Thread: IQ in Canada Oct 2018

IQ in Canada Oct 2018

Less than a month to go !!
    Oct 3--Quebec City
    Oct 4--Montreal

Celebrating 25th anniversary release of EVER !!

Quebec City comfortable seated venue...

"Further Away" live--What more needs to be said ??

Yup....have tickets for both shows AND Progstock! Gonna be an IQ-Fest!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

So close & yet so far

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    See ya in Montreal

Montreal bound!

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Prognosticator View Post

Celebrating 25th anniversary release of EVER !!
    HOLY CRAP!!!! 25 years ago!!!

My full original intent was to go to the Montreal show but when Progstock announced Eddie Jobson plays UK, that was a total game or trip changer!!

So, see you guys who are also headed to Rahway New Jersey BUT I will still be going to Montreal for the Roger Hodgson shows at the end of October ;-)

Not only they will play most or all of Ever but will premier new material too!

Just noticed on the Club Soda website that the show is "Seated event - Cabaret setting"? Could it be that they are going to go easy on my feet for once? I thought for sure it would be standing room only.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Just noticed on the Club Soda website that the show is "Seated event - Cabaret setting"? Could it be that they are going to go easy on my feet for once? I thought for sure it would be standing room only.
    So seated general admission?

Quote Originally Posted by schlongasaurus View Post
    So seated general admission?
    I assume so. From what I understand, there's not a bad view in the house, it's pretty small... so I doubt anyone has to worry too much about getting there super early.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Any of you NorthEasterners recommend a "quick" border crossing between the US & Canada for heading to either Montreal or Quebec city? I'm driving from Newark Airport to the Quebec show. Out here in Washington State, the crossing is ridiculously slow.....over an hour to cross....I use an Enhanced Drivers License* so I go through quickly BUT I have to wait for all the folks ahead of me!

*Enhanced Drivers License - has a chip in the card to transmit my info to the border so they pre-clear me.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Any of you NorthEasterners recommend a "quick" border crossing between the US & Canada for heading to either Montreal or Quebec city? I'm driving from Newark Airport to the Quebec show. Out here in Washington State, the crossing is ridiculously slow.....over an hour to cross....I use an Enhanced Drivers License* so I go through quickly BUT I have to wait for all the folks ahead of me!

*Enhanced Drivers License - has a chip in the card to transmit my info to the border so they pre-clear me.
    usually just heading north on I87, aka "the northway" (great name, huh?) isn't too bad, as long as it isn't a holiday weekend or something. did the trip about 2 months ago, maybe 10 minutes at the border, max.

best of luck!

I assume so. From what I understand, there's not a bad view in the house, it's pretty small... so I doubt anyone has to worry too much about getting there super early.
    There still might be standing. Not sure if there is a seat for every ticket sold. So rolling in just before 8pm might require standing or not sitting with the group you are with.

Killer show last night in Montreal. Band were tight, well received and that was a cool little venue. Nothing from The Seventh House or Dark Matter which was a shame, but we did get a new song and I gained a new appreciation for the tracks Closer and Came Down. Ending the night with Widow's Peak was fantastic! I managed to get the new anniversary edition of Ever, which was promptly sold out about three people later. So Progstock attendees, beware... you'll need to order online.

Killer show last night in Montreal. Band were tight, well received and that was a cool little venue. Nothing from The Seventh House or Dark Matter which was a shame, but we did get a new song and I gained a new appreciation for the tracks Closer and Came Down. Ending the night with Widow's Peak was fantastic! I managed to get the new anniversary edition of Ever, which was promptly sold out about three people later. So Progstock attendees, beware... you'll need to order online.
    I must’ve been right behind you in line as I missed out on the Ever remix. I got there earlier than I normally would to snag one but no go. The show was well worth driving up from Massachusetts. I’ve seen them twice and both times they ignored the Dark Matter album but they have a great catalogue so I left happy. Montreal has some tremendous record stores!

I sat in the sixth row for the Quebec gig. Nice that the volume was under control so no ear plugs needed. I got up about 1 hour into the show to go stand next to Rob Aubrey who was mixing sound. It sounded MUCH better in the back of the hall! I think I was sitting too close......no stage amps but a Lot of the acoustic sound of the drums! Majestic IQ benefits from the full-hall sound. I liked the clutter-less stage setup and the video projections really was a treat. Some technical glitches were minor....it may have been monitor mixes as it seems all the iPads were switched out over the evening. Drove to Montreal the next day....Club Soda was a great venue for IQ-ness! They had a proper sound system that really handled the bass pedals without getting out of control....of course, I mainly credit Mr. Aubrey for this but Holy Hell! what an effect! Sound was also restrained so as to need no ear plugs. I liked this venue better as there was plenty of seating.....the bar was in the same room so you could stand, sit, get a drink......(you still had to leave the room to pee.. ). In Quebec I felt constrained sitting in my seat in neat little rows......I waited 25 Years to see IQ and it was frustrating to be contained in that little chair. No, I Was Not Sitting Comfortably. Anyway, Friday came the 8 hour drive to Rahway, NJ. The border crossings were a breeze......but I feel like I'm on tour too.......2,800 mile flight to Newark.....1,200 mile drive to Canada and back...it will be good to just sit at Progstock for a few days....I'm in the sixth row again for IQ tonight. Has it been worth it? You Bet!

