Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimson and Adrian Belew

Crimson and Adrian Belew

Per Adrian: this morning Robert and I talked on the phone, first time in a while. we had a lovely conversation and a good bit of laughter.

Hers is my thought: Robert has been touring the "early " Crimson years since 2014 all the while making many live records and DVD 's. Fast forward to 2018; touring Europe and Japan finishing in late Dec... So, with this lineup , it's been performing for 4+yrs. What's next?? Fripp wants to keep playing live. Obviously no new record is coming. I mean, how much more can they do with that era. They've played everything. That's why I ask, "how can Adrian not be brought back?" I post this here for the Fear of Jakko fanboys getting offended. Like they do on FB. As much I enjoyed both shows I saw, he ain't Adrian. Thoughts?? Comments??

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    he ain't Adrian. Thoughts?? Comments??
    In my opinion he doesn't have to be. just a different variation of a theme and a nice one. and I love seeing Adrian as well. Both can be appreciated.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I greatly prefer Jakko. Adrian's vocals are totally an acquired taste. Adrian's an immense talented musically in composition and playing. I prefer things where they are now.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Why not have Belew and Jakszyk? They could always use another drummer.

IMHO... sounds like two friends catching up. Not really much reason to start reading anything more into it.

No reason A.B. has to "replace" J.J.- plenty of room for both in the Court. Take the best of the new material and refine it: have Belew add some of his own stuff, everybody add and arrange. Adrian sing backing on the Jakko songs, Jakko sing backing / harmony on the Adrian songs. J.J. can add acoustic guitar while Fripp plays soundscapes and AB blasts electric lead over it all, etc., Voila! A new K.C. album with room for everybody.

Don't think it will happen, though.

P.S. does Jakko have fanboys?
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 09-20-2018 at 08:56 PM.

The eons are closing
    If AB back in the touring band means there is a greater than 0% chance that the current 'Starless " is not played (e.g Not automatic in the setlist every friggin show) then Yes to AB returning.

However I like Jakko (aside from my problems with Starless) and love what he does on just about everything else.

And truthfully its the pace and arrangement of Starless that causes me agita not Jakko singing.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    No reason A.B. has to "replace" J.J.- plenty of room for both in the Court. Take the best of the new material and refine it: have Belew add some of his own stuff, everybody add and arrange. Adrian sing backing on the Jakko songs, Jakko sing backing / harmony on the Adrian songs. J.J. can add acoustic guitar while Fripp plays soundscapes and AB blasts electric lead over it all, etc., Voila! A new K.C. album with room for everybody.
    that sounds good!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I greatly prefer Jakko. Adrian's vocals are totally an acquired taste. Adrian's an immense talented musically in composition and playing. I prefer things where they are now.
    Cosign.

yup... Never a fan of Belew's vocals, even on his compositions (let alone the rare reprise tracks of the previous album that he scarcely performed)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Why not have Belew and Jakszyk? They could always use another drummer.
    Wouldn't that push the concert tickets above the 150.00 €$£ ??

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Yeah, well I also dreamt of Santa Claus in the flesh and in full Technicolor

Nice fantasy (not totally impossible either), but something tells me that Ade will dislike Jakko's presence on stage.

Though I wouldn't object to Ade's return (who am I to do so), I kind of hold him responsible for the absence of 70's stuff (outside the instrumentals LTiA, Red ... and the inevitable Schizoid) for three decades in Crimson's sets.
    Whether it was because he was too proud to sing it, or felt incapable of doing so.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quite the opposite here.

King Crimson - Discipline was a revelation for me. Voice, warts and the lot.
    I rather like his voice. American theatrical and not trying to sound 'epic', works on that incarnation of KC.

I would love to see a new KC incarnation with Adrian. He would provide the creative spark for new music.

I made my peace with the current KC and am looking forward to the new Blu-ray, but I think they have run their course. It was great to give the old music a new airing. It's great music and deserved it. But I think it's time to move on to new music. The current incarnation is not suited for that. But of course it's all up to Robert Fripp.

This^

However, I send good vibrations to Adrian. Perhaps Adrian pulls a Gavin Harrison and hooks up with someone else.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 09-21-2018 at 09:28 AM.

My assumption when Belew stated a while back that he and Fripp hashed things out and he was now "ninth man inactive" was that the band is pretty much his when Fripp is done with it. That is, at some point Fripp is going to retire - probably not any time soon as he seems to be having the time of his life - and the only way KC continues credibly without Fripp is with Belew.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    My assumption when Belew stated a while back that he and Fripp hashed things out and he was now "ninth man inactive" was that the band is pretty much his when Fripp is done with it. That is, at some point Fripp is going to retire - probably not any time soon as he seems to be having the time of his life - and the only way KC continues credibly without Fripp is with Belew.
    The Crimson ProjeKCt was completely credible. Would love to see them continue and produce some new music.

I don't really see Adrian as a part of the current formation just because adiran is such a energetic stage minded kinda guy I don't see him standing up in his spot in the back line doing his bits. so if he were to come back would probably be a reinvention of how king crimson is presented which could be good at this point that we have all had our chance to see this lineup and the oldies presented.

I would love a final album in 2019 (if Fripp was looking to kick it in the head on the 50th), but I suspect the touring unit is how he wants K.C. to go out.

Move right along people

Nothing new to read here

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Cosign.
    Tangent!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I thought "Ninth Man" was a variation on Tony Levin's "Fifth Man" status circa 2000-2007. I saw the Tony Levin Band in concert back around 2003 or so, and Tony introduce a piece called The Fifth Man by saying that the title came from a conversation he had with Fripp. I guess Tony had asked what his status in King Crimson was, with the group pressing forward as a quartet, with Trey Gunn as the sole bassist. I guess Tony was curious about whether he was still "in the band" or not, and Fripp apparently responded, "Of course you are, you're the Fifth Man". Note that when Trey finally decided to bow otu of the band, it was Tony who replaced him.

I extend that to assume that if Fripp needs to services of someone with Ade's talents, say if JJ decides to drop out, Ade will be the first person Chuckles calls/e-mails/texts to offer the position to. I can also maybe see the possibility that if, say, Mel Collins dropped out, maybe Fripp could be Adrian on. That would make them, what? The Dorset Guitar Army? (as opposed to the Florida Guitar Army). I wonder if Ade's drumming skills are up to playing Crimson music. Ade's multi-instrumental skills could put him into a lot of different possible places in the band.

I just wish we could get them to do the full Lizard suite. Yeah, I knwo, you'd need a horn section, a piano player, and Jon Anderson to make it happen. But it's still something I've always wanted to hear live. That and material from Three Of A Perfect Pair.

I would have preferred that Fripp kept Discipline as name for the Belew/Levin/Bruford band. I don't associate this project with KC when I listen to it and I think it would have been interesting if Fripp had kept both projects/bands as touring units (seen that Bruford has retired with another drummer)

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I would have preferred that Fripp kept Discipline as name for the Belew/Levin/Bruford band. I don't associate this project with KC when I listen to it and I think it would have been interesting if Fripp had kept both projects/bands as touring units (seen that Bruford has retired with another drummer)
    Personally, I would've also preferred Discipline for those three albums, but I'm not certain that if he had , the 90's and 00's bands would've been called Crimson (or even existed at all)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Personally, I would've also preferred Discipline for those three albums, but I'm not certain that if he had , the 90's and 00's bands would've been called Crimson (or even existed at all)
    Good point...You're scaring me.

I love Belew as a vocalist, guitarist and composer and would definitely like to see him back in the court of KC.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/