Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Shakes?

meimjustalawnmower
    Hipster-weenies.

meimjustalawnmower
    Black singers trying to sound like white singers tryin' to sound like black singers.

Symphster-weenies?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Hipster is a lazy word for dismissal for no good reason. Used much in the same way as sellout.

what do you say if you disagree? no word?

meimjustalawnmower
    Hipsters HATE being called "hipsters".

Yeah, I saw them on SNL also and thought they were pretty solid. They have a lot of soul so to speak mainly because of the lead singer/guitarist. This was one of the best music performances I have seen on SNL in quite a while. I don't really watch the show for the bands anymore so it's always a nice surprise when I like the musical guest.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Hipster as far as I can tell refers to people in their late teens or early to mid twenties who are in desperate need of a specific social group to belong to. They are either in college or preparing to go to college, well read(or try to be)into beatnick poetry, literature, art and indie rock and tend to only buy and listen to vinyl albums. They often wear black Clark Kent style glasses, wear converse high tops, army jackets and smoke cigarettes(and probably other stuff too). It seems that they want people to envy them. They tend to have big egos and think they are somehow superior to others who "don't get them." This is all my opinion of course but I have researched it somewhat as well. Also, I've known a few personally.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Here's a great article about hipster/indie rock, how the Black Keys managed to avoid that ghetto, and possibly the future of rock n' roll:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...t-7-black-keys
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ last I heard, the future of rock n roll was a guy named Springsteen, but afaic that didn't pan out. moving on...

Last edited by davis; 02-20-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Brittany Howard has the "Adele" factor going for her (if you know what I mean and NO SLURS INTENDED) and imo will be a major star. Based on the fact that they were all friends in high school and some even before, I don't think the rest of the band will meet the same fate as a bunch of guys from SF who hooked up with a singer from Port Arthur, TX in 1965.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Brittany Howard has the "Adele" factor going for her (if you know what I mean and NO SLURS INTENDED) and imo will be a major star. Based on the fact that they were all friends in high school and some even before, I don't think the rest of the band will meet the same fate as a bunch of guys from SF who hooked up with a singer from Port Arthur, TX in 1965.
    Well, I would tend to agree with you except for the nature of the business as it is now. You look at these "bands" who have a strong presence in a lead singer, and pretty soon it's the Brittany Howard show. If you don't believe me, look at more recent history such as 10,000 Maniacs, etcetera. Her label doesn't give a flyin' fuck about anything but making money, and if they tell her to lose the other guys, it's gonna happen, or she's gonna be back at square one.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    It seems that they want people to envy them.
    If they do, this is the wrong way to go about it:

They often wear black Clark Kent style glasses, wear converse high tops, army jackets and smoke cigarettes(and probably other stuff too).
    So essentially, they are self-defeatists? I'll give them credit for gumption, though. It would be much easier to be a nihilist.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

To pursue the tangent further, you ever notice that when many teens and twenty-somethings non-conform, they get into predictable groups (hipsters, goths) and then all conform to the same look.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I have no idea what the 'Adele' factor is, but I was thinking I hope the Shakes stay intact (or those that leave get replaced) and that Brittany doesn't go and marry Paul Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    To pursue the tangent further, you ever notice that when many teens and twenty-somethings non-conform, they get into predictable groups (hipsters, goths) and then all conform to the same look.
    Nothing new under the sun, right?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I have no idea what the 'Adele' factor is, but I was thinking I hope the Shakes stay intact (or those that leave get replaced) and that Brittany doesn't go and marry Paul Simon.
    The "Adele" factory is female singers on the heavy side.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    The "Adele" factory
    Freudian slip?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Freudian slip?
    I was answering Davis' question.

meimjustalawnmower
    And you answered my question also. Thanks.

They were on Austin City Limits last year, and I think I saw the singer on an all star "festival" type thing that ACL did late last year. She's got a great voice, I'll tell ya that much.

Wha...? Huh...?

The "Adele" factory is female singers on the heavy side.
    Freudian slip?
    And you answered my question also. Thanks.
    This exchange is simply classic!

according to photos I've seen, Adele's size fluctuates quite a bit. I've been overlooking Brittany's size because I think her performance intensity eclipses it.

[QUOTE=meimjustalawnmower;57689]Freudian slip?[/QUOTE

How do you know what kind of slip Freud wore? or if he even wore women's items at all.

meimjustalawnmower