Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Tull Binge

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    It was the area of the good old walkman.
    Ah, those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It seems that a bunch of the LITP tunes are on the second disc of the SW 2011 Aqualung re-mix/master.
    Some of the others are on the Stand Up and Benefit Wilson remix sets.

Anyone else that - being a complete traitor to the Prog - his love for Tull has diminished with time? Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate them as hell, but playing their records would have me snor in a second. Maybe overplaying them when young has taken its toll. Only pre-Aqualung stuff would hit my turntable nowadays, not that I consider them their best, but for some reason only these records would catch my interest.

Nope.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Anyone else that - being a complete traitor to the Prog - his love for Tull has diminished with time? Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate them as hell, but playing their records would have me snor in a second. Maybe overplaying them when young has taken its toll. Only pre-Aqualung stuff would hit my turntable nowadays, not that I consider them their best, but for some reason only these records would catch my interest.
    On the contrary my friend, Ian's music gets better and better with age imo. His melodies are some of the most beautiful in all of progdom, and compared the other Big "five" or whatever, the sheer diversity of the albums and brilliant arrangements puts Tull at the top of the heap for me. This is some of the finest music I have ever heard in prog/rock.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

This is some of the finest music I have ever heard in prog/rock.
    yes it is, no doubt about that. I just find it so difficult to put myself to listen to it, and this goes on for quite a while now. As I said, maybe overplaying, I could recite Passion Play verse by verse.
    And this has happened to me with other great bands like Camel or even Genesis. The only one that still keeps me a hostage is Yes. I am a Yes junkie. I can never say no to Yes.
    But maybe it's time to go back to Tull again. Cheers.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I could never say Null to Tull!

On the contrary my friend, Ian's music gets better and better with age imo. His melodies are some of the most beautiful in all of progdom, and compared the other Big "five" or whatever, the sheer diversity of the albums and brilliant arrangements puts Tull at the top of the heap for me. This is some of the finest music I have ever heard in prog/rock.
    While Tull never surpassed Genesis for me personally, I completely agree that Ian's music is brilliant and he/they made some of the very best music ever in rock (prog or not-prog). I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing Thick As A Brick. That's a desert island disc for me.

yes it is, no doubt about that. I just find it so difficult to put myself to listen to it, and this goes on for quite a while now. As I said, maybe overplaying, I could recite Passion Play verse by verse.
    And this has happened to me with other great bands like Camel or even Genesis. The only one that still keeps me a hostage is Yes. I am a Yes junkie. I can never say no to Yes.
    But maybe it's time to go back to Tull again. Cheers.
    The same thing kinda happened with me, for Pink Floyd. Heard so many of their big songs on the radio all my life that I feel I never need to hear "Money" or "Young Lust" ever again. And then when my younger brother got into them and played their albums so much, I got kinda burned out on them even further.

Animals is a cracking great album though. My favorite PF by far. That one cannot be overplayed, as far as I"m concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I could never say Null to Tull!
    Good one!

I'm with you. I absolutely love everything before Minstrel In The Gallery, some of the finest music ever made, but outside of that and Walk Into Light/Under Wraps, I don't listen to any other Tull.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Just picked up a UK CD of Living In The Past today, at our Salvation Army store. Different track listing than US.
    1 Song For Jeffrey
    2 Love Story
    3 Christmas Song
    4 Living In The Past
    5 Driving Song
    6 Sweet Dream
    7 Singing All Day
    8 Witches Promise
    9 Inside
    10 Just Trying To Be
    11 By Kind Permission Of
    12 Dharma For One
    13 Wond'ring Again
    14 Locomotive Breath
    15 Life Is A Long Song
    16 Up The 'Pool
    17 Dr. Bogenbroom
    18 For Later
    19 Nursie

1 Song For Jeffery
    2 Love Story
    3 Christmas Song
    4 Living In The Past
    5 Driving Song
    6 Sweet Dream
    7 Singing All Day
    8 Witches Promise
    9 Inside
    10 Alive And Well And Living In
    11 Just Trying To Be
    12 By Kind Permission Of
    13 Dharma For One
    14 Wond'ring Again
    15 Hymn 43
    16 Life Is A Long Song
    17 Up The 'Pool
    18 Dr. Bogenbroom
    19 For Later
    20 Nursie

^'Alive And Well...' is the track which was removed from the US Benefit, replaced by 'Teacher'. Hence why the former is on the US version of LITP.

