Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survivor: David vs. Goliath - Season 37

Survivor: David vs. Goliath - Season 37

Tomorrow night is opening night. Survivors READY!...

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Why would I stop watching now?

Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'm in. Since we are on the subject of survivor.........

I work in a huge production plant. Lately I have sometimes seen this kid (probably in his early 20's) in my locker room and sometimes he has had a survivor buff on his head. So the other day I saw him again, and asked if he was a survivor fan. To make a long story short, this kid has been trying to get cast on Survivor for several years and has apparently made it to the semi-finals for the season that will begin in fall of 2019. If he makes the next round he will have to go to L.A. for a screen test / audition kind of thing. He said he was supposed to be hearing something in October. Apparently the fall and spring seasons for this year have already been filmed and are in the can.

I'm in!!!

SteveSly, that's pretty cool! Keep us updated regarding your co-worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Why would I stop watching now?

You wouldn't!

SteveSly, that's very cool. Wish him luck from this long-time fan!

Gruno, of course you are!

I felt bad for Pat. He started off way too strong, but I think his New Yorker personality was started to grow on his tribemates. As a fellow Giants fan and transplanted New Yorker, I was rooting for him.

I'm interested to see how far John Morrison, the wrestler, and Mike White, the Hollywood "star" go.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I don't think they got the right name for this season, given the tribe characteristics

I don't think they got the right name for this season, given the tribe characteristics
    I was thinking the same thing. They are definately stretching the David and Goliath metaphor. More like the Down-and-outs vs. the Silver spoons. But they'll be mixing the tribes up in three weeks so it's really irrelevant.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I felt bad for Pat. He started off way too strong, but I think his New Yorker personality was started to grow on his tribemates. As a fellow Giants fan and transplanted New Yorker, I was rooting for him.

I'm interested to see how far John Morrison, the wrestler, and Mike White, the Hollywood "star" go.
    Agreed on all counts (Giant fan too) and I was actually kind of annoyed he acted so stereotypically obnoxious right from the start. I mean textbook on what not to do on the first day kind of stuff.

Yet it seemed like he turned things around through sheer force of shelter construction and will, and some charm as well, since everyone by the end (due to edit perhaps ?) seemed to think they misjudged Pat....anyways massive bad luck for him but just one of those things I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. They are definately stretching the David and Goliath metaphor. More like the Down-and-outs vs. the Silver spoons. But they'll be mixing the tribes up in three weeks so it's really irrelevant.
    No doubt the metaphor thing is already getting stretched by Survivor to near breaking. I suppose after all these decades coming up with new twists might be a "challenge".

I got the feeling that the David and Goliath tribe theme was a real surprise to the players. I think there were quite a few on the Goliath team that really feel anything but Goliath, but like many things in real life or otherwise, I expect the players to live up to the label once it is ordained.

But you and I both know these original tribes will never be as irrelevant as one might think, most players will be loyal to their original tribes, no matter how arbitrary - or in this case the pre-determined metaphor match - the tribes actually are.

Without even looking ahead to the next season, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I could use another all star version, now that we've had a few seasons to add some new faces. I would prefer to see a real mix of seasons old, medium and new but not expecting something so good anytime soon...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Yeah...I suppose David V Goliath sells better than the no spoons vs the silver spoons. Would be interesting if they could get actual rich people who are mainly in it for the experience vs people who are very downtrodden who are mainly in it because they need the money.

And fair. though neonknight's point above is a good one. I'm always amazed on these erroneous tribe designations stick with most people. (A bit less erroneous this year and other years with a similar gimmick, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Agreed on all counts (Giant fan too) and I was actually kind of annoyed he acted so stereotypically obnoxious right from the start. I mean textbook on what not to do on the first day kind of stuff.

Yet it seemed like he turned things around through sheer force of shelter construction and will, and some charm as well, since everyone by the end (due to edit perhaps ?) seemed to think they misjudged Pat....anyways massive bad luck for him but just one of those things I guess.

No doubt the metaphor thing is already getting stretched by Survivor to near breaking. I suppose after all these decades coming up with new twists might be a "challenge".

I got the feeling that the David and Goliath tribe theme was a real surprise to the players. I think there were quite a few on the Goliath team that really feel anything but Goliath, but like many things in real life or otherwise, I expect the players to live up to the label once it is ordained.

But you and I both know these original tribes will never be as irrelevant as one might think, most players will be loyal to their original tribes, no matter how arbitrary - or in this case the pre-determined metaphor match - the tribes actually are.

Without even looking ahead to the next season, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I could use another all star version, now that we've had a few seasons to add some new faces. I would prefer to see a real mix of seasons old, medium and new but not expecting something so good anytime soon...
    I think it would be cool for the 40th season to do an all-star event with one tribe being the first 10 seasons, the second tribe being the second 10 seasons, and the final tribe being the most recent 10 seasons.

I've also always wanted an all winners edition and an all voted out first edition.

