Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Drake "l'Isola dei Lupi"

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I also pulled the trigger before I understood what had happened...but I don't feel guilty. A whole month discussing music that I wouldn't be able to hear is not what my doctor perscribed.
    Awesome! I will keep an eye out then.

And pretty sure it's not my fault, but you never know...

This new album has prompted me to listen to some other Bob Drake projects, like Hail and 5uu's.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I also pulled the trigger before I understood what had happened...but I don't feel guilty. A whole month discussing music that I wouldn't be able to hear is not what my doctor perscribed.
    You make a good point, my man.

You can all hear 30-40 seconds from each song, and get a peek at Joe Mruk's artwork on this neat "teaser" my brother Dave made for me:
    https://youtu.be/Ccok1mkzF_A

I assume this album is not in anyway related to the recent Wes Anderson film Isle Of Dogs?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I assume this album is not in anyway related to the recent Wes Anderson film Isle Of Dogs?
    No it is not. I wasn't aware of such a film until you mentioned it here.
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    No it is not. I wasn't aware of such a film until you mentioned it here.
    BD
    Map design of the cover art kind of brought the wonderful visual style of the film in my mind.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Map design of the cover art kind of brought the wonderful visual style of the film in my mind.
    Actually the reason there is a map is because I know Joe loves doing maps, and this seemed the perfect album for one. Once we decided there would be a map, that gave me ideas for songs too.

BD

It wasn't a big problem, just a little mis (or non) communication between ReR and Morphius which was quickly rectified. I didn't mean to squelch anyone's discussion of the album, for example

BD

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    I didn't mean to squelch anyone's discussion of the album, for example

BD
    No worries there, sir.

I've gone back to Lawn Ornaments and Arx Pilosa again since listening to Lupi. Love them all, but each one seems to be better than the last. And there is a pervading sense of fun throughout all of them -- if you enjoyed making them, I definitely think that came through in the finished product.

I did Lupi yet again the other night - man that thing is GOOD. I need to dive into details but I'm getting ready for a jazz gig tonight in CT......skeeeee boppppp.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

disappointed i can no longer listen to this on my bandcamp app :/ was good though!

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    disappointed i can no longer listen to this on my bandcamp app :/ was good though!
    I have absolutely no idea how that kind of thing works, but I would imagine it will be available again after the actual release date (3rd October). If you already bought the album, and you still can't play it after the 3rd, email me (bd at bdrak.com) and I will ask the US distributor (who manage that bandcamp page) if they can do something.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    No worries there, sir.

I've gone back to Lawn Ornaments and Arx Pilosa again since listening to Lupi. Love them all, but each one seems to be better than the last.
    I do feel that these three latest albums are each a good step along the journey, obviously I am learning all the time and all energies aimed at refining and exploring whatever this thing is that I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    No worries there, sir.

if you enjoyed making them,
    "Enjoy" is much too mild a word! I thrive upon every bit of every step of making them, from coming up with skeletal ideas, working them into songs, writing the lyrics, every bit of the recording process, all the surprises and unexpected things along the way, love it all.

xx
    BD
    www.bdrak.com

I pre-ordered on Bandcamp and it tells me this album is to be released on October 3. That is already in the past but still nothing to listen to

I am anxious to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I pre-ordered on Bandcamp and it tells me this album is to be released on October 3. That is already in the past but still nothing to listen to

I am anxious to hear it!
    You can imagine how frustrating it is for me to NOT be able to do anything about that sort of thing. I emailed Morphius (they run that Bob Drake bandcamp page, not me) to remind them to make it available on the 3rd. I've just emailed again and asked Chris Cutler to do the same. I really wish I could do something more!!!

Bob

And please note - once Morphius makes the download version available again (it SHOULD have been yesterday), if it still doesn't include the artwork and lyrics, please email me and I will send them to you as soon as the artist Joe Mruk provides me with an email-able version.

Sorry for the mess but I'm helpless to do anything.

Bob

I am sure it will be made available soon.

My impatience is your fault though. Your last couple of albums are just too good.

Thanks for trying for sort it for us, Bob. I'll wait as patiently as I can, by which I mean checking Bandcamp every hour or so.

I guess those of us who got to hear it early on BC were due a little karmic correction

Just saw it come up on Bandcamp for real this time (presumably)! Always exciting! I'll be anxiously awaiting the subscriber's edition from ReR and sating myself with song samples till its arrival. New album from you is always an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    Just saw it come up on Bandcamp for real this time (presumably)! Always exciting! I'll be anxiously awaiting the subscriber's edition from ReR and sating myself with song samples till its arrival. New album from you is always an event.
    I also just found out from the digital distributor, there are NO CREDITS included. That's crazy. I've asked them to add the credits (about two lines of text) to the lyric sheet. Yes it's 99.9% me, but I want to give credit to anyone who was involved.

BD

OK the digital download version is all fixed and there should be an option to download the artwork, lyrics, credits etc. IF you bought it and didn't get any of that, please contact me and I'll send it to you. And now, please simply enjoy the thing

xx
    BD

Glad this album is official now.....looking forward to some impressions when some folks give it a few spins and it sinks in.....imo Lupi gets better and better with every listen.

It's pretty, pretty good, no doubts there. I had a very enjoyable 3rd spin yesterday morning. A more meticulous account of my impressions will be coming shortly.

It's a relief that there are still people like Bob in the music-making.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Glad this album is official now.....looking forward to some impressions when some folks give it a few spins and it sinks in.....imo Lupi gets better and better with every listen.
    Thanks Frank,and I think you see what I meant when I told you (I think I told you anyhow!) that, although it's impossible for me to say anything objectively because I know it so well, I had the feeling that for a new listener this album would probably not be exactlty an instant "wow" in the way that perhaps that Arx Pilosa or Lawn Ornaments were. It does have a very deliberate pacing and development..

xx
    BD

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bought
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.