Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rush Hemispheres 40th Anniversary Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Nice, review, Valen! I'd suggest one small change: perhaps don't refer to the live CD as a "fly by night set," as it had me thinking it was a set from the Fly By Night tour. That would admittedly make little sense, but it had me checking dates and setlists to make sure.
    And there I was thinking I was being witty....

I've been playing Hemispheres a lot lately. I should blame this thread but really it's just my winter Rush binge beginning to surface.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Unboxing video of the box set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaLN8FpmEVc

I am a big fan of Rush since 1974, so I am very disappointed by this box set release, especially compared to the 2 previous ones. The 5.1 mix is awful. The first solo on Hemisphere is like he turn a switch on and when it loads, seems like we hear the switch, all the solos (guitar and synths) are like that. The vocal are so far away. I cannot believe this was approved by the band.
    Hemisphere is still my favorite Rush album, so I am happy for the 180g vinyl, since my original red vinyl has been over used. I also have the SACD Audio Fidelity, so I still get the HI-Res sound on my system. And I also puchase the 192/24 from HDTracks a few years ago. So yeah, I invested a lot in Hemisphere (I also have the the 3 crate box sets). This guy did all the bad 5.1 mixes on those box sets and 2112 (this one is no so bad). Happy that Wislon did the AFtK 5.1 mix. Also, the could have found a full live show to include with it. The Blu-ray is really not essential. So, get the CD version for the essay, that is enough.
    - Blackwaterpark

Quote Originally Posted by blackwaterpark View Post
    I am a big fan of Rush since 1974, so I am very disappointed by this box set release, especially compared to the 2 previous ones.
    Thanks for this review.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I am a big fan of Rush since 1974, so I am very disappointed by this box set release, especially compared to the 2 previous ones. The 5.1 mix is awful. The first solo on Hemisphere is like he turn a switch on and when it loads, seems like we hear the switch, all the solos (guitar and synths) are like that. The vocal are so far away. I cannot believe this was approved by the band.
    Hemisphere is still my favorite Rush album, so I am happy for the 180g vinyl, since my original red vinyl has been over used. I also have the SACD Audio Fidelity, so I still get the HI-Res sound on my system. And I also puchase the 192/24 from HDTracks a few years ago. So yeah, I invested a lot in Hemisphere (I also have the the 3 crate box sets). This guy did all the bad 5.1 mixes on those box sets and 2112 (this one is no so bad). Happy that Wislon did the AFtK 5.1 mix. Also, the could have found a full live show to include with it. The Blu-ray is really not essential. So, get the CD version for the essay, that is enough.
    I think it's laudable that this is your first post in (at least) six years of membership, and you correctly used the name Wislon.

I'd like a review of the Blackwater Park -Dirtbox album, please.

Vous comprenez pourquoi je ne veux jamais posté avec vos commentaires.
    - Blackwaterpark

Certains postent trop, et c’est rarement intéressant.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Vous comprenez pourquoi je ne veux jamais posté avec vos commentaires.
    My comment was sincere.

At the risk of being called out by JKL2000 for not being a frequent poster, I do lurk about almost daily enjoying the threads but I needed to wholeheartedly agree with blackwaterpark on his review of the 5.1 mix of Hemispheres and was glad to know that I am not the only one disappointed in the mix.

Hemispheres is one on my favorite Rush albums and I was so excited for a 5.1 remix. AFtK 5.1 mix done by Steven Wilson was done very well, imo, and the packaging, the visuals on the blu-ray were all done remarkably well. The live disks for AFtK were stellar, but once again Richard Chycki 5.1 mix does not sound right to my ears. blackwaterpark mentions the solo's, and he is spot on, the one solo were its channeled to the center speaker and upped in volume just sounds wrong and takes away from the experience of Cynus X-1 Book II. There was some parts of the piece that I thought were nicely done, Armegeddon was ok, but overall not good. That being said I did like the mix of The Trees and to a lesser degree La Villa, Circumstances just sounded harsh to my ears, a good vinyl version sounds much better.

Another obvious quibble that was mentioned before was how could they release a live show without the entire Hemispheres being played, only The Sphere is played live, its a box set of Hemispheres, no need for a get bootleg quality version of 2112 thrown in. The Pink Pop version of La Villa sounds great though, one my favorite live performance of that song. Printed lyrics in the full size booklet would be appreciated by these old eyes and the liner notes provided nothing new information wise.

