crab dip next time to calm down Jerry.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Not sure if he really likes the music, or just really likes the prog scene for it's forgiveness of eccentricity.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

How can I pick up a copy of the vinyl edition of the new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than their merch table, I don't see it out there in the states.
    (edit, maybe at ebay or a resell site. )
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Dear Fracktured,

You can now find the vinyl here:

http://store.maracash.com/product_in...roducts_id=471

Or you can wait for us coming back to the States! For we want to play there again as soon as possible!

Dear All,

Let me thank again all the people we met in these wonderful days in the States. Too many to mention them - but we still have and will have them forever in our heart. You gave us so much love!

Giovanni (Accordo dei Contrari)

Hi Giovanni,

It was a great pleasure!!!

Best to everyone!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    How can I pick up a copy of the vinyl edition of the new one?
    We’ll get it in soon-ish.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com