Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: What Went Wrong With Calling All Stations?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Re I Know What I Like, maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm in the camp which really loved the extended instrumental jam when the post-Gabriel band did that live. Obviously when Peter sang the song, he acted out the lawnmower aspect and emphasized the English humor of the rather simple but effective song.

So when Phil sings the song, he's not going to try to replicate Pete's schtick, so he does the tambourine bit in the middle. That got the crowd into it as he impressively kept time while hitting kicking and even knocking it on his head etc. What I found fascinating is as that aspect was highlighted, Banks was allowed the freedom to improvise on the keys and add different synth bits, adding the Stagnation part etc, and I always found that more casual impromptu jam a real highlight of the live concerts. Genesis usually stuck pretty close to how the albums sounded and IKWIL was a welcome exception and showed their looser side. The tune got longer and longer and obviously Genesis knew it was a highlight because they moved it to one of the last tunes or an encore tune by 80/81/82 and those IKWILs grew to about 10-11 minutes long. The live versions on the Duke, Abacab and 3SL tours were awesome and real crowd pleasers.
    I agree with all of that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I still disagree, the chorus is dreadful and becomes boring rather fast, and to make it worse, they drag it on waaaay too long. They could've added a new song to the setlist had they shortened it. Yes, the lawnmower and tambourine bits are great, but that chorus.... eeeeeeeeeek!!!!
    But let me say, I think music is subjective and it comes down to personal preference, and there are no definitive right or wrong answers unless we're talking about something technical.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    I was 11 and already a Genesis fan when ABACAB came out. AUTOBUY. Got it from record store (pre-ordered). I remember the happiness when the phone call finally came. YOUR NEW GENESIS ALBUM ARRIVED, YOU CAN PICK IT UP. Could not wait to get out from school... run to the record store. Got it!

Run back home. Placed it on the trusty old Pioneer PL-400. Needle drops. Great, the pressing is pretty quiet!. Then the music starts.

WTF!!!!!????????

Could not believe my ears. All those washed cars and hours working at hardware store and the supermarket, down the drain...

After a few more listens, I admitted that "Dodo", "Me and Sarah Jane" were good songs and pretty much traditional Genesis songs. Realized that also applies to "No Reply At All", minus the horns. But 3 songs. And not only that. The rest are abysmal. A hard and fast fall from grace. After that, came the respite of "3 Sides Live" which, after all, had Dodo and Me And Sarah Jane, the good songs, plus only Abacab from the crappy ones; my version was the one without the studio songs, instead, it had the 1978 tour songs and the 1976 Bill Bruford live songs - that was good.

For the next album I made the point of listening to it first. So, the last studio album I bought from Genesis, was Abacab when I was 11.

v
    Abacab is a great album that showcases the band's strengths in their best light. It wipes the floor with junk like And Then There Were Three, which is the horrifying direction the band was on after Steve Hackett left.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Abacab is a great album that showcases the band's strengths in their best light. It wipes the floor with junk like And Then There Were Three, which is the horrifying direction the band was on after Steve Hackett left.
    You do have a great point - it does showcase the band's strengths at the time - they had everything that other bands did not have to survive and thrive in the 80s - and they did...

v

It took ten pages but good to see that we finally reached a consensus that CAS is Genesis' best album since Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I still disagree, the chorus is dreadful and becomes boring rather fast, and to make it worse, they drag it on waaaay too long. They could've added a new song to the setlist had they shortened it. Yes, the lawnmower and tambourine bits are great, but that chorus.... eeeeeeeeeek!!!!
    But let me say, I think music is subjective and it comes down to personal preference, and there are no definitive right or wrong answers unless we're talking about something technical.

Genesis had a few of those simpler "hook" choruses:
    I know what I like, and I like what I know...
    We've got to get in to get out....
    You better start doin it right....
    I will follow you, will you follow me....

I see nothing wrong with that-- a bunch of lads from Liverpool had great success with simple catchy hook choruses

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    It took ten pages but good to see that we finally reached a consensus that CAS is Genesis' best album since Duke.
    We always come to a consenseless on PE, you should know that.