I think it would be cool for the 40th season to do an all-star event with one tribe being the first 10 seasons, the second tribe being the second 10 seasons, and the final tribe being the most recent 10 seasons.

I've also always wanted an all winners edition and an all voted out first edition.
    Great points.

That last idea is truly golden. Ratings would be too.

Jeff Probst recently said in an interview that there have been regular talks about an all winners season, but it's not going to happen because in Probst's opinion there aren't enough winners who are both good TV and interested in playing one more time. However, a season of ten winners vs. ten players who almost won (or something like that) might be possible.

We probably shouldn't worry so much about the David vs. Goliath distinction. They are probably going to have some sort of tribe shakeup within the next two or three episodes, like they always do.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Jeff Probst recently said in an interview that there have been regular talks about an all winners season, but it's not going to happen because in Probst's opinion there aren't enough winners who are both good TV and interested in playing one more time. However, a season of ten winners vs. ten players who almost won (or something like that) might be possible.
    I'm not really concerned with who is "good tv"...I think it'll be compelling either way. but yeah...I imagine it would be difficult to get people do to it again if they already won. Pretty big risk really.

I'd be game for your idea here. An all runners up version could be fun too.

Too bad they got rid of the fan favorite vote, since Sprint pulled sponsorship (and 100k), because having the fan favorites vs each other might be fun.

I was talking to the kid I mentioned earlier in this thread who is trying to get on the show next year. Not sure if he knows what he is talking about, but he says that they set the cast first and then decide what the theme is going to be or how they are going to be divided.

A little surprised to see the Goliath blindside last week. Not surprised at all they semi-blindsided Natalie this week.

Her lack of self awareness was nearly shocking given her obvious level of intelligence. Got the feeling she was fully aware of how obnoxious her act was, but she was arrogant enough to think she could turn on the charm when she really needed it and convince the rest another target was best since her own was so large and easy.

She is too smart to think this sort of strategy could really work, but maybe she outsmarted herself.

Digging Christian and his little girlfriend so much, really pulling for them. I was thrilled last week, when she led her team to a sure elimination saving victory and also loved Christian saving the day for her this week. Cool how the 2 Goliaths have bro-ed their man which should help him down the road. Although his target grows with every challenge performance and his social game is now growing into uncharted territories... he is one funny dude too

His new Goliath bro is easily the new favorite with 2 unknown advantages in his pocket already. I really want to see if he can keep the idols secret unlike nearly 99.9% of previous players...

My husband and I were saying the exact same thing about Christian last night. We both really like him. In week one we thought he would be super-annoying, but he's really grown on us. He's quirky, but really likable and obviously very smart. I hope he goes far.

I'd like to see what Natalie is like in her real life. She was so bossy, and a bit of a bully. And yet, in last night's TC I think she showed a good sense of humour, and a bit of a fun side in her banter with Jeff. She might have gone further if she had shown more of that to the tribe instead of trying to be the boss-lady all the time. I think the rest of the Goliaths will understand why whats-his-name turned on her.

It was classic when Angelina asked Natalie for her jacket as Natalie was walking out the door. And asked. And asked. And asked. It seems that many of those Golaiths are totally clueless. My money is on a David to win this season.

Natalie's exit interview with Entertainment Weekly (https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/25/survivo...id-vs-goliath/) is an interesting read.

She claims, not surprisingly, that she got a bad edit. She said that some of the segments where she seemed really bossy were taken out of context.

For example, when it looked like she was bossing her tribemates into making a fire, the truth was that they asked her how to make a fire, since she was the only one to make a fire at that point. She was just instructing them, not bossing them around.

Another one was where she demanded they make all the eggs. She said that she wanted to make them all because there was no way of knowing what the weather would be and that if it rains, there would be no fire and no way to cook the eggs.

Still, I'm glad she's gone.

I'm sorry to see John go, but that was a pretty epic TC...the Goliaths underestimating the Davids. Smart move on the Davids' part to split the vote.

Mike just put a big target on his back and the Davids might have the arrow to take him out.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 11-15-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Agree that was a good one.

It would have been even better if the one voted out what the guy who saved Angelina with the idol.

Sorry to see John go, but kudos to the Davids to realize he was a big threat. Nobody disliked him and he would likely have been an immunity threat down the road.

I'm sure there will be an idol scramble next episode.

Yeah that TC was great drama, amazing how so much is just done openly now, seems to me most players held their "cards" closer to the vest back in the day.

LOL, and then Angelina with another classic line, "Did you play my name?".....

Her target is so large now she should likely be kept around for another round or two, while Mike as mentioned is now on the Six shitlist.

"Christian is probably everyone's favorite player for those watching at home." Naturally a TV guy should say that, but that was the first time I think I've seen a player use that kind of Nielson eyeball perspective, which I liked.

Too bad he likely dug his own grave by speaking such obvious truth.

So awesome to see Davy play the idol for Christian. Also great move by the producers not letting us know the Davids clearly anticipated a Goliath idol with their insurance play on John. Awesome job.