As for the Merch......it was all there in Quebec. I pulled out my Card.....no cards accepted.....pulled out my Greenbacks.....no US Currency?.....She said she hadn't figured out the exchange so she was going to charge the same for US and Canadian Dollars. So I gladly whipped out my Loonies and saved 25% over the US Dollar. They did run out of Ever 25 in Montreal.....don't know if there are more in the US but another vendor here at Progstock has copies for sale. The Ever 25 tee shirt is pretty cool.....other than that.....the other Merch was just back catalog....easily attainable here in the states.

Much thanks To Kenschwartz (who is sitting behind me here at Progstock) for the accurate Border Crossing info.....it was a no-wait Breeze!
    Last edited by Garyhead; 10-06-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Disappointed to hear they aren't doing any of Dark Matter (and they already sold all of their stock of Ever, even before Progstock--wtf), but really looking forward to tonight.

Glad to hear that another vendor will be carrying Ever 25. Sucks for people to miss out after only two shows (technically only one show, as it was gone before the Montreal show even began.)

Heading home to Toronto today, was a nice week's holiday in Montreal as always. Lots of wining, dining and CD shopping!

Enjoy the show tonight, the band is in fine form.

Putting this here even though it's Not "IQ in Canada" just to complete the story. Go see the Progstock thread for more reviews.

Show started 1 1/2 hours late due to "technical difficulties". They let us in the hall after an hour so we got to see everyone running around. Looked like those "damned iPads" again! So, 10:30pm start with a curfew at 12:00am. Limited talk between songs. Started off great with sound! (4th row center). By 11:00pm they got word that the curfew was extended so after a bit of jumbling, they restored the cut pieces. Played until 12:30am so only 15 minutes of the set was cut.....the new piece Mome and Came Down. From where I was sitting, it was the same problem as Quebec, too close. 1/2 hour into the set, the keyboards disappeared and most of the guitar.....Peter was coming through a Center Channel above the proscenium and then Cookies acoustic Drum sounds. The bass was clearer than previous nights.
    It was around 1:30am when the meet & greet started..... Told Cookie & Peter I attended all three shows and they asked me which one I liked best.....Told them the Montreal gig and they said that was the bands choice as well.
    So....Saw IQ Three times in four days! Got a Tour Tee (yes, an XXL) and a 25th Anniversary Ever CD signed by the band. I say "mission accomplished!".
    As many of you multi-day Festival goers can appreciate......it's Sunday morning and the last day of concerts......my ass is dragging......hoping for a "soft start" this morning at Prog Church.......unlike that year at Nearfest when Morglbl took the stage at 11:am....
    Last edited by Garyhead; 10-07-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling.....ocd grammar!

^^^ Man, that's too bad about the technical difficulties. Not so much for you personally (Garyhead) as you got to see all three shows, but for a lot of others. That said, I'm happy to hear the Montreal gig was the best one. I really liked hearing Mome (the new song) and like I mentioned earlier, Came Down was a highlight, particularly since it was never a favourite of mine on record.

Definitely in an IQ phase at the moment (although I have a stack of CDs I bought while in Montreal. I'll never get tired of dropping a couple of bills at Freeson Rock and Aux 33 Tours.)

A couple of technical glitches were sorted out early into EVER's opener "The Darkest Hour" &
    one of the rare and treasured events--A North American IQ show--was under way !!!

From the 3rd row's left side in Quebec City's Salle Jean-Paul-Tardif (a comfortable seated college auditorium)
    the sound was loud and powerful--especially the energetic playing of drummer Cook and the
    impeccable Hackett-esque tone of guitarist Holmes who were about 25' directly ahead.

Singer Nicholls emotive and somewhat fragile voice was up to the task-(no apparent illnesses this time around)
    delivering his sometimes cryptic lyrics via solid melodic ideas. As is his custom drama was part of his presentation.

Bassist Esau & Durant's keyboards supplemented or led the music brilliantly as expected.

As you may have guessed IMO the catalog of music of the Prog / Neo-Prog icons IQ stands with the best !!!
    Putting together a setlist will always leave out many, many favorites. Because of the consistent
    high quality level of their discography there will ALWAYS be some disappointment when the final song is played.

In a interesting twist to the recent trend of groups who feature the playing of a specific album.
    The "Ever" record was played in a random way interspersed with songs from 5 other records.
    I found that to be a cool and novel way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the important album.

The middle of the show featured the rarely played and IMHO one of their greatest epics "Further Away"
    IQ reworked the ending to "increase the epic-ness" and I do believe they did just that !!!

After about 2 hours the appreciative QC crowd gave the band the raucous send off to Montreal & the USA
    that they fully deserved.

It's really a blessing when the group decides to cross the pond for a few shows and I hope they decide to return
    to promote their upcoming album in 2019. Bought the EVER 25 edition 3 disc set at show, haven't heard it yet.

Special kudos to Michael Holmes whose tone & style emphasized not how many notes are played but
    what emotion is put into each note..it was stellar...A great night for all in beautiful Quebec City !!!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We loved the Montreal show. We'll head back to Montreal next month for Steven Wilson and Gong.