Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Tull Binge

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Pulling out Songs From the Wood and mourning the fact that I was too late to snare a copy of the Country Set box...
    You can get from Amazon Canada for around 42 American dollars shp included.
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...eluxe-edition/

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    You can get from Amazon Canada for around 42 American dollars shp included.
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...eluxe-edition/
    It's worth a shot - I ordered it. Shipping date is between mid-November and early January but hell, if it works it works. Thanks!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    IMO it is the worst sounding album of the 70's, but an amazing album nonetheless. The SW gives it more life, sparkle, and slightly beefed-up low end (bass guitar, lower end Hammond, and drums) but its still lacking imo.
    Yeah, I tried to buy it a year ago from Amazon but they never fulfilled the order. I'm not a big fan of S. Wilson's remix work, but he rarely makes a subpar-sounding album sound *worse* so I figured I had nothing to lose.

Too bad the album mastering got screwed up - perhaps that mobile studio had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It's worth a shot - I ordered it. Shipping date is between mid-November and early January but hell, if it works it works. Thanks!
    I wouldn't hold your breath. Amazon is notorious for allowing you to order limited-edition items that they've sold out of and obviously will never get more of, and nevertheless keeping the order warm for months on end before ultimately giving you the bad news.

But best of luck - I hope you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath. Amazon is notorious for allowing you to order limited-edition items that they've sold out of and obviously will never get more of, and nevertheless keeping the order warm for months on end before ultimately giving you the bad news.

But best of luck - I hope you get it.
    Yeah, I ain't holding my breath. If I get a shipping confirmation email in a month (when I've forgotten about it) I'll be happy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Yeah, I tried to buy it a year ago from Amazon but they never fulfilled the order. I'm not a big fan of S. Wilson's remix work, but he rarely makes a subpar-sounding album sound *worse* so I figured I had nothing to lose.
    Its the best of the three CD editions that I own (original, 2000-something remaster, SW)...if you dig the album its worth tracking down imo. The bonus 1975 show is also very cool.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Its the best of the three CD editions that I own (original, 2000-something remaster, SW)...if you dig the album its worth tracking down imo. The bonus 1975 show is also very cool.
    The 1975 show is the main reason why I wanted it.

It's selling for over $200 now, so I'm out.

I guess I could always buy the single disc version and then just continue to Youtube the show.

But back to the main topic - I think I generally associate listening to Jethro Tull in fall and winter (for whatever reason) but nothing about this year's "fall" is exactly triggering autumnal vibes. Don't know about the weather where everyone else lives, but here in NYC it's been mostly muggy, 75-80 every day, lots of rain, and staying a humid 65-70 at night.

May have to wait a couple of more weeks until it starts to feel like Tull time.

Shit, we had snow on the ground this AM. It melted but damn, that's it for summer. One Brown Mouse is looking for a nice place to burrow into, provided my army of Mouse Police doesn't find him.

It's been cool and rainy here, with leaves beginning to change, but unfortunately the weather forecast for the next ten days or so shows significant temperature increase... I hate it. I wait patiently for summer to end, but it seems to last longer and longer every year. There's no way early-to-mid October should feel like 30 degrees (about 86 F.)

I want "jacket" weather: crisp fresh air, crunchy leaves, and the smell of fireplaces. That's yer Songs From The Wood/Heavy Horses weather!

Ahh well. It'll come.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's been cool and rainy here, with leaves beginning to change, but unfortunately the weather forecast for the next ten days or so shows significant temperature increase... I hate it. I wait patiently for summer to end, but it seems to last longer and longer every year. There's no way early-to-mid October should feel like 30 degrees (about 86 F.)

I want "jacket" weather: crisp fresh air, crunchy leaves, and the smell of fireplaces. That's yer Songs From The Wood/Heavy Horses weather!

Ahh well. It'll come.

Yeah... hopefully not the weekend before the first snowstorm, though.

