Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Drake "l'Isola dei Lupi"

Bob Drake "l'Isola dei Lupi"

https://bobdrake.bandcamp.com/album/lisola-dei-lupi

New Bob Drake album is a reason to celebrate. Review forthcoming soon......
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Wow, now there is something to look forward to whrn i get back from vacation!

How do ya like that, find out on PE that one's own album is available...I didn't know! I've emailed Morphius (it's they who administer that Bandcamp page, not me) and asked them to change the tracks they've made streamable, the ones they currently have (1, 2, and 15) are definitely not what I would choose to give a flavor of the album. I have requested they change it to tracks 1, 6 and 12, so if you see those being streamable, that"s my choice!
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    How do ya like that, find out on PE that one's own album is available...I didn't know! I've emailed Morphius (it's they who administer that Bandcamp page, not me) and asked them to change the tracks they've made streamable, the ones they currently have (1, 2, and 15) are definitely not what I would choose to give a flavor of the album. I have requested they change it to tracks 1, 6 and 12, so if you see those being streamable, that"s my choice!
    BD
    Track 15 is delicious (that's the one I've listened). Looking forward to the whole thing.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 09-18-2018 at 01:06 PM.

I wanted to keep that one (track 15) as a surpise though! I see they did change one of them, now track 12 is available instead of 15. Now if they'll just change from 2 to 6 I'll be content!

x
    BD

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bob, loved the teaser, will pick this up when back in the States
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Bought it on Bandcamp last night without streaming any of the tracks beforehand -- and I'm glad I did it that way! Afterward, I Listened through the whole album in one sitting.

Loved it.

Track 15 is really great. I can see why you wanted that to be a surprise.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention the beautiful artwork. Really great.

^ great man!

Not gonna lie - I've had the album for a while now (I know this guy who looks like BD), and it is absolutely my fav album of the year. I haven't bought a ton of prog stuff this year, but even if I did, I just don't see anything topping this....I believe this is one of his masterworks. Yep, I truly feel that way. I wasn't sure how Bob was going to follow Arx Pilosa, which is a phenomenal album as well, but this album absolutely stands on its own as the equal (or even greater) successor. They are different, so its difficult to compare, but l'Isola has become a top 3 (or thereabouts) BD album for me, it's that good. What I told Bob was that this is the album that has taken his entire career to make, which is meant as a huge compliment. I hear him stretching out in many ways as a composer, musician, and engineer, so that is my thinking on that. The compositions are clearly very original, the playing is ridiculous, and Bob's vocals are the best he has ever sounded on record, imo. Harmonically speaking, those of you that appreciate and love quirky, idiosyncratic, yet beautiful harmonic changes will love that aspect of this album. These compositions are deep, they take time to set in, and this album rewards on many, many very close listens. I have really only been listening to it with headphones, and I highly suggest that you do the same. The production and overall soundstage will overwhelm your senses with a decent pair of headphones, pending you give it an uninterrupted and deep listen that an album of this complexity and richness deserves.

I've been pretty excited to talk about this album so I am very curious to hear what you BD-heads will think, but this is not to be missed imo. Congrats again to Bob - and thanks again for another astounding album. I will give a more detailed impression when I have more time, but I just wanted to share my overall feelings about this one. Go get it and enjoy

Wtf, is it all available now if I order?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Yeah, I think you get the FLAC immediately if you order through BC. I placed an order through ReR that supposedly came with extra artwork, still waiting on that.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yeah, I think you get the FLAC immediately if you order through BC. I placed an order through ReR that supposedly came with extra artwork, still waiting on that.
    Awesome! I am ordering tomorrow.

You are correct, sir. That's how I got the album last night.

Me and Yehuda just got to listen to it with Bob’s commentary
    What a lovely listening expirience!
    Exquisite album
    Really

Glad you like it! Also happy to know you get artwork with the digital version too, I don't know how that works! Do you get a PDF or something? In the CD version, the map will be a fold-out thing.
    x
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Bought it on Bandcamp last night without streaming any of the tracks beforehand -- and I'm glad I did it that way! Afterward, I Listened through the whole album in one sitting.

Loved it.

Track 15 is really great. I can see why you wanted that to be a surprise.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention the beautiful artwork. Really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I pre-ordered from ReR a few months back. Anyone know when the start shipping?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Glad you like it! Also happy to know you get artwork with the digital version too, I don't know how that works! Do you get a PDF or something? In the CD version, the map will be a fold-out thing.
    x
    BD
    Oh, there's a fold-out map? Cool! I was just talking about the cover artwork, which was the only thing included with the music files. Now I'm looking forward to the arrival of the physical CD even more.

That cover painting is simply beautiful.

Also, I absolutely love the massive-sounding finale of "Supplement to the Ritual". The first time I heard it, it was like "Whoa... I'll need to listen to that again," because it completely blindsided me for some reason.

Epic.

^ great man!

