Thread: AAJ Review: Richard Thompson, Electric

AAJ Review: Richard Thompson, Electric

My review of Richard Thompson's just-released Electric, today at All About Jazz.

The legendary British singer/songwriter has managed a career few have; while some records are, indeed, better than others, he's never released what could be considered a bad record. In fact, his weakest records are still stronger than some folks' best.

Electric is one of the great ones: terrific songs, great playing (with a greater emphasis on his marvelously idiosyncratic electric guitar work than on his equally fine acoustic playing, though he doesn't completely desert his unplugged instrument), and produced by Buddy Miller, who brings a kind of thickness not unlike his work with Robert Plant on 2010's Band of Joy.

Following a particularly strong record like Dream Attic, Thompson's last release, is a tough challenge, but he's managed to do it, with an album that's just as good, but different, with a smaller core trio driving most of the music.

Review here.

Great review!

Thanks, as ever, ZW

Dream Attic didn't do much for me. The band sounds great, but the songs don't really grab me. Maybe I have too many RT albums?