Thread: IQ Ever remix

IQ Ever remix

Anyone hear this yet? A favorite of mine but the Dynamic Range Database score of the original, as well as the sound is so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Anyone hear this yet? A favorite of mine but the Dynamic Range Database score of the original, as well as the sound is so good.
    Haven't heard it yet but ... the sound of the original hasn't aged that well ... it is quite bright especially noticeable in the way the drums are mixed. I have a sneaking suspicion that Mike Holmes as fixed that purely based on how great he made Tales Of The Lush Attic sound in its remix.

Very much looking forward to hearing this one.

Have not done an A B comparison but this new mix sounds extremely different from the original from my recollection of the original. Almost like listening to a new recording of it. Not sure if that’s good or not but it’s quite different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Have not done an A B comparison but this new mix sounds extremely different from the original from my recollection of the original. Almost like listening to a new recording of it. Not sure if that’s good or not but it’s quite different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have only listened to the 5.1 mix. The notes state that much of the keyboards were not on the multitracks because they were triggered by midi and recorded straight to the master during mixdown. They were reconstructed by Neil Durant who used many of the same keyboards or modules.

If that was the only way to get a surround mix I'll take it. Only had one listen and I didn't notice anything that was jarringly different but I can definitely tell when the sounds are not quite the same.

sam

Quote Originally Posted by samskeyti View Post
    I have only listened to the 5.1 mix. The notes state that much of the keyboards were not on the multitracks because they were triggered by midi and recorded straight to the master during mixdown. They were reconstructed by Neil Durant who used many of the same keyboards or modules.

If that was the only way to get a surround mix I'll take it. Only had one listen and I didn't notice anything that was jarringly different but I can definitely tell when the sounds are not quite the same.

sam
    Is that only on the 5.1 mix? I haven't played Ever for what seems like forever. It just really sounded different from what I remembered it sounding. Maybe my ears have changed.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Will be picking this up at the Montreal show on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Will be picking this up at the Montreal show on Thursday.
    Not if I get Your Copy Wednesday in Quebec!

Flying into Newark tomorrow then driving to the two Canadian shows before Progstock! Gonna be an IQ WEEK!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Rob Aubrey (Big Big Train) made a significant improvement to the sonics of Ever.
    http://theprogmeister.com/iq-2018-re...rsary-edition/
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

When does this release? Ever is my favorite IQ album and I gotta hear this!

One listen through on this one and I'm somewhat feeling mixed. Hard to call it a remix when most of the keyboard work has been redone. It's very good but also very different and the keyboards are a large part of that reason. Drums are pushed back in the mix a bit (not sounding as up front as they were). I guess my biggest issue would be the lack of a flat transfer of the original on the dvd. The Jethro tull remixes have spoiled us in that way, and as it stands I will be keeping my original CD as well this new one. they are just different enough to require that.

"The baggage that I carry would sink a thousand ships
    My motives are uncertain, intentions not altogether pure
    So now don't you want me beside you just like it was before? "

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    One listen through on this one and I'm somewhat feeling mixed. Hard to call it a remix when most of the keyboard work has been redone. It's very good but also very different and the keyboards are a large part of that reason. Drums are pushed back in the mix a bit (not sounding as up front as they were). I guess my biggest issue would be the lack of a flat transfer of the original on the dvd. The Jethro tull remixes have spoiled us in that way, and as it stands I will be keeping my original CD as well this new one. they are just different enough to require that.
    Wait -- the keyboards were redone? As in, re-recorded?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Good thing that the drums have been turned down in the mix. They were way too loud before.

