Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Jobson "1971-1979 The Band Years" 2CD set (Globe) 10/26/2018

Mine came several days ago, but I have not listened yet.

I played The Green Album yesterday, a fabulous album. I can't help but wonder if Eddie should have stayed in Yes - maybe this is what 80's Yes should have sounded like!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I played The Green Album yesterday, a fabulous album. I can't help but wonder if Eddie should have stayed in Yes - maybe this is what 80's Yes should have sounded like!
    At least with a better singer than Eddie Jobson.

That's a great fantasy, and believe me, I would have loved for that to happen, but I think it would be a serious case of "too many cooks". Plus Eddie didn't like the fact that they were telling him what his keyboard rig would consist of.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    At least with a better singer than Eddie Jobson.
    He had a nice high range and his pitch was spot on. I thought it was a pretty great debut as lead vocalist.

He says that he turned down an initial offer to join Cinema because he was still making The Green Album. I think there would have been a strong fit between The Green Album material and what was on 90125. One can imagine some alternate universe where he brought that material into the band. And maybe a whole timeline where this kept Jobson in (prog-ish) rock rather than his move to soundtracks...

But then hypothetical alternate universes always sound great!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I had to rip a copy of my Green Album CD so I could make a segue of only some of the instrumental sections.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    That's a great fantasy, and believe me, I would have loved for that to happen, but I think it would be a serious case of "too many cooks". Plus Eddie didn't like the fact that they were telling him what his keyboard rig would consist of.

He had a nice high range and his pitch was spot on. I thought it was a pretty great debut as lead vocalist.
    To me his voice is what spoils The Green Album for me. It would have been better if he had used another vocalist. And I like several vocalists that are considered an aquired taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I had to rip a copy of my Green Album CD so I could make a segue of only some of the instrumental sections.
    To me his voice is what spoils The Green Album for me.
    I would like to suggest that you people are overly sensitive.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    As said, I can take a lot of vocals, but Eddie Jobson is a great keyboard and violin player, but I rather don't hear him sing. To each their own, but I don't think I'm overly sensitive.

As said, I can take a lot of vocals, but Eddie Jobson is a great keyboard and violin player, but I rather don't hear him sing. To each their own, but I don't think I'm overly sensitive.
    Somewhere Tony Banks is nodding.

Henry
    OK, go ahead.

got my order from FYE(thanks for that tip!) and took a listen at work this morning.

enjoyable set though for those on the fence the unreleased tracks total 8 minutes, if you are like me and have all the UK you get about 45 minutes of stuff. the booklet is nice with track by track notes from Eddie. definitely in for future sets though of which I presume I will own none of it on CD(still vinyl only for the green album for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    OK, go ahead.
    Thanks.

I suggest you people are overly sensitive.

Henry

Thanks.

I suggest you people are overly sensitive.

Henry
    I was but now use a creme for that! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I was but now use a creme for that! ��
    Does it work in one's ears?

^ It's a good compilation of the '70s work by a fantastic musician. I listened to music I know in a new context, and there were some interesting rarities.

That said, the idea of doing a "compilation" is very 20th century. I do not see the point. I've got the UK albums and most of the Roxy albums. I'm never playing CD 2 of this. Many musicians these days focus more on completeness and releasing rarities than just the 'greatest hits'. Something like, say, Steve Howe's Anthology 2 still has some greatest hits, buts put more weight on previously unreleased material or at least alternate versions of familiar tracks.

Henry
    I've bought compilations to get an idea of whether or not an artist or band is worth pursuing; from that point of view they're useful. Yes, I could look them up on YouTube or Spotify, but generally I want something to listen to in the car and a five-quid CD does the job.

On the other hand, I've stupidly bought compilations of bands whose work I already have, or requested them as Christmas presents or the like - e.g. Led Zeppelin's Mothership.

I don't understand why this 2CD set isn't more widely available (here in the UK particularly) - the price on Amazon UK is way OTT!
    It's the same with all Jobson product - including the UK albums which simply aren't available (no UK in the UK!)
    Is there something going on here that I'm not aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    I don't understand why this 2CD set isn't more widely available (here in the UK particularly) - the price on Amazon UK is way OTT!
    It's the same with all Jobson product - including the UK albums which simply aren't available (no UK in the UK!)
    Jobson likes to micromanage his products but has some strange ideas about how to do so...? It is annoying.

Henry

Jobson likes to micromanage his products but has some strange ideas about how to do so...? It is annoying.

Henry
    Yes, definitely annoying... I just had to order his 4 Decades Live B-R DVD from Japan, the only country where it is distributed. Either EJ underestimate the potential market for his productions or consider that the real fan is willing to make all the necessary efforts to get his records anyway and paying high prices accordingly, the latter assumption being probably the closest to reality.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 01-07-2019 at 09:31 AM.

There's a digital release of the Four Decades show audio available more widely.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    https://burningshed.com/store/eddiejobson?page=1

As far as I'm aware Burning Shed is the only stockist in the UK - and most of the other EJ/UK products they list are out of stock!
    That's not what I'd call "widely available".

Also, the liner notes lay out what the other releases in the series are going to be (if they happen):

1980-1989 The Solo Years
    1990-1999 The Scoring Years
    2000-2009 The Eclectic Years
    2010-2019 The Retrospective Years
    Any guesses if those other four sets will happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Any guesses if those other four sets will happen?
    I guess it's a good question whether these would really be necessary. To the best of my knowledge all of Jobson's non scoring solo work is concentrated in The Green Album and Theme Of Secrets so unless there's some unreleased material (such as the much rumoured Pink Album) it would be pointless, especially in light of the recent reissue of both those albums!

What would be fantastic would be if Eddie could go back and look through the master tapes for UK's much awaited never released album in the 90s. Wetton recorded bass and vocals for loads of tracks which featured cameos from Bill Bruford and even Steve Hackett!

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    I guess it's a good question whether these would really be necessary. To the best of my knowledge all of Jobson's non scoring solo work is concentrated in The Green Album and Theme Of Secrets so unless there's some unreleased material (such as the much rumoured Pink Album) it would be pointless, especially in light of the recent reissue of both those albums!

What would be fantastic would be if Eddie could go back and look through the master tapes for UK's much awaited never released album in the 90s. Wetton recorded bass and vocals for loads of tracks which featured cameos from Bill Bruford and even Steve Hackett!
    The Band Years had a lot of material that you'd've thought anyone interested in buying it already had, so maybe the plan for The Solo Years was similar, large chunks of his two solo albums and a few other bits and pieces (e.g., "The Dark Room" and "Ballooning Over Texas" from 1985's Piano One). It sounds like work was quite advanced on The Pink Album, so this would seem an obvious opportunity to release that material.

The Scoring Years and The Eclectic Years always looked like the more interesting possible releases. Jobson has said that Legacy (in the solo album form with Aaron Lippert replacing Wetton on vocals) was basically finished and just needs assembling, and of course three short tracks were released on Voices of Life. But he's also talked about rights issues and unhappiness with sonic choices made then that he wouldn't make now. To be frank, I do not understand why he doesn't just release Legacy, but then many decisions Jobson makes baffle me. Legacy began in 1995, with a chunk of recording work in 1999, when it was still to be a UK album, I think, and then some work later... so which decade does it fall into?

Bottom line, Jobson will do what he will do and it will probably be a slightly odd choice that involves us buying the same stuff again to a degree... and I will buy it because I love his music and even if there's just one previously unreleased Pink Album or Legacy track, you count me in.

Henry