Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Kansas POKR Tour (SPOILERS)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agreed, the expanded edition is awesome. One of the great live albums of all time IMO and according to the band it is all actually live with no overdubbing.
    I've always said that too, Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    ...I would really love to see this band do a tour where the whole show is nothing but tunes from the 1st three albums, Kansas, SFA and Masque while they are hitting on all cylinders. I think a tour like that could be huge for the Kansas diehards.
    Sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it either. It almost makes me wonder whether Livgren had some kind of deal upon leaving that the band couldn't do that track, but even in the few reunion shows he does from time to time they don't do it.
    I could have sworn that at an outdoor Ribfest of all places the last time I saw Kansas with Robby they played The Pinnacle or a much bigger chunk of it upon the conclusion of M&M, but maybe I had been imbibing too much.
    I actually have a similar memory of a truncated version of it at some point, but don't know if I am remembering that correctly or not.

Yes, they did the last two or so minutes of it at the end of POKR-

Maybe that is what I am thinking of. That is the "Device Voice Drum" DVD which I own.

Kansas are releasing a 2-CD Live set from this tour! I am excited about this one - I enjoyed the heck out of this show.

The new album features 22 songs selected from 12 shows recorded in 2019 and 2020 during Kansas’ Point of Know Return Anniversary Tour.

CD1
    1. Cold Grey Morning
    2. Two Cents Worth
    3. The Wall
    4. Song for America
    5. Summer
    6. Musicatto
    7. Taking in the View
    8. Miracles Out of Nowhere

CD2
    1. Point of Know Return
    2. Paradox
    3. The Spider
    4. Portrait (He Knew)
    5. Closet Chronicles
    6. Lightning’s Hand
    7. Dust in the Wind
    8. Sparks of the Tempest
    9. Nobody’s Home
    10. Hopelessly Human
    11. Carry On Wayward Son
    12. People of the South Wind
    13.Refugee
    14. Lonely Wind
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 03-20-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Nice setlist. Wish I was able to see this. I saw a show on this tour, but they didn't do the whole PoKR, for some reason. And the show was relatively short. Great show, but disappointing, nonetheless.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Complaints about the cover art in 3, 2, 1...

Kansas is a great band but the last time I saw them, shortly before the Covid thing, they only played 1 hour and 20 minutes (No support act). Despite playing an awesome set we came away quite disappointed. I mean c'mon! If they don't want to play longer sets at least team up with another act as support or tour with another name brand as a double bill.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Kansas is a great band but the last time I saw them, shortly before the Covid thing, they only played 1 hour and 20 minutes (No support act). Despite playing an awesome set we came away quite disappointed. I mean c'mon! If they don't want to play longer sets at least team up with another act as support or tour with another name brand as a double bill.
    I had the exact same experience the last time I saw them in Grand Rapids Michigan. They played at Devos Hall which is a big 2500 seat theater that mostly does Broadway shows. Although Kansas were in the middle of the 2 hour plus Leftoverture tour, apparently the show I was at was not one of those. The show started at 7:30PM with no opening act. They played right around 1 hour 20 minutes and the whole thing was over before 9:00PM. Their set was great, but it was really really strange short night. I remember walking out of the hall, and it was still daylight out, and we are going like “so what do we do now?”. It was just really odd and as much as I love Kansas I was kind of disappointed with the overall thing as I was expecting the full Leftoverture show.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I had the exact same experience the last time I saw them in Grand Rapids Michigan. They played at Devos Hall which is a big 2500 seat theater that mostly does Broadway shows. Although Kansas were in the middle of the 2 hour plus Leftoverture tour, apparently the show I was at was not one of those. The show started at 7:30PM with no opening act. They played right around 1 hour 20 minutes and the whole thing was over before 9:00PM. Their set was great, but it was really really strange short night. I remember walking out of the hall, and it was still daylight out, and we are going like “so what do we do now?”. It was just really odd and as much as I love Kansas I was kind of disappointed with the overall thing as I was expecting the full Leftoverture show.
    My exact experience.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Meanwhile I saw this tour twice and each time the show was about 2.5 hours. Sorry you all got the "hits" set instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Complaints about the cover art in 3, 2, 1...
    I’m not buying this because the cover art sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Meanwhile I saw this tour twice and each time the show was about 2.5 hours. Sorry you all got the "hits" set instead.
    Same here. I don't understand why sometimes their shows are so much shorter. Before the pandemic, Kansas had booked a tour with Foreigner and Europe and I would expect that sort of shorter length show in those settings.

As an aside, I saw Tom Brislin was promoting this release today. I saw this tour in November 2018 when David Manion was still on keys. The press release indicated that the 12 shows that they pulled the tracks from for this release were from 2019 and 2020. I actually didn't realize that this POKR tour had lasted that long. And I assume that these tracks may be from once Brislin joined the band.

It seems to me (IMHO) that this is a band that is out of touch with their fans. I like Kansas and I love Tom Brislin so maybe there will be some sense talked into them.

Your show must have been the exception. I've seen them twice since Walsh left the band and both shows were 2 hour 20 minute shows. It was Walsh that was keeping the shows short because he just couldn't physically handle longer shows. I don't blame you for being disappointed but maybe next time they tour you'll get to see a longer show.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    It seems to me (IMHO) that this is a band that is out of touch with their fans. I like Kansas and I love Tom Brislin so maybe there will be some sense talked into them.
    How do you think they are out of touch?

How do you think they are out of touch?
    All of their phone numbers are unlisted.

Because I follow the bands that I go to see, and I know what they played last night, last week. Most bands at least that I follow, play mainly the same set list every night, even though they may have something special thrown in as a treat for their fans. A set that is one hour shorter than another show, on the tour does not seem to me to have the same satisfaction level, at least in my opinion.

Could that be more a case of the fan being out of touch as to what show they are going to get? The Leftoverture and POKR shows were labeled as such. They did do a summer leg where they played a shorter set, I'm guessing that's what you saw.

Yes, that's probably it, sorry.

I'm sorry you didn't get to see the show you really wanted.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Count me in as another who got the "hits" set. Yeah, it was disappointing (though somehow I knew that's what we were getting - I can't remember how I knew), and in fact kind of boring for me. When I saw it, it was before Brislin had joined.

I will buy this, despite the fact that the sea serpent looks anatomically incorrect.

Thanks God, there's no Jeff Glixman producing and mixing this time. Finest decision. He destroyed the last live album modulating the vocals digitally in artificial and synthetic way (autotune or melodyne) and other odd choices. Wth he was thinking to spoil Ronnie voice in this way? Ronnie don't need this kind of thing, the dude always nails live performances, you can see on Youtube and bootlegs.

Kudos to Chad Singer, the video teaser sounds terrific. Further proof that bands don't need a renowned producer to do something "magic" to your material. How many great professional and skilled people we have on the audio engineering today?

Cheers