I did try to find out who was going to do the 5.1 remix for this before I did the pre-order but I could not find that information, and in my excitement ordered it anyways. If I knew it was going to be Richard Chycki I probable would of held off until I read some reviews, his 5.1 version of 2112 was nicely done, but his mix of Moving Pictures, Signals, ect were underwhelming to say the least, they should of gotten those two guys who recently did the 5.1 mix of Clutching At Straws, if Steven Wilson wasn't available, that remix I thought was done well, they did not take a aggressive approach (and I can appreciate a aggressive approach if done right) but the sound is clear and well balanced, with some nuisances which I never heard before but unfortunately for my favorite album Hemispheres I would not recommend the blu-ray of it, my two cents who paid $140 bucks for it.

Word has it the Wilson "Kings" is the best surround mix by far. Hemi is another lost opportunity, much like 2112.

As well as getting the Hemispheres set I just picked up the 2112 & Kings cd sets for very cheap prices. It certainly pays to wait for the prices down. I have to say though that the new artwork is mostly ugly. I cant help but think these sets would be much more desirable if the original artwork had been used.

Finally got my copy and while I'll cherish it, the bonus disc is frustrating. We should have gotten a full "Cygnus X-1 Book II", that's just inexcusable. Glad I have the boot Universe Divided - Offenbach, Frankfurt Germany to fall back on.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    As well as getting the Hemispheres set I just picked up the 2112 & Kings cd sets for very cheap prices. It certainly pays to wait for the prices down. I have to say though that the new artwork is mostly ugly. I cant help but think these sets would be much more desirable if the original artwork had been used.
    Where did you get the Kings box?
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Where did you get the Kings box?
    I got it from E Bay UK for £15, (cd box) there is another one on there for the same price but shipping to USA may not be so good...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Thanks!
    Chad

Really hoping they reverse this mediocre course of releases with something special for Permanent Waves 40th. Namely, a full version of the amazing St Louis 80 boot. Stellar recording, and IMO their greatest setlist of all. Of course, assuming this wont happen given the tone deaf record company.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The Sector boxed sets (3 albums per box, one album per box included a 5.1 mix)
    That's kind of a different thing and these new deluxes have the 2015 McGee masters, which to my ears sound a lot better than anything that came before except maybe the original pressings.

At this point that's the only attraction for me to get them (the regular CDs sets) because the bonus material isn't all that impressive (most of which I have anyway.)

If they do decide to release all of the 2015s in a Sector-type box after they've done these deluxe sets, yeah, that would kind of piss me off. But to me the 2015s sound better to me. I just wish the bonus material would be a bit more rare than it current is. Not much of a stretch at this point to think that the Permanent Waves box will have the 75 min St. Louis show included based on the previous evidence, but I really hope to be proven wrong and get to enjoy something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Really hoping they reverse this mediocre course of releases with something special for Permanent Waves 40th. Namely, a full version of the amazing St Louis 80 boot. Stellar recording, and IMO their greatest setlist of all. Of course, assuming this wont happen given the tone deaf record company.
    Just remember Rush sold off their interest in their music several years back to OLE so they aren't all that involved in these.
    They are a band that has always looked forward so they are not likely to be too involved in what is included in the future as each of them have moved on to other things. Maddening, but that's where things stand at the moment.

Had a blast listening to the first cd this afternoon, quite happy with the sonic qualities of this remaster compared to the last which I dislike. Still baffled as to why they included another live version of 2112 from the Arizona show on disc 2 but excluded Hemispheres from the same gig....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Still baffled as to why they included another live version of 2112 from the Arizona show on disc 2 but excluded Hemispheres from the same gig....
    As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Geddy struggled mightily with the live vocals on "Hemispheres". If he and the band didn't veto its inclusion the record company might have.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Not much of a stretch at this point to think that the Permanent Waves box will have the 75 min St. Louis show included based on the previous evidence, but I really hope to be proven wrong and get to enjoy something new.
    Definitely expecting this, and I'll be very happy to get it. Possibly my favorite Rush "album". I recorded it off of WMET in 1980. On 8 track!

Yes agree...and Geddy recently said in the trunk interview that he has very little input..

Still, it is so obvious for them to put the full St Louis show in the PW 40 box (assuming it exists). Anything else I think we can all agree would be a huge disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Geddy struggled mightily with the live vocals on "Hemispheres". If he and the band didn't veto its inclusion the record company might have.
    I agree he struggled with the vocals but I've heard his voice much worse on other official recordings.
    Hemispheres '78
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VmaxROBUhk
    Lakeside Park in 2015 was truly awful
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ZQIxbtMTM