Thread: Marc Moulin - 10 years ago, RIP

Marc Moulin - 10 years ago, RIP

Although it was on Sept 26/08, most of the memorials and festivities will happen between Oct 8 and 13 or 14th of this year

While French-speaking, it appears that the Flemish side of the country will be just as active (in not more so) in memory of Placebo, Telex and his Blue Note trilogy (haven't seen a mention of Cos)
    Radio and TVs of both sides will feature interviews, writings, concerts and other media participations (the man was very funny)
    Includes a cover band called Placenta plays Placebo. (Belgian humour)

Heart-warming that such an intelligent man, making fun of the system (while being part of it) will be so nicely remembered.

Merci pour tout Marc.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This thread is gonna be a biggie fersure!

I mean, if we were eight dudes taking note of Moulin's actual passing, then how many more will havr catched on since? And ol' Rufus isn't even around anymore.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

But I agree, of course, that he should be celebrated. I heard Placebo played at a hipster den here in Oslo just earlier this summer. I believe they went through the whole of 1973.

Badass groovy funky stough for the face and the butt.

His music will live on.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Did you mean Placenta playing in Oslo, or the Alt/Brit Rock band Placebo??

Anyways, thanks for contributing.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Did you mean Placenta playing in Oslo, or the Alt/Brit Rock band Placebo??

Anyways, thanks for contributing.
    No, I heard the entire 1973 album played from the loudspeaker at a hipster place. British pseudo-noise/alt-band Placebo are simply -SO- 2007, while Moulin remains King of da mama hill.

So far so good! It's only a matter of minutes before folx spot this thread and start steaming about.

Did you guys get the Japanese mini CD reissues? If so, how do they sound? The OG's are way out of my price range and that's assuming you can find them.

Well, the name wasn't familiar to me -- until I read "Placebo", which I have definitely heard of. The jazz-rock band, not the alternative-rock band.

But then again, I'm no Rufus.

If you gents would be so kind, what would be a couple good places to get into Mr. Moulin's catalog?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    If you gents would be so kind, what would be a couple good places to get into Mr. Moulin's catalog?
    Placebo debut album

first solo album (76)

- later 70's: he was the producer of the early Cos albums (you can see him in the general picture of Viva Boma)
    - 80's, he did fun new wave electronics duo of Telex (they went to Eurovision and totally and intentionally sabotaged themselves, by making fun of the concours)
    - 90's: became a radio/TV man, extremely funny (writing sketches as well)
    - 00's: Acid jazz trilogy on Blue Note (which released a Placebo compilation)

RTBF (French) actions coming up next week about Marc Moulin

https://www.rtbf.be/musiq3/article/d...91416b9ecff73c

^ Do you think Placebo will return to live action sporting Moulin-hologram wearing fake glasses, Hugues?

This kicks beaucoup des culs

RIP, i just noticed the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Do you think Placebo will return to live action sporting Moulin-hologram wearing fake glasses, Hugues?
    I'm not sure most of these guys are alive, since MM was the youngest in the band

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm not sure most of these guys are alive...
    So, where's the problem? Are you a traitor to the cause, Hugues? We can hologram the shit out of all of them.

And if that doesn't work, we can always exhume.

have not explored any of this guy's music outside of Telex but I will say that Telex absolutely ruled
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

^ Hey, this is serious stuff! I mean, if there's a power failure and the hologram (i.e. Moulin) suddenly disappears, then the fake glasses crash to the floor!

^ Yikes! I didn't even think about that.

You're right, it's no laughing matter.

So how many holograms are we talking here? If the whole band are holograms, maybe they should change their name to Placebo Effect?

Placebo debut LP, is famous soundtrack at hipster bars here as well... Nevermind. Way better than the normal 00s-10s stuff these people are listening to.

PS. Sam' Suffy is a great album as well.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_fla...lin?id=2407999

You have to register, but most likely you won't be able to view it anyways, so I'll post it if it's ever visible planet-wide.

Just so you know, five years ago, the Mael bros of The Sparks appeared on the evening tribute - they did a Telex tune.
    Philip Catherine was there too. Not much space for Placebo, but Rousselet was still alive and well (and present last night at the tribute), not a word for Cos, even Telex 's space was short...

Tonight's tribute is sold-out, but I'll see if I can sneak in anyways (it's 10 minutes walk from my pad)
    Last edited by Trane; 10-13-2018 at 07:05 AM.