It's weird how people equate albums to seasons, and I'm not talking about equating seasons one on one like listening to Vivaldi. However, I've always equated Living in the Past with fall/winter, even though only 2 songs (The Witch's Promise and Christmas Song) have a seasonal theme. Well, there's Going Up the Pool, which is summer-themed but I listen to it in the Fall. And I guess Wond'ring Again is a bit seasonal at the end. Oh well, no sense in overthinking this. It's an autumn album, damn it!
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    It's weird how people equate albums to seasons
    I think the cover art/photos has a lot to do with it. At least in some cases.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I think the cover art/photos has a lot to do with it. At least in some cases.
    In the case of Songs From The Wood, the lyrics are obviously inspired by Irish and Scottish pagan customs and mythology. Cup Of Wonder, Jack In The Green, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I can find stuff to like on ANY tull album, even catfish and rock island.
    I'll try these again, thx.

Living In The Past is my "fall weather" album. At some point in my youth, it was one of the first experiences of 'sitting around listening to an album,' and come to think about it, maybe my first cigarette too. Never gave up on listening to albums, but the cigs are long gone
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Fall. Living In The Past. I bought the 8-track. Boy, was that Mother Expensive! Mowed lawns all summer and the money was burning a hole in my pocket. I still have the 8- track

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Living In The Past is my "fall weather" album. At some point in my youth, it was one of the first experiences of 'sitting around listening to an album,' and come to think about it, maybe my first cigarette too. Never gave up on listening to albums, but the cigs are long gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Fall. Living In The Past. I bought the 8-track. Boy, was that Mother Expensive! Mowed lawns all summer and the money was burning a hole in my pocket. I still have the 8- track
    Right on fellas. Living/Past is one the best Tull albums, compilation or not.

Sometimes I equate an album with the season that it was released or I bought it in. For instance I bought Santana’s Welcome album when it was released in the winter and of course the white cover helps also for me to think of it as a winter album even though o don’t believe any of the lyrics pertain to the winter time.

Don’t want to take the thread away from Tull though. I can listen to Tull at any time of the year. Love Jethro to death. Thanks for making me want to listen to Minstrel tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when I first discovered Tull with Aqualung i was on my way to a 4 week mountaineering holiday in the alps. I played it a LOT during that trip. Somehow for me the album will always be connected with images of wild Alpine scenery. This is a good thing.

Right on fellas. Living/Past is one the best Tull albums, compilation or not.
    It is a great collection and would have been invaluable at the time because almost all of the studio tracks had never been on an album before, some also receiving first-time stereo mixes.

A pity that the full version only came out on CD on the MFSL label. Here's a thought...why not put a new set out with all the studio tracks on one disc and the (now out of print) Carnegie Hall show on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I remember when I first discovered Tull with Aqualung i was on my way to a 4 week mountaineering holiday in the alps. I played it a LOT during that trip. Somehow for me the album will always be connected with images of wild Alpine scenery. This is a good thing.
    Nice! I'll bet that was special.

How did you listen to it while you were up there?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It is a great collection and would have been invaluable at the time because almost all of the studio tracks had never been on an album before, some also receiving first-time stereo mixes.

A pity that the full version only came out on CD on the MFSL label. Here's a thought...why not put a new set out with all the studio tracks on one disc and the (now out of print) Carnegie Hall show on the other.
    Oh, i don't mind this, at least the fourth side is complete!

Consumer Note: Two tracks, "Bouree" and "Teacher" available on the original "Living In The Past" album, are not available on this CD due to time restrictions.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

It seems that a bunch of the LITP tunes are on the second disc of the SW 2011 Aqualung re-mix/master.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Nice! I'll bet that was special.

How did you listen to it while you were up there?
    It was the area of the good old walkman.

It seems that a bunch of the LITP tunes are on the second disc of the SW 2011 Aqualung re-mix/master.
    The 'new' ones were. 'Life's A Long Song' etc.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Oh, i don't mind this, at least the fourth side is complete!

Consumer Note: Two tracks, "Bouree" and "Teacher" available on the original "Living In The Past" album, are not available on this CD due to time restrictions.
    'Teacher' was a particularly egregrious omission because that was a single (albeit, the original single version is very different and inferior, IMHO). I'd have elbowed 'Locomotive Breath' instead, easily available on any version of Aqualung.