Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Steven Wilson interview

New Steven Wilson interview

From Romanian television - an interesting in-depth conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwta...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for the link. Gonna watch this at home.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Not bad. You have to skip to the very end but he gives one of the longer answers to "Will Porcupine Tree return?" that I've heard.

I wouldn't have pegged his favorite album of all time as Zeit, but it sort of fits.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Not bad. You have to skip to the very end but he gives one of the longer answers to "Will Porcupine Tree return?" that I've heard.

I wouldn't have pegged his favorite album of all time as Zeit, but it sort of fits.
    He told Classic Prog this at least 11 years ago. And his buddy Akerfeldt''s favorite record is the White Album

3 minutes and I couldn't take anymore..
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

That was an excellent interview, thanks for posting! Rather an odd interviewer but I have to give him credit for getting probably the best interview I've ever seen from SW.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

So, To the Bone sold 250,000...thats awesome in this climate

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That was an excellent interview, thanks for posting! Rather an odd interviewer but I have to give him credit for getting probably the best interview I've ever seen from SW.
    Yep. It is interesting that it wasn't too long ago he said he might eventually play with Porcupine Tree again, but I've thought his answer has been obvious for a long time. He has always written the songs.

Pink Floyd is Pop I think Steven lost me here...

Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    Yeah, I don't agree with him on that one either, but I think he was just trying to emphasize a point. And he's right that those albums did have "file under popular" labels.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    So, To the Bone sold 250,000...thats awesome in this climate

Yeah but how much did Justin Bieber sell?

I agree with him that the band has had a presence in the pop charts from "See Emily Play" right up through "Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2". But I don't think that's where their enduring legacy will lay.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This is one of SW's best interviews - thanks for posting.

The Porcupine Tree resurrection idea is dead for good...

The Porcupine Tree resurrection idea is dead for good...
    That's too bad he doesn't want to play with the Professor again

I think I kind of get what he is saying about Pink Floyd being pop. Back in the 70s (pre 'prog') and they were known as progressive. But you listen to 'prog' now, and Pink Floyd bear no resemblance to it. That could also be said of a multitude of 60s/70s band who were classified as progressive back then.

Yeah, great interview. I'm not at all surprised about his PTree comments. He was Porcupine Tree, for all intents and purposes, even with the other guys putting their own stamp on it. I wonder how PTree fans would have reacted had the next PTree album been Grace For Drowning? For me personally, his solo stuff has never veered very far from PTree anyway.

As to Pink Floyd, they were most certainly hugely popular, so in the literal sense they were and are "pop". Of course, if we're talking about 3 minute little ditties with a catchy chorus, they were never that. I'm not sure any band has ever been more "popular" though, certainly in terms of records sales.

Porcupine Tree = Steven Wilson + some extra musicians.
    Steven Wilson (solo) = Steven Wilson + some extra (better) musicians.
    The difference is only for PT fans. Most of his "solo" work is better and more varied than PT.
    Listening to S.W latest record he's back where he was when he left PT, To The Bone could acually have been a PT record and is also his weakest solo effort.
    I'm afraid he's going full circle now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Porcupine Tree = Steven Wilson + some extra musicians.
    Steven Wilson (solo) = Steven Wilson + some extra (better) musicians.
    The difference is only for PT fans. Most of his "solo" work is better and more varied than PT.
    Listening to S.W latest record he's back where he was when he left PT, To The Bone could acually have been a PT record and is also his weakest solo effort.
    I'm afraid he's going full circle now...
    Look, I love Marco but he ain't Gavin. And Blundell sure ain't Marco. Beggs is probably better than Edwin . And Holtzman and Barbieri are pretty similar. And that new guy sure ain't Wesley. So, just Beggsy would the only really upgrade in his solo band!!

Guthrie is a badass but that didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Look, I love Marco but he ain't Gavin. And Blundell sure ain't Marco. Beggs is probably better than Edwin . And Holtzman and Barbieri are pretty similar. And that new guy sure ain't Wesley. So, just Beggsy would the only really upgrade in his solo band!!

Saying Musician A ain't musician B ain't musician C who is better than musician D etc... is opening an endless debate. I shouldn't have used this word though I'm also thinking that Gavin Harrison would have been a better fit for SW's solo band being a more subtle, versatile and accomplished drummer. Better drummer ? I don't know, but a better fit for the band and music, definitely yes (IMO).
    Adam Holzman and Richard Barbieri "pretty similar" ? I think most will disagree. Apples and oranges, really. It's like stating that Brian Eno and Jordan Rudess are "similar" keyboard players. Not even close.

Re the interview: my hat down to the interviewer for his intelligent questions and the clever relaxed way he leaded the talk. Excellent replies and feedback from SW too. One of his best inteviews for sure.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 09-28-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Most of his "solo" work is better and more varied than PT.
    See, this is where some (including me) might have a differing view. The reason he keeps getting asked about PT is because they produced some amazing frigging music, even if it was just Steven Wilson and his backing band. The fact remains that while his solo output has been varied, memorable and pretty consistently good (IMO), a great deal of the music he produced while in PT is timeless.

All in MHO, of course.

See, this is where some (including me) might have a differing view. The reason he keeps getting asked about PT is because they produced some amazing frigging music, even if it was just Steven Wilson and his backing band. The fact remains that while his solo output has been varied, memorable and pretty consistently good (IMO), a great deal of the music he produced while in PT is timeless.

All in MHO, of course.
    I agree with YHO.

All in MHO, of course.
    Again, I used the word "better" a little bit too lightly but I'll keep "more varied"

I consider all this as SW's music and universe after all and I don't like to split/oppose PT and his solo work, rather consider it as a whole. I never had a "band fan" attitude and my preferred SW selection would consist of (3) Porcupine Tree records, (2) SW Solo records (1) No-Man and (1) early electronic/ambiant solo work. (Voyage 34).

And BTW, I have all PT and SW records in my collection but his latest (To The Bone).
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 09-28-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Holtzman has some fantastic moments but Open Car with Richard trumps everything