Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Bruford autobiography

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I tried to buy this but its out of stock everywhere I try. I guess I'll have to get it used. Too bad, I wish he'd get it for Nook books. Its like free for him to allow it, and I'd still gladly pay the full 29 bucks for it. - Apparently he already has enough money and doesn't need my humble contributions to his coffers. I am both impressed and dissapointed.
    It's on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Bill-Bruford-.../dp/1905792433
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

It's also available on his website
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

I'm about 3/4 through it. Very well written. Bruford is really quite an intelligent guy. I agree with No Pride's assessment that it's essentially a "musician's handbook". Bruford really isn't complimentary at all towards Robert Fripp. It seems odd that he considered Crimson to be his "mother ship" despite his obvious disdain for Fripp's peculiarities. It's also sad to read about Allan Holdsworth's insecurities about his performances. He seemed never to be satisfied with anything, almost to the point of being clinically OCD. It's also startling to see how little he made on his touring with Genesis and Yes. I mean, it seems he barely made a living wage!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I'm about 3/4 through it. Very well written. Bruford is really quite an intelligent guy. I agree with No Pride's assessment that it's essentially a "musician's handbook". Bruford really isn't complimentary at all towards Robert Fripp. It seems odd that he considered Crimson to be his "mother ship" despite his obvious disdain for Fripp's peculiarities. It's also sad to read about Allan Holdsworth's insecurities about his performances. He seemed never to be satisfied with anything, almost to the point of being clinically OCD. It's also startling to see how little he made on his touring with Genesis and Yes. I mean, it seems he barely made a living wage!
    The money side of things was interesting. People see these massive tours and think everyone on stage is making loads of money, but that is often not the case.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    BB might be able to make some more money if he made his book available as an e-book, though I don't know what it costs upfront to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I think a lot of people would be surprised how the $'s flow in the music industry.. Multiple books I've read over the years where artist point this out.
    "Hands off, Mister Ten Percent!
    We've got a gig tonight! Ha!
    Do you think we're gonna pay your rent?
    Working for you 'til the end of our life!

At first you took ten, tomorrow it's twenty!
    The more we give the more you want, ha!
    How could you think that you're still a friend?
    It might be fifty in the end!

A big Mercedes
    A house on a hill
    A week in Sweden
    And we're paying the bill!

We paid your dinner
    But not for long
    As we get thinner
    Taxis, hotels
    So on, and so on….."

One of the things he said has stuck with me since. It went something like “some of the best musicians I ever worked with made as much as a grocery store clerk.” I’m sure it’s been even harder on musicians since this pandemic hit.

To anyone not sure about reading Brufords book I highly recommend it. A truly great read

"You’re an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill."

best autobiography I ever read, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    "You’re an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill."
    Gotta love an obscure spy reference on a prog site!

I hope Bruford releases this on ebook as I've been wanting to read it. My old eyes need to adjust the text size!

Quote Originally Posted by selfextraction View Post
    Gotta love an obscure spy reference on a prog site!
    Obscure spy reference? That's a line from Apocalypse Now, isn't it?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm still very impressed with him getting a doctorate of music after his playing days were done.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I'm still very impressed with him getting a doctorate of music after his playing days were done.
    - Discipline!

I have supervised many older PhD students: it's not easy getting a doctorate, particularly when you're coming back to study after many years away.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Obscure spy reference? That's a line from Apocalypse Now, isn't it?
    Dammit. You're right!

Was thinking it was The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.....

I was watching the Genesis concert film from 1976 last weekend and while seeing Bruford playing my thoughts were: This guy has played drums in the BEST progressive rock bands ever, what a resume he took away with him!
    Just to think, he played very complexe music with supreme skill and creativity in bands like YES - KING CRIMSON - GENESIS - UK - BRUFORD BAND - ABWH . Now that resume stands far beyond any PhD in my book!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I wonder why he did it. He hasn't returned to musical activity, and AFAIK hasn't put it to use in academia. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I wonder why he did it. He hasn't returned to musical activity, and AFAIK hasn't put it to use in academia. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I suppose just for his own satisfaction.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He turned his thesis into a book. Maybe he just wanted to do it.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I was watching the Genesis concert film from 1976 last weekend and while seeing Bruford playing my thoughts were: This guy has played drums in the BEST progressive rock bands ever, what a resume he took away with him!
    Just to think, he played very complexe music with supreme skill and creativity in bands like YES - KING CRIMSON - GENESIS - UK - BRUFORD BAND - ABWH . Now that resume stands far beyond any PhD in my book!!
    Well, yes...he is the most important drummer in my estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Well, yes...he is the most important drummer in my estimate.
    He is for me as well. There are faster players, striking more drum notes during a solo than Bill, more schooled even. There are definitely flashier players. But great as those guys are they aren't as interesting or original as Mr. Bill Bruford. And most of them did not play in such amazing bands as Bill. Of course this is just my opinion.

His getting his PhD after retiring is very admirable in my view. His book is without question a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    best autobiography I ever read, by far.
    For me, Bill's book and Keith Emerson's Pictures of an Exhibitionist are #1 and #1A.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Don't forget his short touring stint with both National Health and Gong

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    For me, Bill's book and Keith Emerson's Pictures of an Exhibitionist are #1 and #1A.

Neil
    Agree, two of the top R & R biographies for sure. Both great books.