Thread: Laminated vs unlaminated covers

Laminated vs unlaminated covers

I have recently bought or rebought a couple of vinyls mainly for the cover art. Among them the first two Greenslade (Warner UK)
    and two Yes / Yes related , Tales and ABHW ( German edition) I noticed that both German covers were laminated and I had a couple of other German records that were laminated. The laminated are more brillant and you wipe out light stains but at a certain point the lamination tends to get off which looks not very good.
    The unlaminated ones get dirtier if you are not careful but under the line they have my preference
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Agreed. Laminated covers are shinier but many times bubble up or get peeled. Unlaminated covers, especially darker ones, tend to get rings and shows wear easily. Most American covers are unlaminated, and German ones laminated. I guess I prefer laminated of the 2.

Having my first 15 years of record buying in North am, I was relatively surprised to see in the European used record racks some well-known album in a very glossy plastic laminated cover, often in relatively bad condition, too.

Not only did I find the glossy covers fairly ugly, but it actually aged poorly in most cases.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Has anyone a grandmother receipe for cleaning record covers especially removing promo stickers or price tags ? I normally use a soft wet tissue with a bit of dish cleaner with the risk to rub off a part of the colour, but with clear covers there is often a lot of dirt that goes away and they look better.

ask most vendors how they do it... A lot of them use ethanol to soak up the label and the glue behind it and gently use fingernails
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Has anyone a grandmother receipe for cleaning record covers especially removing promo stickers or price tags ? I normally use a soft wet tissue with a bit of dish cleaner with the risk to rub off a part of the colour, but with clear covers there is often a lot of dirt that goes away and they look better.
    Stickers usually come off with lighter fluid. I wet a cotton swab with the fluid and use that to saturate the sticker. Older and stickier stickers may need drops of fluid directly to the underside during the peeling process. Residue can be removed with a tissue and more lighter fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ask most vendors how they do it... A lot of them use ethanol to soak up the label and the glue behind it and gently use fingernails
    Do not use alcohol on non-laminated album covers--it can dissolve the ink on some types.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Has anyone a grandmother receipe for cleaning record covers especially removing promo stickers or price tags ?
    Heat them up with a hairdryer and then carefully remove glue residuals with a tissue soaked in lighter fluid or cleaning benzine. Works like charm.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^^ thanx for the advices !