Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crimson and Adrian Belew

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Tangent!
    Secant! Tangent! Cosine! Sine!
    Three-point-one-four-one-five-nine!
    Go-o-o-o trig team!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I extend that to assume that if Fripp needs to services of someone with Ade's talents, say if JJ decides to drop out, Ade will be the first person Chuckles calls/e-mails/texts to offer the position to. I can also maybe see the possibility that if, say, Mel Collins dropped out, maybe Fripp could be Adrian on. That would make them, what? The Dorset Guitar Army? (as opposed to the Florida Guitar Army).
    It's already an army; Adrian is just in the reserves.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Hers is my thought: Robert has been touring the "early " Crimson years since 2014 all the while making many live records and DVD 's. Fast forward to 2018; touring Europe and Japan finishing in late Dec... So, with this lineup , it's been performing for 4+yrs. What's next?? Fripp wants to keep playing live. Obviously no new record is coming. I mean, how much more can they do with that era. They've played everything. That's why I ask, "how can Adrian not be brought back?" I post this here for the Fear of Jakko fanboys getting offended. Like they do on FB. As much I enjoyed both shows I saw, he ain't Adrian. Thoughts?? Comments??

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    The current band was borne from ‘Scarcity of Miracles.’
    If we disregard the old material presented in the live programs, we hear some of what is to come: A new studio album in the making. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Secant! Tangent! Cosine! Sine!
    Three-point-one-four-one-five-nine!
    Go-o-o-o trig team!
    I'm glad someone understood what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It's already an army; Adrian is just in the reserves.
    I was implying a parallel between a theoretically three guitar lineup of Crimson and The Outlaws, who were nicknamed the Florida Guitar Army, because of their triple axe attack.

But I suppose you have a point, they do have enough musicians onstage for a full blown ground assault on some banana republic somewhere, as depicted in a Woody Allen movie ("State department's not taking any chances this time, some of us will be fighting for the government, some us will be fighting against").

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I love Belew as a vocalist, guitarist and composer and would definitely like to see him back in the court of KC.
    So do I, but at this point I'd rather see him hit the road with Gizmodrome first (Which doesn't really appear to be happening in the States, sadly.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    I made my peace with the current KC and am looking forward to the new Blu-ray, but I think they have run their course.
    I'm glad you've made your peace (!) but, at least to my ears, Meltdown demonstrates that this version of Crimson has far from "run its course." If anything, Meltdown not only captures the band at its absolute peak, but at its most open-ended. I think there's still plenty for this band to do, especially since they became eight, with their first full-time keyboardist.

As I've said before, I'm a fan of Belén-era Crim, but don't miss him at all in the current lineup, nor do I see how he would work with it. As I've said and written before, Adrian is a natural-born frontman, a charismatic, impossible to ignore front man. As valuable as that can be, it's antithetical to the current Crimson's "nobody shines/everybody shines aesthetic.

So, it's not about being a Jakko fanboy or an Adrian hater. I love 'em both, for different reasons, but I just don't see a place for Belew in this Crimson. Not saying that he couldn't do something good with some other variant of the band in future (though I'm plenty happy with the current band and how it's evolving), but it would have to be a different lineup, with a different purpose. At least, that's how I see it.
    Last edited by jkelman; 11-11-2018 at 04:59 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

i've watched the first half of Meltdown and it's stunning. The band is even better than when I saw them 1.5 years ago. This lineup, unlike any other can play ANYTHING from the catalog. They are booking into 2020 and I hope to see them again before it is all said and done. If this is the last version, it is a very fitting run in my opinion.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    i've watched the first half of Meltdown and it's stunning. The band is even better than when I saw them 1.5 years ago. This lineup, unlike any other can play ANYTHING from the catalog. They are booking into 2020 and I hope to see them again before it is all said and done. If this is the last version, it is a very fitting run in my opinion.
    What he said
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I would have preferred that Fripp kept Discipline as name for the Belew/Levin/Bruford band. I don't associate this project with KC when I listen to it and I think it would have been interesting if Fripp had kept both projects/bands as touring units (seen that Bruford has retired with another drummer)
    funny story - I used to have a KC "Red" T-shirt and got into a conversation with someone who talked about how much he loved that album and how he was a total Crimhead in his youth. after a minute or two I figure out that he's actually talking about Discipline, he just referred to those three albums as "Red", "Blue", and "Yellow", thinking they were just a one-off band that disappeared in the mid-80s. he had no idea that King Crimson were a thing before that. I wasn't even sure if I should tell him to check out the old albums...they're great of course, but nothing like the 80s stuff!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    funny story - I used to have a KC "Red" T-shirt and got into a conversation with someone who talked about how much he loved that album and how he was a total Crimhead in his youth. after a minute or two I figure out that he's actually talking about Discipline, he just referred to those three albums as "Red", "Blue", and "Yellow", thinking they were just a one-off band that disappeared in the mid-80s. he had no idea that King Crimson were a thing before that. I wasn't even sure if I should tell him to check out the old albums...they're great of course, but nothing like the 80s stuff!
    The chap who spotted my 'Red' (the eponymous album, not 'Discipline') shirt enthused about what a great album ITCOTCK was, but I got the impression that he was unaware that they'd ever released anything else.