Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Glass Hammer - Chronometree

FEATURED ALBUM: Glass Hammer - Chronometree

Wow, time flies! (see what I did there?) It's been 18 years since this album was released. I have followed GH less over recent times, but Chronometree was my favorite of their earlier works. With a "sequel" album "Chronomonaut" set to release next month, how does Chronometree hold up nearly 2 decades later?

Review from ProgArchives:
    There's a heavy ELP flavor to this album, and it makes me wonder if that band wouldn't have sounded like this if they'd been more than trio. It's excellent overall, but there's an awful lot of flaws that must be overcome. Once that task is taken care of, this is one extremely enjoyable album, especially musically. The lead vocals are really slippery, which is a strange adjective to use, and sometimes they're a good fit, but sometimes they make me think, "What were these guys thinking- this sounds awful!" Still, if that can be overlooked, the music is exceptional.

"Empty Space / Revealer" Lovely ELP-like organ and drumming begin this promising first track. However, unlike ELP, there's some excellent guitar passages with Mellotron drifting underneath. Sweet steel guitar over piano makes for an interesting quiet interlude, but overall this is a fantastic way to kick off an album.

"An Eldritch Wind" This has such a beautiful introduction, with acoustic guitar, autoharp, synthesizer, electric piano, and eventually gorgeous harmonics.

"Revelation" No other track sounds more like ELP than this one, with the shuffling rhythms, complex arrangements, and that organ tone. Peaceful strings then introduce the bass and odd vocals (fed through effects as they are). The lead vocals later on can be painful, but otherwise, this is a standout track.

"Chronotheme" The rhythm section is what the beginning of this one is all about. Heavy guitar and organ run about over it until an amazing synthesizer lead enters. It is a brilliant piece of music with lots of lovely layers.

"A Perfect Carousel" If this were an ELP album, this would be the obligatory Greg Lake acoustic track. However, it sounds nothing like that. This is largely due to the dynamic vocalist, who actually sounds unique on this track. Of course there's the synthesizer solo, which is actually quite fantastic.

"Chronos Delivere" Stark acoustic guitar begins an otherwise clothed track, full of keyboards and screaming electric guitar. A lovely choir assumes control for a bit, singing Vivaldi.

"Shapes Of The Morning" Organ, piano, synthesizer, bass, guitar, and drums make up the main part of this instrumental. While short, it is an astounding piece of music.

"Chronoverture" Piano from the previous track begins this one. It is full of delightful flourishes and dynamics, and then an organ accompanies it. The piece suddenly becomes another ELP-like track (as though the track marker were misplaced between this one and the previous one). For the most part, this track is an exercise in keyboard dynamics and wonderfulness, from synthesizer, to organ, to piano, and I love hearing it.

"The Waiting" Synthetic strings bridge the way for an introduction of organ. The middle section is a haunting bit with drums, good bass, and keys, but inexplicably gives way to acoustic guitar and the singing of that slippery lead singer. Lovely strings introduce the end.

"Watching The Sky" Hand drums, whistles, and flutes conclude the album in a short instrumental. - Epignosis

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I was a pretty strong GH hammer fan at this point in time and was very excited to hear the album. For me personally, this was kind of the point where I got off the bus. It wasn't bad by any stretch, it all just started to feel redundant to my ears.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I have followed GH less over recent times,
    They've put out their best work over the last several years, especially if you include the TIS reboot, so it may be worth your while to investigate.

I personally thought they improved AFTER this album, as much as I do like it. From Shadowlands on have been almost all quite excellent. I'm excited to hear Chronomonaut, love the Tom videos and the music sounds great.

I just can't get over the vocals. Love the music, but the vocals are unlistenable to me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I just can't get over the vocals. Love the music, but the vocals are unlistenable to me.
    The two vocalists that I've found very strong are Jon Davison and Susie Bogdanowicz. And Carl Groves is okay. Otherwise, you're right, not their strong suit, but the music I enjoy enough to override that.

This was my issue with this one as well... Loved the keys on it though!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Great cover art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love this album. I used to listen to it while doing college algebra homework.

Fun times... Cannot wait to hear the sequel!

