Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 66 of 66

Thread: Young Gary Lucas trashes Larks Tongues In Aspic

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,206
    it's just that Captain Who is such a huge artist admired throughout the world that I should find this Lucas guy and kiss his ring for being in Who's band!

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    it's just that Captain Who is such a huge artist admired throughout the world that I should find this Lucas guy and kiss his ring for being in Who's band!
    Now you're just being a disrespectful dick!

    First of all, it's Captain Beefheart, and just because you never heard of him, doesn't mean he's not an important bandleader who made several classic albums in the late 60's through the early 80's and is regarded as a major influence by many musicians throughout the world.

    And I never said you had to "kiss Gary Lucas' ring" or whatever. I merely suggested that you were behaving like a jerk with your commentary on both Lucas and Beefheart.

    Again, I reiterate, not everyone has to share your opinions on whatever it is you happen to think is hot shit. You might be surprised how many people there on this planet who don't share your views.

    I can tell you there are a lot of people who think Larks Tongues In Aspic is mostly tuneless twaddle, maybe even more than there are people who think it's a great record.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-18-2018 at 07:28 PM.

  3. #53
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    2,920
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Do you just enjoy being an asshole, or what?!
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,206
    doubtful that a greater number of the people who have taken the time to listen to the entirety of LTIA (possible millions more than have even heard of Captain Who) think it is "tuneless twaddle", but *your* opinion is apparently more important than everyone elses so have your party and cry if you want to

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Ya know, I just realized my participation in this thread might be viewed as somewhat hypocritical.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    doubtful that a greater number of the people who have taken the time to listen to the entirety of LTIA (possible millions more than have even heard of Captain Who) think it is "tuneless twaddle", but *your* opinion is apparently more important than everyone elses so have your party and cry if you want to
    OK, let me try to explain something to you: not everyone on the planet likes progressive rock music. In fact, a great many people most definitely do not like it, or anything else that doesn't have a melody that they can sing along to or a steady beat they tap their foot to or dance to, or otherwise falls That's just the way it is.

    I've watched fellow audience members at Cleveland Orchestra concerts turn their nose up at contemporary classical music. One lady commented after a performance of Ligeti's violin concerto that "They could have thrown out the sheet music and it would have sounded exactly the same!". I'm fine with that. It's music like that which brings me to Severance Hall sometimes (in that case, it was the first time I had been inside Severance Hall in over 10 years, and the first time it hadn't part of an elementary school field trip).

    Now, me, personally, I love Lark's Tongues In Aspic, I even own the boxset Fripp put out a few years ago (as well as the Starless, Road To Red, and the 80's boxes as well). But I acknowledge the fact that others are gonna disagree with me (maybe even here on PE, there might be those who disagree), and I accept that.

    It seems to you're the one who thinks that your opinion is the most important thing in the world.

    And why am I even participating in this? I've got Howlin' Wolf records to listen to right now!

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    OK, let me try to explain something to you: not everyone on the planet likes progressive rock music. In fact, a great many people most definitely do not like it, or anything else that doesn't have a melody that sing along to or a steady beat they tap their foot to or dance to.
    ya think???

    my point still stands; "doubtful that a greater number of the people who have taken the time to listen to the entirety of LTIA (possible millions more than have even heard of Captain Who) think it is "tuneless twaddle""

    I know the majority of the 8 billion people people in this world either have never heard of, or do not like progressive Rock music. Still, millions have likely heard the entirety of LTIA and the the vast majority of those who have, like it.

    am I the only one who sees the irony of someone praising Captain Beefheart's music while calling LTIA "tuneless twaddle"? The very definition of irony there!

    EDIT: and since you are harping on "opinions", this may come as a shock to you but ALL music appreciation is "opinion"

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

    I know the majority of the 8 billion people people in this world either have never heard of, or do not like progressive Rock music. Still, millions have likely heard the entirety of LTIA and the the vast majority of those who have, like it.
    I think you're overestimating the popularity of King Crimson. I think it's been well established that most of the classic art rock records didn't sell anywhere the kind of numbers that most of us wish it had, and my money says Larks Tongues In Aspic probably falls into that category. For what it's worth, Wikipedia said it only made it 61 on the Billboard charts (I wonder how well it did in Cashbox, probably worse, because the only time anyone brings up Cashbox is to say, "Well, it only got to 61 in Billboard, but Cashbox placed it at 59" or something like that).

    And even if I genuinely believed more than a million people have heard Larks Tongues In Aspic, I still can assure that there's millions more who've never heard of it, but they're predisposed to not liking anything that's even remotely similar to Larks Tongues In Aspic. You may not like this, but playing a record like Larks Tongues In Aspic or Close To The Edge or Foxtrot or whatever is not going to make everyone "see the light", as Joliet Jake does while listening to Reverend Cleophus' sermon at the Triple Rock. A lot of people are going to say, "That stuff is just too weird, NEXT!". I can promise you that's the case.
    am I the only one who sees the irony of someone praising Captain Beefheart's music while calling LTIA "tuneless twaddle"? The very definition of irony there!
    No that's the definition of "poor reading comprehension", on your part!

    Again, I question why I'm actually dignifying this by even commenting on it, but I never said Larks Tongues In Aspic is "tuneless twaddle". What I said is there are people who feel it is, not including myself. I'm sorry if that upsets you, but it's the frelling truth.

    Now, this time I really am going to listen to some Wolf.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    even if I genuinely believed more than a million people have heard Larks Tongues In Aspic, I still can assure that there's millions more who've never heard of it, but they're predisposed to not liking anything that's even remotely similar to Larks Tongues In Aspic. You may not like this, but playing a record like Larks Tongues In Aspic or Close To The Edge or Foxtrot or whatever is not going to make everyone "see the light", as Joliet Jake does while listening to Reverend Cleophus' sermon at the Triple Rock. A lot of people are going to say, "That stuff is just too weird, NEXT!". I can promise you that's the case.
    I happen to know from real life experience that that's the case!

    as far as 'how many people have heard LTIA' the number is closer to 8 billion than "millions"

    if I really cared, I would goog the number of LTIA units sold but as it is I do not care

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    as far as 'how many people have heard LTIA' the number is closer to 8 billion than "millions"
    And how do you reckon that, Kolchak?

  11. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,206
    sorry... "never heard" is what I meant to write, Night Stalker

  12. #62
    I have an opinion. And that's a FACT!

  13. #63
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I have an opinion. And that's a FACT!
    Debatable.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I have an opinion. And that's a FACT!
    What was it Homer Simpson once said? "You can use facts to prove any crazy, crackpot theory you might have!"

  15. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,206
    ^^^


    you *did* say Kolchak and not Kojak right? I mean Telly's lollipop gumshoe was cool but the Night Stalker was even better

  16. #66
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,303
    I know far more people that own* a copy of Trout Mask Replica than own any King Crimson album... don't ask me why... I got no use for TMR. Give me LTiA any day.




    *Note I said own. I cannot attest to the the term "listen" as the the few copies of TMR I've ever inspected still had that "new CD" creak to the case and the CD was shiny as hell. Same with Bitch's Brew.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •