Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicago's Progtoberfest 19-20-21 oct 2018 line-up... in 11 days !

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Oh how I wish I could go to this!

For those that are going on Friday please check out and support Tempano. One of my very favorite bands with a very interesting history. Pioneers of progressive rock in South America (Venezuela) in the late 70's. Released one classic album in '79 Atabal-Yemal then promptly broke up. The Tempano name carried on throughout the 80's and 90's with one original member and became a pop act. Quite popular in their home country. Then finally some 20+ years later the original 4 reunited to once again play their first album and work on new material in their unique progressive style. They've released 3 albums since. 2006 The Agony & The Ecstasy being my favorite.

Fantastic stuff - here is a couple of links (one of them in the early years and one later) to check out if you want to hear some of them:

Presencias y Ausencias - The original lineup in 1980 shortly before they broke up[/URL]
    El Fin de la Infancia - from their first album after reuniting 1999 - they came back in a big way with this huge epic piece.

any other fans of this band?
    Saw them at ProgDay they were great.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    ^^^
    Tempano grabbed my interest in this fest early on.

which is great for only the main venue. What if Tempano or Screaming Headless Torsos are relegated to the smaller venue which is standing room only, kind of a bummer but i'm sure very worth it in the end.
    Actually the smaller venue is almost all tables. I have rarely not been able to find a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

And as die-hard as I am to finally see FM, and in my own city, I just don't do that on a Sunday night.
    I had planned on taking Monday off, but have a retirement seminar to attend.... I think that will wake me up!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

FM is booked for the smaller venue I believe, the Music Joint. While Soft Machine are in the rock club.

I hope it will not be too cold for fans hopping from one venue to another, that is a bummer. I'm glad the recent Progstock I attended took place at the same venue except for the IQ meet & greet at the Hamilton stage across the street in Rahway, NJ.

Tempano: That album "El Fin de la Infancia" directly rips off the name from Marillion's Childhood's End, coincidence?

Apocalypse from Brazil: If you haven't heard them, you will be shocked how much they DO sound like Marillion, excellent band!

The venues are actually the same venue, so hopping from one to another is just walking down the very short hall. Weather won't matter.

I'm looking forward to taking part in TWO shows in relation to this. We hope a lot of you will come into town early for Thursday!

Thursday, 10/18 (Progtoberfest Pre-Party)-District 97 & Zappa Music w/Ike Willis and Cloud Zero (Porcupine Tree Tribute Band).

Sunday, 10/21-Tim Seisser, Andrew Lawrence, Jonathan Schang (all District 97( and guitarists Chris Siebold (Kick The Cat, Psychles) and Jeremey Poparad (Axon-Neuron) will be playing the 1979 Bruford classic One Of A Kind in full! Don't miss this very special one-time performance.

Here's a video of the 3 D97 guys tacking Five G with a guest guitarist from April's Holdsworth Tribute.

If anyone has not yet bought tickets, I have a Saturday and Sunday ticket available. Please email me at laduca@msu.edu

Well, about to start, sadly I can not make it there but would love to read some reviews, a few bands i am interested in...

Nick D'Virgilio
    FM
    Tempano
    Soft Machine
    Neal Morse
    French TV
    Little Atlas
    Dinosaur Exhibit (feat. Jerry Goodman)

Interestingly Little Atlas has at least one guy from Venezuela, if not 2

Tempano's latest offering still on heavy rotation, also new Soft Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Well, about to start, sadly I can not make it there but would love to read some reviews, a few bands i am interested in...

Nick D'Virgilio
    FM
    Tempano
    Soft Machine
    Neal Morse
    French TV
    Little Atlas
    Dinosaur Exhibit (feat. Jerry Goodman)

Interestingly Little Atlas has at least one guy from Venezuela, if not 2

Tempano's latest offering still on heavy rotation, also new Soft Machine.
    I will try to write up some level of review if I get time next week.

Well, the good news is that there is not a complete overlap of Soft Machine and FM.

Soft Machine 10-11:30 in Rock Club.
    FM 11-12:30 in Music Joint.

The bad news is that is one late Sunday night and a lot of pulled pork....
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-20-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Cam Hawkins told me FM was from 9 to 10:30. did it change?

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    Cam Hawkins told me FM was from 9 to 10:30. did it change?
    I got that from the Reggie's schedule online. Don't know how up to date they keep it. I wouldn't mind that if true.

Wow.....what a weekend of fantastic music. Kudos once again to Kevin and the staff at Reggies. I will post more when I get time later in the week.

Yes, it was a late night, but worth it! Seeing FM/Cam Hawkins after 38 years as a fan was great. Current lineup sounds very good. I miss Martin Deller's more fluid style, but DeLong is a beast behind the kit. Aaron Solomon did a great job on violin/mandolin and added some great backing vocals. I rolled in to work an hour late today.

How was Unreal City?

Got back yesterday, and it was a phenomenal weekend of music and friends. No time for much detail, but standouts for me were: Screaming Headless Torsos, Soften the Glare, Farmhouse Odyssey, The Devil's Staircase, Lovely Little Girls and FM. But there were so many others...Jeavestone, Bubblemath, Sonus Umbra, Ultimate Queen Tribute (which I was not expecting to care much for, but loved), the Alan Holdsworth tribute...the list goes on. And, there was almost always some form of seating available, so anyone on the fence who has not tried this fest, should give it a go some year. Outstandingly run (everything was pretty much spot on time, and with 41 bands, give or take, that is saying something) and a very chilled atmosphere. Congratulations and thanks to Kevin and all else involved, on a job very well done.

neil

My ears and brain have sufficiently recovered let me try to give a brief overview of Sunday. First, I'll echo Steve and say thanks to Kevin and the staff for putting in a lot of work to organize one hell of a festival. The professionalism was truly impressive. Bands went on as scheduled, to the minute. I do have some cons as well as pros, but that is only to give a more accurate picture of an overall great festival day.