The exclusion of 'Teacher' from the UK CD of LITP made no sense, though.

As for above posts, I have always struggled with a few of their 70s albums. For instance I tried Too Old... again the other day to no avail. I recognise the craft and hard work put into the albums so I can't exactly dismiss them, but there's something I don't connect with.

"Just Trying to be" is a short but total gem

When my wife graduated with an RN degree, she finished first in her class and during her speech she recited "Nursie" on stage.... My eyes weren't exactly dry.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Just picked up a UK CD of Living In The Past today, at our Salvation Army store. Different track listing than US.
    1 Song For Jeffrey
    2 Love Story
    3 Christmas Song
    4 Living In The Past
    5 Driving Song
    6 Sweet Dream
    7 Singing All Day
    8 Witches Promise
    9 Inside
    10 Just Trying To Be
    11 By Kind Permission Of
    12 Dharma For One
    13 Wond'ring Again
    14 Locomotive Breath
    15 Life Is A Long Song
    16 Up The 'Pool
    17 Dr. Bogenbroom
    18 For Later
    19 Nursie

1 Song For Jeffery
    2 Love Story
    3 Christmas Song
    4 Living In The Past
    5 Driving Song
    6 Sweet Dream
    7 Singing All Day
    8 Witches Promise
    9 Inside
    10 Alive And Well And Living In
    11 Just Trying To Be
    12 By Kind Permission Of
    13 Dharma For One
    14 Wond'ring Again
    15 Hymn 43
    16 Life Is A Long Song
    17 Up The 'Pool
    18 Dr. Bogenbroom
    19 For Later
    20 Nursie
    No CD version can replace that great original hard back cover version on vinyl. Love it!

Wasn't Teacher on the original vinyl?

I picked up the original vinyl a decade ago at a second hair store. Teacher is definitely there.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I picked up the original vinyl a decade ago at a second hair store?. Teacher is definitely there.
    You sure have yer Strange Ways up there in North Dakota......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

We are a land without auto-correct
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We are a land without auto-correct
    I no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    No CD version can replace that great original hard back cover version on vinyl. Love it!
    Trivia. The Strawberry Bricks poster from 1992 used the marbling of the inside cover of the LITP as its background. The vinyl grooves of the Revised and Expanded edition of the book are from Minstrel In The Gallery LP.

Wasn't Teacher on the original vinyl?
    Yes, "Teacher" (the US album version) was on both the US and UK editions of the LP. On the US release, it was identified as the representative track from Benefit, and "Alive and Well and Living In" was included as a previously unreleased track. For the UK market, "Inside" was included as the representative track from Benefit, and "Teacher" was the previously unreleased track.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^'Teacher' was not unreleased in the UK, it was the B side of 'The Witch's Promise'. The version on the UK single was different to the LITP album, however. The UK single version was only on that 20th Anniversary box for many years, although it was on Steven Wilson's Benefit remix, I think. IMHO that UK single version sounds unfinished, but an interesting curio.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^'Teacher' was not unreleased in the UK
    The version in question was. And the song itself was previously unreleased on album in the UK, like the other single tracks included.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The remixed albums with even more new gems increase the gap on Tull and the second best ever band

OK, a very underrated tune in the Ian Can(n)on: "Lost in Crowds" from Rupi's Dance. Shit, its really really nice even if its his 2003 voice....beautiful tune with a fantastic arrangement. Also been spinning "With you there to help me" a gazillion times....love it.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson