Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix - "Electric Ladyland" (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition with new 5.1 mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    A good album but not in the least perfect. Jimmy's guitar is too noisy, and his playing a bit sloppy at places. The 2 minutes of Have You Ever Been are too mainstream and destroy the final result, despite 78 minutes of great music. Possibly this would be a masterpiece, if it wasn't for this stupid song that ruins all. The production is ok, but mellotrons are low in the mix.

Overall it's an ok effort but I prefer 90125. Or Hold Your Fire. Jimmy died young and didn't reach maturity.
    The worrying thing is, I could think of a few on here who would actually post this and mean it.

I retrospectively discovered that the near-title track very clearly reflects the influence of The Impressions, IMHO, especially the harmony vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    A gorgeous, soulful intro (following the curtain-raiser of "And the Gods Made Love") to one of the greatest albums of the sixties. I love the story that after recording the vocal, Hendrix emerged from the booth in tears, saying "I can sing, man, I can sing!"
    Thanx for the story, I didn't know

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I suppose you mean a double disc affair with the nudie artwork and an abridged single-disc affair called Electric Jimi H as below
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...-jimi-hendrix/

or these two
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...dyland-part-1/
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...dyland-part-2/
    The latter two.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

^Tommy- another Track Records double- was also released in that way. I can't think of any others offhand...must have been specific to them!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Tommy- another Track Records double- was also released in that way. I can't think of any others offhand...must have been specific to them!
    Wheels of Fire, too, released as "In the Studio" and "Live at the Fillmore" volumes.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Wheels of Fire, too, released as "In the Studio" and "Live at the Fillmore" volumes.
    Live Cream Vol 1 and Vol 2 were never properly released as a double disc, but they should have been since it was the same show.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Glad to see this in the main forum where it fucking belongs.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Live Cream Vol 1 and Vol 2 were never properly released as a double disc, but they should have been since it was the same show.
    Are you certain of this? I wasn’t aware that either were from any ONE show, although I know a series at Winterland, iirc, provided some of the recordings
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Are you certain of this? I wasn’t aware that either were from any ONE show, although I know a series at Winterland, iirc, provided some of the recordings
    "...various performances from 9 March to 4 October 1968"

I stand corrected.

I think things get messier with the material which was released posthumously (Cry Of Love etc.). IMHO there still hasn't been a particularly satisfactory collection of all that material.
    those posthumous albums that came out in the 70s were garbage

the Hendrix family has released all that material (unbutchered) on various CDs over the past decade
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

^They should have been a double at the time, probably.

I knew I'd forgotten something obvious! In later years the Hendrix and Who albums were on Polydor too.

(Funny thing is I don't think much of Wheels Of Fire actually was 'at the Fillmore' at all, I think it was Winterland?)

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

the Hendrix family has released all that material (unbutchered) on various CDs over the past decade
    Not true. The first ones like Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge were not tampered with at all. So things like 'Angel', 'Freedom', 'In From The Storm' etc. You're thinking of the Alan Douglas stuff which was and is controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    "...various performances from 9 March to 4 October 1968"

I stand corrected.
    I once sat down and compiled a list of their live stuff and its origin, so for everyone's delectation:

07/03/1968 The Fillmore, San Francisco: Toad*, Rollin’ and Tumblin’†
    08/03/1968 Winterland, San Francisco: Traintime*
    09/03/1968 Winterland, San Francisco: Sleepy Time Time†, Sunshine of Your Love††
    10/03/1968 Winterland, San Francisco: Crossroads*, Spoonful*, Sweet Wine† Tales of Brave Ulysses††, Steppin’ Out††, N.S.U.†
    04/10/1968 Oakland Coliseum Arena: Deserted Cities of the Heart††, White Room††, Politician††
    19/10/1968 The Forum, Los Angeles: I’m So Glad**, Politician**, Sitting on Top of the World**

Wheels of Fire* and Goodbye**, and Live Cream† and Live Cream Volume II††.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Not true. The first ones like Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge were not tampered with at all. So things like 'Angel', 'Freedom', 'In From The Storm' etc. You're thinking of the Alan Douglas stuff which was and is controversial.
    TBH, I think very little posthumous releases are worthy, whether in the 70's (I tried out a few) or the JH Estate (which I've not bothered with)

Of the notable releases in the 70's:
    Cry Of Love never clicked with me... if that was were Jimi was heading, chances are that I wouldn't have followed him for long >> I wanted guitar, not soul-stuff
    Rainbow Bridges does on a few tracks (Yonder, Earth and Train Coming, notably) and for some reasons, I like the movie.
    In The West is definitely a good one
    War Heroes was usually well-regarded, and I kept for much longer that Cry
    I avoided the Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning as everyone knew it was a scam (erasing of Noel and Mitch)
    the last one I heard was Nine To Universe, usually well-regarded, but I'd grown tired of these posthumous releases at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I once sat down and compiled a list of their live stuff and its origin, so for everyone's delectation:

07/03/1968 The Fillmore, San Francisco: Toad*, Rollin’ and Tumblin’†
    08/03/1968 Winterland, San Francisco: Traintime*
    09/03/1968 Winterland, San Francisco: Sleepy Time Time†, Sunshine of Your Love††
    10/03/1968 Winterland, San Francisco: Crossroads*, Spoonful*, Sweet Wine† Tales of Brave Ulysses††, Steppin’ Out††, N.S.U.†
    04/10/1968 Oakland Coliseum Arena: Deserted Cities of the Heart††, White Room††, Politician††
    19/10/1968 The Forum, Los Angeles: I’m So Glad**, Politician**, Sitting on Top of the World**

Wheels of Fire* and Goodbye**, and Live Cream† and Live Cream Volume II††.
    Wow, thanks for this... I've always wondered how to make sense of those Cream concerts
    I guess you could separate the March concerts and the October concerts to make two separate CD-Rs (though you'd have to see if time-wise, it's possible
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^I think there's a version of 'Passing The Time' from one of those shows, maybe the Oakland one, which has yet to see release.

RE; posthumous Hendrix. War Heroes looks like a bit of a mish-mash, but some really great late 60s instrumentals made their debut there- 'Beginnings', 'Midnight' and the cover of Hansson and Karlsson's 'Tax Free' (a live regular for a while). There was another called Loose Ends, which flopped and has mostly been confined to 'archive' CDs since.

Relatively little in the way of noteworthy 'finished' tracks have been released since then. What followed was the Alan Douglas period.

Hm.

The most essential posthumous Hendrix releases must be the ones containing recordings from ballroom-dances during his stints with Don Covay or Curtis Knight, eventually that 1968 recording of him and Johnny Winter being unthankfully joined on stage by a dead-drunk Jim Morrison chanting "...] Fuck her in the ass!"

Being a teenage Hendrix fan and discovering those artifacts surely made my pimples spin.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^I think there's a version of 'Passing The Time' from one of those shows, maybe the Oakland one, which has yet to see release.
    More than just one other track surely?

There's 11 released tracks across the four San Francisco concerts, assuming they played the same set on all four nights, what else might be languishing in the archives?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    eventually that 1968 recording of him and Johnny Winter being unthankfully joined on stage by a dead-drunk Jim Morrison chanting "...] Fuck her in the ass!"
    Woke up this morning and found myself dead...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'll probably end up getting this purely for the blu ray disc and the stuff on disc two. If they've cleaned up that live show and made it half way listenable, that'll be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake root View Post
    If they've cleaned up that live show and made it half way listenable, that'll be a bonus.
    Not sure that that is possible. I look forward to hearing the results.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Was that "Passing the Time" or "We're Going Wrong"?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hm.

The most essential posthumous Hendrix releases must be the ones containing recordings from ballroom-dances during his stints with Don Covay or Curtis Knight, eventually that 1968 recording of him and Johnny Winter being unthankfully joined on stage by a dead-drunk Jim Morrison chanting "...] Fuck her in the ass!"

Being a teenage Hendrix fan and discovering those artifacts surely made my pimples spin.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Johnny Winter is not on that recording, even though the original bootleg, "Sky High," stated he was. The confusion began because it was recorded at Steve Paul's The Scene Club. Paul was Johnny's manager. The house band was The McCoys, led by Rick Derringer, who is likely the second guitarist. I'm not 100% convinced of that because the guitar playing isn't very good. But, it's definitely not Johnny, who also claimed that he never met Morrison. The McCoys eventually became Johnny's backing band in And.

For the record, the original bootleg did not include Morrison's "Fuck her up the ass" rant. But, he was still on it. It also was semi-officially (?) released under some other titles, including "High Live and Dirty."

But, definitely no Johnny.

Was his jam with Cream recorded and available?
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    More than just one other track surely?

There's 11 released tracks across the four San Francisco concerts, assuming they played the same set on all four nights, what else might be languishing in the archives?
    Lots more but I mentioned that because it's otherwise undocumented, rather than more versions of the same songs (I'm not sure there's any other songs not documented by Wheels Of Fire, Goodbye or Live 1/2). And yes, definitely 'Passing The Time'.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    That one and the 2nd half of the Royal Albert Hall show did the rounds on crappy budget CDs in Europe for years.
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-13-2018 at 10:39 AM.

[B]

That one and the 2nd half of the Royal Albert Hall show did the rounds on crappy budget CDs in Europe for years.
    But where's the opening set by Soft Machine - their first gig with Hugh?

sigh.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

But where's the opening set by Soft Machine - their first gig with Hugh?

sigh.
    It will eventually pop up in the 100th birthday Electric Ladyland edition with a holographic Jim introducing Soft Machine. :-)
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Not sure that that is possible. I look forward to hearing the results.
    It’s a new soundboard source that was recently returned to the JH estate.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee