Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heliopolis -- Los Angeles Progressive Rock Band

To Scott and family, positive thoughts and prayers are being sent their way. As to the rest of the band, I suspect a monster performance is forthcoming as a musical shout-out to their brother-in-arms that, unfortunately, has far more pressing business to take care of. Puts life in perspective, eh? Regardless, kick some arse out there on the West Coast, gentlemen...

Peace,
    Alex

Wow, Kerry, I'll pray for his dad. I know all too well about parental health these days. All my best to Scott and his Dad, and hope you guys play a blistering set in his honor.

That sucks, KC. Will be sending positive thoughts & vibes to Scott & his dad. I know that you guys will shine for Scott. Go get em!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Jefferson James
    Thanks everyone; sadly, Scott's Dad passed away yesterday.

Sorry to hear that, Kerry. Please let him know that folks on PE are thinking about him.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Jefferson James
    Thank you Bails; Scott's getting things together back home and should be back in Los Angeles soon.

Meanwhile, we had a blast this past weekend down in Mexicali. Of course, the weather was insane -- 101 degrees, just blazingly hot compared to a couple of days before -- but then again, this is pretty much the Sonoran desert so what do you expect? We ran into a bunch of Baja Prog attendees, saw some old friends and made a lot of new ones, too, and of course played music, ate some fantastic Mexican food, and drank plenty of cervezas.

Local band Vertical Smile opened the proceedings; really great stuff, an interesting mix of jazz, rock and prog, very impressive showing:

Next up, we did our thing:

Then Il Castello di Atlante came out and blasted thru an almost two hour show; consummate professionals, soaring and somewhat bombastic Italian prog-rock, and stellar performance and a great bunch of guys:

Some of the good people of Mexicali:

Senoritas! So THAT'S where young women actually enjoy the prog....

Jefferson James
    LOL Greg -- the senoritas in Mexicali always rock, great people down there (as those who attended Baja Prog will attest). Congrats on your gig with 3RDegree and IZZ-Lite, as well -- what a great line-up.

Sharing a quick and dirty video edit of our little roadtrip:

^ Luv it! Gotsta do a mini-tour with you guys someday soon, if only to appear in one of these classic Kompost Kamera-Kazi Kavalcades! Thanks for sharing man!

Jefferson James
    My pleasure, and YES, that would be great!

We have a very limited number of t-shirts left over from this show, size 2XL only, if anyone is interested the info is here.

Very sorry to hear of Scott's dad passing. Glad you guys put on a great show, wish I could have gone. I couldn't go without a passport, and couldn't get a passport because I lost my birth certificate. Applied for a new b.c., and still haven't got it. just a comedy of errors Take care,

Bill

Jefferson James
    Thank you, Bill, very much appreciate the kind words -- get that passport! Sharing some news....

Jorge of Fotomail Imagen Que Llega posted a couple of clips from our recent gig in Mexicali; we were without our lead vocalist for this show but he's back and ready to roll so all good.

This is the end of "New Frontier" and the beginning of our Mars Hollow cover of "In Your Hands":

This is a link to a clip of a new song called "Take a Moment."

We're really most excited about our recording session over Memorial Day weekend; we got drums and bass completed for 40+ minutes of music and the rough mixes from that day sound great to my ears; we've started guitar and keyboard overdubs and things are moving pretty quickly. We have two more songs to record in July and then we can start wrapping things up, if we're lucky the album will be finished by end of summer if we work hard and diligently. Here's a short video from the session:

Not that there's anything earth-shattering going on but there's a few pictures from the session here as well.

Other than that, we're playing with a couple of tribute bands on July 5th -- Caress of Steel, Maiden LA, and us:

If any LA-area PE members are even remotely interested, hit me up; we're on first (8:00PM), it's a Friday, holiday weekend, tons of parking and a great, roomy place to catch a show.

Lastly, it's looking like we will be playing another gig with The Running Jumps on Friday, October 11; their excellent new album is streaming here, fans of "smart pop" XTC-influenced songs will likely enjoy this.

Yes indeedy, the Running Jumps are in my wheelhouse! Thanks KC!

I've never before heard anyone playing & singing a song they wrote a cover.
    Last edited by progeezer; 06-05-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post

Lastly, it's looking like we will be playing another gig with The Running Jumps on Friday, October 11; their excellent new album is streaming here, fans of "smart pop" XTC-influenced songs will likely enjoy this.
    That's cool news. I'd really enjoy seeing you guys perform and also hearing some XTC-type "smart pop". A very good chance that will be my first night in Cali on a two week vacation. A great way to start it!

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yes indeedy, the Running Jumps are in my wheelhouse! Thanks KC!
    Aw, man -- thank you for checking them out. GREAT guys and the "main" dude, Joel Martin, is all over so many bands and projects out here, a ridiculous talent; he has a bitchin' hard rock '70s cover band called Frakkus (umlat over the "u") I'm hoping to sit in with soon.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I've never before heard anyone playing & singing a song they wrote a cover.
    I know, it's kind of a weird situation; we will likely be dropping it from our set as soon as we have enough Heliopolis material for a good 60-75 minute set. That said, I did write the thing and Heliopolis brings a different energy to it so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    That's cool news. I'd really enjoy seeing you guys perform and also hearing some XTC-type "smart pop". A very good chance that will be my first night in Cali on a two week vacation. A great way to start it!
    Philsunset, thanks man -- it would be exceptionally cool to see you. The gig will be at TRiP in Santa Monica if that helps with your planning -- where are you going to be staying? It's a free show, as are all shows at this cool little club. Here's a video from a gig we played there this past March if you're interested. Hope to see you come October.

I'm surprised I didn't pick up on the new band on Facebook.
    I'll have to check out the YouTube links when I'm not at work.

Best of luck!

So looking forward to this new album - can't wait for a full song
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheerah View Post
    I'm surprised I didn't pick up on the new band on Facebook.
    I'll have to check out the YouTube links when I'm not at work. Best of luck!
    Thank you, Sheerah, here's our Facebook page, we'd love to see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So looking forward to this new album - can't wait for a full song
    Thanks, Jerjo; of course you'll have to wait for studio versions but there are live versions of full songs out there for anyone who chooses to listen/watch:

New Frontier
    Elegy
    Love and Inspiration

This one isn't technically a Heliopolis song -- more info coming soon from a record label you may have heard of -- but the band loves playing it; a studio version will be released soon but until then, here's a live one:

Optical Delusion

Hope you dig, thanks in advance for checkin' it out, we really appreciate the kindness and support.

...but there are live versions of full songs out there for anyone who chooses to listen/watch:

Hope you dig, thanks in advance for checkin' it out, we really appreciate the kindness and support.
    Cool! Thanks for sharing those, Kerry.

Philsunset, thanks man -- it would be exceptionally cool to see you. The gig will be at TRiP in Santa Monica if that helps with your planning -- where are you going to be staying? It's a free show, as are all shows at this cool little club. Here's a video from a gig we played there this past March if you're interested. Hope to see you come October.
    I'll be there. I'll be there. I will be there. Kerry, thanks for the club location info. I hadn't thought about lodgings yet. When I've stayed in LA I usually have ended up in Marina Del Rey or nearby. Will be great to hang with you and hear your band! I think it's gonna be an excellent show!

Let us know when you are playing, I am in Garden Grove...

chalkpie
    CoNgRaTs MaN!! Sounding great.

Sounds really good, and less pop than Mars Hollow (though I like that band a lot too). I predict the album ranking very high on my list for this (or next, depending on when it's released) year.

I'll be in Los Angeles the last week of June. I'd for sure come to see you guys if you are playing a gig. Is there any another decent shows that me and the wife could catch while we're there? I've been searching the internet but not coming up with much.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I'll be there. I'll be there. I will be there.
    Thank you, Phil! See you this autumn, that's my favorite time of year out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Let us know when you are playing, I am in Garden Grove...
    Hey man, we're playing Paladino's in lovely Reseda on Friday July 5th with Maiden-LA and Caress of Steel (Iron Maiden and Rush tributes, respectively), we're on early, 8:00PM sharp, it would be a blast to meet you. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    CoNgRaTs MaN!! Sounding great.
    That means a whole lot, man -- thank you SO much. Congrats on the upcoming Frogg Cafe gig at the NJ Proghouse 15th anniversary celebration, I am hoping you guys tape this for us west coasters! Looks like a great weekend of music -- break frogs legs.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson776 View Post
    Sounds really good, and less pop than Mars Hollow (though I like that band a lot too). I predict the album ranking very high on my list for this (or next, depending on when it's released) year.
    Really appreciate you checking it out, King, and thank you for the kind words about Mars Hollow; this band still has some pop elements but there's also more of a jazzy, jammy edge to things as well, along with a taste of some pseudo-industrial vibes along with flat-out rock and roll. We're looking to have this puppy out by late summer/early fall this year -- things are moving really fast recording-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterspace View Post
    I'll be in Los Angeles the last week of June. I'd for sure come to see you guys if you are playing a gig. Is there any another decent shows that me and the wife could catch while we're there? I've been searching the internet but not coming up with much.
    Wow, that's right around the corner! We were offered a gig with a local prog band called The Gekko Project on Saturday June 29th but schedules didn't align; however, The Gekko Project would be worth checking out, I will post the info early next week, I don't think they've got a flyer out there yet. Gonna miss playing for you by a week! Unless you wanted to come to a rehearsal (we rehearse in Van Nuys) on Sunday June 30th?

With all that said, I put together a little collage of four of the tracks and an accompanying video, it's the "City of the Sun" album teaser posted on our website; what you'll hear is what we walked out of the studio with on May 26, 2013: no edits, overdubs or manipulations (aside from the collage edit), just the raw, live tracks. Overdubs are currently in progress with the goal of having everything done by the end of July.

Thanks to anyone who chooses to visit our site and for checking out the video, we appreciate it so much, especially in these salad days with so much great music and so many great bands out there. It means everything to us, please believe.

Returning to your previously scheduled Saturday....