Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Musicians who aren't known for any one particular recording

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Michael Nesmith in many ways qualifies for this. None of his songs with The Monkees were really hits, and none of his solo albums or songs were really incredibly big. Maybe "Rio" but that's questionable. Yet, he's without question famous and pioneer in a lot of ways.
    Yeah, but he's famous as one of The Monkees, and therefore famous in connection with their hits.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Is there anyone else you can who seems to have gained relative fame as a musician but without having a record that's entered into the pantheon of being "well known"?
    Milli Vanilli in the twisted way...they were famous and they did not have a record

Nicky Hopkins
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Lino
    Chris Spedding.

Ry Cooder is sort of famous for the Buena Vista Social Club. I seem to recall that getting a lot of press when it came out. But there again, I think the average person has no clue who Ry Cooder is.

Nicky Hopkins and Chris Spedding are studio musicians, not relevant.

Tony Levin?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“One More Day (No Word)”-Todd Rundgren/Something/Anything?

Ry Cooder is sort of famous for the Buena Vista Social Club. I seem to recall that getting a lot of press when it came out. But there again, I think the average person has no clue who Ry Cooder is.

Nicky Hopkins and Chris Spedding are studio musicians, not relevant.
    It did, but I don't recall it being overly-associated with Cooder all that much, at the time. Anyway, I thought that if we were digging deep enough to get to Tony Levin, Cooder was fair game.

I think it's hard to get to too big of a name outside jazz circles for this kind of thing, because there will inevitably big a big song or album.

Staying in Jazz, I don't think that Sun Ra is known for any particular album or song. Not a household name, obviously, but he IS undeniably one of those people who "people have heard of" who haven't necessarily heard any of his music.

Is Dr. John known for a particular album or song? I'm unaware of any, though the early part of his career pre-dates my music listening years. He's always just been "that New Orleans guy" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

Staying in Jazz, I don't think that Sun Ra is known for any particular album or song. Not a household name, obviously, but he IS undeniably one of those people who "people have heard of" who haven't necessarily heard any of his music.

Is Dr. John known for a particular album or song? I'm unaware of any, though the early part of his career pre-dates my music listening years. He's always just been "that New Orleans guy" to me.
    Dr. John had a hit called Right Place Wrong Time, back in the early 70's. You'd probably recognize it if you heard it, because it gets used a lot in TV shows, movies, and commercials.

Sun Ra is a good example. I think except for fans, most people, even those who know who Ra was, might not be able to name any of his records. I want to say Space Is The Place is a well known track, but I don't know if that's really true or if it's just being such a massive fan that I only "think" that's a well known track.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Pat Metheny?
    Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Metheny - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls among his most famous and defining albums... along with Still Life Talking...
    Bright Size Life ...
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Bright Size Life ...
    I'd like to know where you guys are getting this idea that records like Bright Sized Life and As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls are "famous" records. They might be popular amongst Pat's fans, and I'll certainly submit they're great records, but do they really have the same level of prestige outside that circle as records like Sgt Pepper, Dark Side Of The Moon, Are You Experienced, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Mingus Ah Um, Sketches Of Spain, or A Love Supreme?

do they really have the same level of prestige outside that circle as records like Sgt Pepper, Dark Side Of The Moon, Are You Experienced, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Mingus Ah Um, Sketches Of Spain, or A Love Supreme?
    No. (But I don't think the Dylan, Mingus, and Miles LPs you cite do either; I'd go with BoB, Black Saint & The Sinner Lady, and KoB respectively). I was merely responding that of Metheny's catalog Bright Size Life is, admittedly arguably, the one he's best known for.....

Metheny is pretty known for The Falcon and the Snowman soundtrack, a bit like how Jan Hammer is known for the Miami Vice theme.

Metheny is pretty known for The Falcon and the Snowman soundtrack, a bit like how Jan Hammer is known for the Miami Vice theme.
    I could have sworn I had made a similar point, but maybe I accidentally edited it out unintentionally. Anyhow, I was gonna suggest that the Metheny recording is almost certainly This Is Not America, largely because he got The Sovereign to do the vocals. I don't know how big a hit it was, but I do remember MTV playing the video a lot, and somewhere around here, I have a PMG show where they perform it, so perhaps it was one of those "We have to play it" kind of things, at least for awhile.

And I do agree with your point that Jan Hammer is definitely most famous for doing the Miami Vice music.

I want to say Space Is The Place is a well known track, but I don't know if that's really true or if it's just being such a massive fan that I only "think" that's a well known track.
    Do you know of any good live versions of "Space is the Place?" I ask because Sun Ra did this incredible, amazing, mind-blowingly cool version on Saturday Night Live in the mid 70s. I bought the album based on that performance, and while I do like the album, it sounded way better live. He used a much bigger band for the SNL performance than on the album, for one thing. And I find that the bigger band, with more tonal color available, makes for a better version, IMHO.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Do you know of any good live versions of "Space is the Place?" I ask because Sun Ra did this incredible, amazing, mind-blowingly cool version on Saturday Night Live in the mid 70s. I bought the album based on that performance, and while I do like the album, it sounded way better live. He used a much bigger band for the SNL performance than on the album, for one thing. And I find that the bigger band, with more tonal color available, makes for a better version, IMHO.
    Ra did it numerous times. For bigger group versions check the album of the same title and/or What Planet Is This?.....
    Last edited by mogrooves; 02-21-2013 at 09:52 PM.

meimjustalawnmower
    Michael Nesmith in many ways qualifies for this. None of his songs with The Monkees were really hits, and none of his solo albums or songs were really incredibly big. Maybe "Rio" but that's questionable. Yet, he's without question famous and pioneer in a lot of ways.