Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supertramp Reunion

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Saw them multiple times, twice with RH. Second time was the August 1983 show at Madison Square Garden. RH was there lol, and did ‘announce’ that he was leaving the band. I think my favorite show was actually the Brother tour - before they were employing guest singers to do bad impressions of RH. Always liked the harder edge, bluesy quality to RD stuff.
    I suspect it's a minority view, but I too prefer RD's approach to Supertramp. For me, it's really significant that his health improved (good news for him and his music). I would really enjoy seeing a RD's fronted Supertramp tour again. I saw RH and RD Supertramp two times.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    I think my favorite show was actually the Brother tour - before they were employing guest singers to do bad impressions of RH. Always liked the harder edge, bluesy quality to RD stuff.
    I suspect it's a minority view, but I too prefer RD's approach to Supertramp.
    TBH, I had no preference before the Brother album, for I thought that Roger wrote more of the proggier Supertramp stuff, but he also wrote most of the whinnier stuff with wanker melodies - though both had appaling songs in FLW (It's Raining Again and My Kind Of Lady)

Brother however tipped the scale heavily (and more or less permanently) in Rick's favour, even though Eye Of The Storm was OK.
    In either case, both stopped writing good songs at +/- the same time (83), and the odd good tune written since from either are all too rare and not coming to waist height of their common-era stuff.

- RD: Awful Thing To Waste, Hard World, C'est What, Tenth Avenue Breakdown, Dead Man's Blues
    - RH: Time Waits For No-One, Open The Door, Death and a Zoo, Along Came Mary
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well that is interesting. Great to see Rick is in good enough health tp perform. Might he resurrect his version of the Tramp??? We can only hope.

btw... BREAKFAST IN AMERICA was released 40 years ago today.
    supertramp-breakfastinamerica-front.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Well that is interesting. Great to see Rick is in good enough health tp perform. Might he resurrect his version of the Tramp??? We can only hope.
    Yeah, that is great news! Even if no further Supertramp activity comes as a result, I’m glad he’s well enough to perform again. Surely that’s a positive sign.

They seem to be one of the few bands that didn't ever reconcile/reform. Shame. Wasn't it business/"the wife" that/who screwed it all up?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    This would be a good thread topic.

I showed up to see Missing Persons in 1986 and the sign on the box office said "No Show - Band Broke Up - Refunds @ Point of Purchase".

There's a few other shows where I either attended their last show, or the show was cancelled due to a breakup.
    I was about to get on the plane to see The Shaming Of The True in 2002 (?) and the airline I had tickets with went out of business. I just didn't go after that sadly.

quite a special night this weekend

Rick Davies playing a roadhouse type of gig for a hundred or so folks in the Hamptons. met folks from London, Montreal and Bornmouth (along with fucking Tucker fucking Carlson, a presumed 1percenter resident)

GE Smith on guitar (another resident as is Rick), parked right in front of the venue and Pure Prairie League's bass player (?)

roadhouse gig that it was, it was indeed R&B most of the night. doing what he's always loved the best I suppose. 4 Supertramp songs which were great, in particular Downstream and From Now On

got a spot right next to him, not 8 foot away. held the barrier open for him as he left (right for his car in the lot and drove away, Chuck Berry/Neil Peart style), got his setlist

very very glad I went. after 10 or so Roger Hodgson shows over the last couple of years, it was wonderful to see the "other half" asitwere play his piano and songs alongside his strong vocal

arms.jpg

leaving.jpg

setlist.jpg
    2trevorsforlife

^Excellent. Great to see he is able to play music again.

Did Tucker bring any frozen foods?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Did Tucker bring any frozen foods?

actually, he was talking through most of the show . . . truthfully as were
    alot of the crowd; it really was that informal and relaxed. he had an optimum center table seat too (reserved seats were dinner theater type table seating)

I was tempted to engage him. maybe a "funny to see you here, cool that you like the music. you politics are shit and you're a cnt" but didn't get too loaded and didn't want to be a dick lol

speculation that resident Roger Waters could have shows since GE was playing.
    2trevorsforlife

Multiple Myeloma is a very serious type of blood cancer and has a very low survival rate, thankfully Rick has been doing well but it is very unlikely he will ever tour extensively and much less with Roger Hodgson. They tried a Supertramp reunion back in '93 but Roger's conditions were not agreeable to have his wife as manager (a la Ozzy and Geoff tate) and equal authoring rights (a la Lennon McCartney).

But if RICKY and THE ROCKETS ever come to Montreal, I'll sure check 'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    quite a special night this weekend

Rick Davies playing a roadhouse type of gig for a hundred or so folks in the Hamptons. met folks from London, Montreal and Bornmouth (along with fucking Tucker fucking Carlson, a presumed 1percenter resident)

GE Smith on guitar (another resident as is Rick), parked right in front of the venue and Pure Prairie League's bass player (?)

roadhouse gig that it was, it was indeed R&B most of the night. doing what he's always loved the best I suppose. 4 Supertramp songs which were great, in particular Downstream and From Now On

got a spot right next to him, not 8 foot away. held the barrier open for him as he left (right for his car in the lot and drove away, Chuck Berry/Neil Peart style), got his setlist

very very glad I went. after 10 or so Roger Hodgson shows over the last couple of years, it was wonderful to see the "other half" asitwere play his piano and songs alongside his strong vocal

arms.jpg

leaving.jpg

setlist.jpg
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
    I'm a bit curious as to why Rick would choose a low key gig in the Hampton's of all places. Home of the powerful, rich and famous. What connection is there I wonder.
    I tend to favor the Roger Hodgson songs a bit more, but as strong a writer and performer Roger is, Supertramp is one of those groups where the two main writers/musicians create the greatest music when bouncing off of each other BECAUSE of their differences.

Life is too short, and their powerful combination together is sorely missed. I continue to hope that a short reunion will eventually take place and a DVD filmed. Even if they could set aside their differences for a moment, the huge amount of money generated could go towards people in need or some agreed upon charity.
    Oh well, one can dream.....
    Last edited by Top Cat; 06-04-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
    I'm a bit curious as to why Rick would choose a low key gig in the Hampton's of all places. Home of the powerful, rich and famous. What connection is there I wonder.

he lives there/has a home there as do GE Smith and Roger Waters. Rick's wife is now a real estate agent in the area

all fairly rich and fairly famous!

don't forget that the Hamptons has always been an artist enclave: we stayed at an AirBnB that was 3 doors down from the Pollack estate/museum and close to DeKooning's studio residence where his daughter still lives
    Last edited by helix; 06-04-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    2trevorsforlife

The thread title deserves two in the back of the head. I've spoken to him and Bob C Benberg agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    The thread title deserves two in the back of the head
    Had to ask, have you been binge watching a Sopranos marathon lately??
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

hahaha fair question! Actually it was Miller's Crossing. A 1990 Coen Brothers film. It is my favorite gangster movie.