Not gonna lie - I've had the album for a while now (I know this guy who looks like BD), and it is absolutely my fav album of the year. I haven't bought a ton of prog stuff this year, but even if I did, I just don't see anything topping this....I believe this is one of his masterworks. Yep, I truly feel that way. I wasn't sure how Bob was going to follow Arx Pilosa, which is a phenomenal album as well, but this album absolutely stands on its own as the equal (or even greater) successor. They are different, so its difficult to compare, but l'Isola has become a top 3 (or thereabouts) BD album for me, it's that good. What I told Bob was that this is the album that has taken his entire career to make, which is meant as a huge compliment. I hear him stretching out in many ways as a composer, musician, and engineer, so that is my thinking on that. The compositions are clearly very original, the playing is ridiculous, and Bob's vocals are the best he has ever sounded on record, imo. Harmonically speaking, those of you that appreciate and love quirky, idiosyncratic, yet beautiful harmonic changes will love that aspect of this album. These compositions are deep, they take time to set in, and this album rewards on many, many very close listens. I have really only been listening to it with headphones, and I highly suggest that you do the same. The production and overall soundstage will overwhelm your senses with a decent pair of headphones, pending you give it an uninterrupted and deep listen that an album of this complexity and richness deserves.

I've been pretty excited to talk about this album so I am very curious to hear what you BD-heads will think, but this is not to be missed imo. Congrats again to Bob - and thanks again for another astounding album. I will give a more detailed impression when I have more time, but I just wanted to share my overall feelings about this one. Go get it and enjoy
    As always, I love reading your insights into music here Frank. Thank you for sharing.

This is (of course) going to take quite a bit of time to fully sink in -- wouldn't be a Bob Drake record otherwise! So far the only other BD discs I've got are Lawn Ornaments and Arx Pilosa, and so I'm glad to have L'Isola sitting alongside them. What's fascinating to me is that in spite of the sheer number of musical ideas that these albums all contain, they're eminently catchy or even downright accessible. That can't be an easy thing to do.

That's a shame, I have to see if they can also include the lyrics and the map. The lurics are an equal part of the music, you gotta have those.
    BD

Oh, there's a fold-out map? Cool! I was just talking about the cover artwork, which was the only thing included with the music files. Now I'm looking forward to the arrival of the physical CD even more.

That cover painting is simply beautiful.

Also, I absolutely love the massive-sounding finale of "Supplement to the Ritual". The first time I heard it, it was like "Whoa... I'll need to listen to that again," because it completely blindsided me for some reason.

Epic.

I've written to Mophius (the people who run the Bandcamp page) and asked them to include the lyric sheet and map. In my opinion you're only getting half the package without those.

BD

It turns out Morphius (the US distibutor, at the Bandcamp link in Frank's original post) really jumped the gun in posting and starting to sell this album, without telling me or the label they had done so. I only found out by seeing it mentioned here on PE! It’s not supposed to be released until next month. Plus they are selling it (digital download version) without the artwork or lyric sheet, things which are are part of the package. They have been told by ReR to take it down until the official release, and when they do have it again in October it will include the art and lyrics.

So please don’t buy it from Morphius yet - wait until the official release next month!

For those who did buy from Morphius, I will make sure you get the map and lyric sheet if you contact me.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 09-19-2018 at 12:35 PM.

It turns out Morphius (the US distibutor, at the Bandcamp link in Frank's original post) really jumped the gun in posting and starting to sell this album, without telling me or the label they had done so. I only found out by seeing it mentioned here on PE! It’s not supposed to be released until next month. Plus they are selling it without the artwork or lyric sheet, things which are are part of the package.

Crazy!

It turns out Morphius (the US distibutor, at the Bandcamp link in Frank's original post) really jumped the gun in posting and starting to sell this album, without telling me or the label they had done so. I only found out by seeing it mentioned here on PE! It’s not supposed to be released until next month. Plus they are selling it (digital download version) without the artwork or lyric sheet, things which are are part of the package. They have been told by ReR to take it down until the official release, and when they do have it again in October it will include the art and lyrics.

So please don’t buy it from Morphius yet - wait until the official release next month!

For those who did buy from Morphius, I will make sure you get the map and lyric sheet if you contact me.
    Bob
    Wow... I feel sorta guilty now, getting the album in advance effectively. Can't believe the distributor went and did that...

But thank you for sorting it out with them about the artwork and lyrics. What's your preferred method of contacting you about getting the lyrics/artwork?

Wow... I feel sorta guilty now, getting the album in advance effectively.
    It's not your fault is it? (or IS IT? haha)
    We've worked it out with the distributor and they told me they will send the art to those who did buy it from them already. If they don't do that withink a week or so, contact me at bd(at)bdrak.com and I'll make sure you do.

BD

I also pulled the trigger before I understood what had happened...but I don't feel guilty. A whole month discussing music that I wouldn't be able to hear is not what my doctor perscribed.