Devil's Staircase. I arrived halfway through, and enjoyed headbanging to their neo-Crimsonite riffing. Didn't know until the end that it was a supergroup including members/former members of Sonus Umbra, Cabezas de Cera and Anglagard.

Ovadya. Hare-Krishna drone rock you could call it. I felt like I should put on a robe and beg for a bowl of rice. A lot of wordless vocals. Weird but effective.

Little Atlas. Nice symph. Great bassist. Probably would have been more enjoyable if I knew the music. I will investigate further

Aaron Clift experiment. Guy who looked like a high school student council president up front, singing & playing keys. Satisfying short songs influenced by Rush and the lighter end of prog-metal. These guys could go on to mainstream success if such a thing still exists. I bought their latest CD.

Zappa collective. Don't know enough about Zappa to know what they were performing. Vocal harmony stuff. Good singers, and it was fun and funny but not thrilling. Left to go eat.

Mobius Strip. Young Italian fusioneers. These guys were probably the best surprise of the night. They out-soft-machined Soft Machine. Keyboardist seemed to be the leader, and he did a great job at channeling Mike Ratledge and Chick Corea. Too bad they had no CDs to sell. They were (rightly so) afraid of them being confiscated at customs.

French TV. After hearing about these guys for probably 15-20 years, this first time I heard them they were sadly a disappointment. Only on the last tune (Cornocopia of Riches IIRC) did they really start to jell and cook. Before that it was too random and scattershot. Didn't build to anything.

Bruford Tribute. A mixed bag. Drums/bass/keys were fantastic. The guitarists? Not so much. It is a tough call. When you just plain can't do the Holdsworth parts, what do you do? One guitarist (the short guy with the beard) seemed to just be winging it. Didn't seem like he knew the tunes at all. The mix didn't help. I often couldn't hear the guitars.

Soft Machine. Travis and Etheridge were really on. Set was very similar to the Iridium set from the webcast. Travis' flutework was a highlight. But sadly Husband was not a good choice for a substitute, as good a drummer as he is. He showed none of Marshall's nuanced, subtle understanding of the tunes. Husband was probably a better timekeeper, though.

FM. Yowza. Missed first 1/2 hour due to Soft Machine. But did not miss any of Black Noise, played from start to finish. New FM was truly great. Tick one off the bucket list!

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Got back yesterday, and it was a phenomenal weekend of music and friends. No time for much detail, but standouts for me were: Screaming Headless Torsos, Soften the Glare, Farmhouse Odyssey, The Devil's Staircase, Lovely Little Girls and FM. But there were so many others...Jeavestone, Bubblemath, Sonus Umbra, Ultimate Queen Tribute (which I was not expecting to care much for, but loved), the Alan Holdsworth tribute...the list goes on. And, there was almost always some form of seating available, so anyone on the fence who has not tried this fest, should give it a go some year. Outstandingly run (everything was pretty much spot on time, and with 41 bands, give or take, that is saying something) and a very chilled atmosphere. Congratulations and thanks to Kevin and all else involved, on a job very well done.

neil
    Was Ed with FM?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Was Ed with FM?
    I believe that was the violin / Mandolin / vocalists name, but not totally sure on that. All I know is he was fricking amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Bruford Tribute. A mixed bag. Drums/bass/keys were fantastic. The guitarists? Not so much. It is a tough call. When you just plain can't do the Holdsworth parts, what do you do? One guitarist (the short guy with the beard) seemed to just be winging it. Didn't seem like he knew the tunes at all. The mix didn't help. I often couldn't hear the guitars.

FM. Yowza. Missed first 1/2 hour due to Soft Machine. But did not miss any of Black Noise, played from start to finish. New FM was truly great. Tick one off the bucket list!
    I thought Chris Siebold (taller non-bearded guitarist) did a great job (as usual) covering Holdsworth. I've seen the other guy do his stuff before, and I seem to recall it being much better, but Sunday, he wasn't quite on it and his tone didn't compare to Chris' at all. I also thought the guitar was strangely low in the mix.

FM = bucket list - YES! I didn't stay for much of Soft Machine because I wanted to get a good spot for FM.

Was Ed with FM?
    No, it was Aaron Solomon who also played on Transformation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gearHed289; 10-23-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Was Ed with FM?
    No.

neil

Anyone have any review/thoughts about Bubblemath's set? I have Edit Peptide and enjoy it a lot, and I'm wondering how in the hell they can pull that stuff off live!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Anyone have any review/thoughts about Bubblemath's set? I have Edit Peptide and enjoy it a lot, and I'm wondering how in the hell they can pull that stuff off live!
    Hey, they played a great set, but played absolutely nothing from Edit Peptide. Other than Be Together (from Such Fine Particles of the Universe), everything they played was from the upcoming third album. I chatted briefly with the drummer, and apparently all drum tracks are laid down and things are moving along nicely. The new songs sounded killer (in particular the opening and closing numbers...the last song, especially, being very intense), and played every crazy part that you'd expect that you know and love, with great precision and finesse. One of many fine sets at Progtoberfest.

neil

^^^

Cool, thanks! I need to keep an eye on their calendar; hopefully they'll have a date that I can make in the future.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.