Top 3 Glass Hammer album for me (along with TIS and Valkryie). Great mix of fantastic organ playing along with some beautiful acoustic driven songs. "Perfect Carousel" is a high point for me because my then 13 year old daughter and I used to play it together in my old studio. She's 21 now and just moved across country, so whenever I hear that song I think of her and I sharing music together.

I also really dig the end of "Revelation/Chronometry" - love the way the instruments slowly fade out just leaving the bass to finish out the song. Steve is an amazing melodic bass player, but those two notes (well, I think they're actually just one note - different octaves) are what I think of when I think of his bass playing.

The vocals are a real strong point for me as well - very unique. I'd love to hear Brad Marler come back and sing on a new tune, but it's sort of nice that he's only on this one album. It makes it more memorable.

Glass Hammer seems to work in multi-CD patterns (If and Cor Coridium are a pair... The Breaking of the World and Ode to Echo go together), but this one really stands out by itself. It's sort of the "Tormato" of the catalog, and I mean that in a very positive way.

Listening to it right now - here's some good visuals to go with it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-4GpL41DIE
    Last edited by julioscissors; 09-21-2018 at 08:37 PM.

I just checked them out and they've released 18 studio albums! I reviewed Lex Rex, Shadowlands and The Inconsolable Secret back some 12 years ago or so but never followed up on them. Shadowlands was the closest thing they did of the three that I liked.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I like the quirky vocals. They help the Tom character come alive.

For me, Glass Hammer started to be an interesting band after the Lex Rex album.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I just checked them out and they've released 18 studio albums! I reviewed Lex Rex, Shadowlands and The Inconsolable Secret back some 12 years ago or so but never followed up on them. Shadowlands was the closest thing they did of the three that I liked.
    I'd suggest checking out "Perilous" and "Valkrie" since that period. If you like "Valkyrie", "Mostly Live in Italy" is a great companion to that piece as well.

The Breaking Of The World is even better than Valkyrie, imo. Perilous is also outstanding, apart from the vocals. Anyway, a lot to love.

Chronometree was the first Glass Hammer album that I liked from the start. I agree that Brad's vocals add to the character and generally fit the music very well. It's just a well crafted album start to finish. I pretty much enjoy everything that came after, even the Middle Earth album haha. If remains my favorite release.

Next to Dunadan, this is my favorite GH album. Looking forward to the sequel!

This was the first GH album I ever picked up or listened to. I loved it at the time and still like it a lot. ESPECIALLY the vocals! The music is SO retro prog that the kind of grunge like vocals make the album stand out for me. Anyway, I next saw them at Nearfest and didn't really enjoy the performance that much, for reasons I can't really recall now. However, it took another 10+ years for me to try them again, with "If" and I've been a fan ever since. Perilous is my favorite of them all so far, and that run of 3 albums with Jon Davison are still my favorites because the biggest issue I've always had with them is the vocals. I wasn't crazy about Carl, though he's a decent singer. Suzie is great, of course, but underutilized IMO.

So really, Chronomotree is the only other album besides the Davison albums that has a notable singer IMO. That said, I do love most of their other work starting with TIS, even if the vocals on a lot of it are not so great to my ears (though I like Walter Moore better on the remastered tracks from TIS, since you can actually hear him quite well on that, unlike the original release).

exactly! Production is top notch, music is good, but...

I finally dug out my copy so I could contribute to this thread. First, I had a lot of good memories about this album so I'm glad i got to hear it again. Back in 2000 it was a pure breath of retro-fresh air. I thought they had nailed the Emerson ELP sound so well and actually progressed with it.

Here's my thing with the vocals. On the first tune they noticeably suck. I think "God will I have to listen to an entire album of this??!" But then the playing is great and I get sucked into the little Chronometree world so that I don't care anymore. I find the vocals perfectly enjoyable from then on, or at least not bothersome. Anyway it is still a great album after all these years. Fifteen years ago it was often my favorite, sometimes that was Lex Rex.

I too got off the GH bus, in my case after Inconsolable Secret, though I did buy the remix of that and I'm glad. I need to check out some of their more recent efforts.