Has the glossy production been fixed? That was my big problem with it before.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Yeah, a lot of them. An issue with keyboards not on the multi tapes. So it was best guess the recording them. Some work well ,some are just different.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Yeah, a lot of them. An issue with keyboards not on the multi tapes. So it was best guess the recording them. Some work well ,some are just different.
    I didn't know this before I listen to it and didn't notice any difference in the keyboards. The drums did seem down in the mix which I guess to some is a good thing. I thought it took away from the impact in a few places.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I didn't know this before I listen to it and didn't notice any difference in the keyboards. The drums did seem down in the mix which I guess to some is a good thing. I thought it took away from the impact in a few places.
    100% correlation wrt my impression of listening to the drums on Ever on YouTube, perhaps the first time I heard that record.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

I've listened several times now, and I quite like it, although time will tell if I end up preferring it to the original. I especially like the surround mix on the DVD. But the real star of the show IMO is the live 2018 version of the album, which is maybe the best 'version' I've ever heard. It's a great performance and sounds excellent in both stereo and surround.

I've now moved on to the extensive extras on the DVD (Complete album demos, instrumental studio outtakes, unused ideas, and rehearsals. Phew! It's interesting to follow along but there's a lot to digest here - it's not for the casual fan!) Extensive liner notes in the booklet as always.

My only complaint is there's no "Play all" feature for the demos. You have to choose each song when the last one finishes.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

I have now listened to this new edition of Ever , completely. There is alot to listen to , the stereo remix & the surround mix , as well as the live show which was also remixed in both stereo & surround. I also found the demos , outtakes and what they refer to as “unused ideas” to be well worth the listen.

First impression is that they gave us more than our money’s worth , the remix sounds great and I am always up for a surround sound mix of an album that I love . The surround mix is in Dolby 5.1 only but sounds great to my ears , to be honest I can’t really tell the difference between advanced resolution surround , DTS or Dolby so I am very satisfied with both the studio Ever and the live performance in 5.1.

All of this said I am a little confused about what they did with the keyboards, did they completely redo everything? I know from the liner notes that because they lost some or all of the keyboards & synths from the master that their present keyboard player had to recreate much or all of Martin Orford’s parts , I just am not sure if he replaced some or all of Orford’s work . That would be a little disappointing but if they lost the keyboards from the original I guess they had no choice.

Bottom line for me is that it all sounds great , Ever really is one of the high points for IQ , and this reissue is a quality release.

Sold out at Progstock so I was about to order this on Amazon Canada but at checkout it said estimated delivery date for Nov. 30 - Dec. 2 ??!! It is not shipped from Amazon but through an intermediate vendor but an estimated regular delivery (non-Prime) but does not justify a 4 week estimated delivery! Might as well buy from IQHQ or Freezone Montreal who I can get it from sooner than Amazon.ca for sure.

Got mine from Greg Walker. Haven't had a chance to play it...but I got it!

Since I missed out on the few copies that were around at ProgStock, I ordered mine from the IQ site (along with a tour T shirt which I also had no chance to get) and got both relatively quickly from across the pond (yep, no mail delivery issues ). It was great to hear all those Ever songs live at ProgStock, and cross off a true bucket list item in seeing IQ live finally. I've also been loving going back and watching my Forever Live DVD of that original tour, a kick ass show.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-29-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    All of this said I am a little confused about what they did with the keyboards, did they completely redo everything? I know from the liner notes that because they lost some or all of the keyboards & synths from the master that their present keyboard player had to recreate much or all of Martin Orford’s parts , I just am not sure if he replaced some or all of Orford’s work . That would be a little disappointing but if they lost the keyboards from the original I guess they had no choice.
    On the original except for the Mellotron most, if not all, keyboard parts were played using digital keyboards and synths and from what I understand all of the keyboard parts were recorded using MIDI and then finally 'printed' in stereo on the mastertape. So for Michael Holmes to be able to create a real 5.1 mix they had to redo the keyboards parts as multitracks and that entailed actually re-recording them. Now the small mystery now is wether they actually also used those re-recorded parts for the new stereo-mix. My guess, based on just one cursory listen, is that they also used the new recorded parts for the new stereo mix.
    I am not really bothered with that much because I think the end result stay very very true to the original albeit providing much greater clarity and a more dynamic sound. I will never ditch my original Ever because it is such a snapshot of that particular time but I reckon that the remix will be the one I will go for everytime I want to play this album.

ChrisXymphonia , Thank you!